• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

53's on an LMTV

engele

Hi,

any news about the 16" tires?`Someone mount them and they fit?
I will order tires..... But i´m not sure. In the back is no problem. But on the front to the fender?

coachgeo

This is a steyr 12m18 with 16' Tires. ???The Position of the Front Axel is on the lmtv more to the Front/fender???
sorry can't put the link in. YouTube steyr 12m18 16.00 excap
1 Looks so nice with big Tire, like a Truck for men's
2 good Solution to down with the rpm.

Any news or pictures?

This is a fmtv i think with 14.00tires. But Thats only about 6.3% larger.
http://www.military-today.com/trucks/m1083_mtv.htm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh8cFjm7npQ

Just to clarify, are you saying the Steyr front axle is mounted further forward than ones on an FMTV?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had thought about 53's on my MTV but if it does not fit in the stock rack then I will stay with the 395's. I don't want to get caught without a spare. I am a believer that the tire size does not make the Johnson any bigger and 395's are still a good size tire.

coachgeo

only reason I'd consider larger tires are to bridge the gap between pocket book, eventual need for new tires anyway and high speed (oxymoron) 3rd member. Another words; since will eventually NEED new tires... and will never really NEED high speed geared 3rd members... a taller tire just seems logical in between selection between NEED and WANT.

1951M1078

I had thought about 53's on my MTV but if it does not fit in the stock rack then I will stay with the 395's. I don't want to get caught without a spare. I am a believer that the tire size does not make the Johnson any bigger and 395's are still a good size tire.
Would you if the tire crane/holder could be made to fit the bigger tire ?

engele

Hi,
i checked my lmtv today. The Most Problem ist the Mount for the cap Suspension. Even the 395 Tires rub on it. ��

I think to modifie the Tire rack should the easier Problem. On the rear tires are about 5cm Space to the Center and on the front about 3 cm when the axles is crossed, is the crossed the right Word? Hope so.

Best regards

Chism

No,
the LMTV axle is further forward.
If you look more closely, the fore-aft axle positions on each truck are actually nearly identical. The centerline of the hub on each truck is just aft of the front edge of the extended cab window.

The big difference is that the Steyr has a significantly greater ride height. The top of the rim is below the first solid stepping point on the 12m18, while the top of the rim on the LMTV is above the first stepping point. That's at least a 4-inch ride height difference. Not sure if this difference is due to frame, springs, blocks, and/or axles...thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They "fit". However, wheel travel may bring the meaty monsters in contact with frame and bed structure. I would question if the front will hit during normal turning. All that said, I did see a truck being built by a FD for brush fires with them on it. Check out post #24 of this thread.

coachgeo

On the 4x4 is there room to put say a one or two inch block lift under the leaf springs? For 6x6 or 4x4 one could put in cut a small wheel well into the bed? if needed. Not sure how one could lift the rear of a 6x6 to accommodate the 53's

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe the limitation on a 6x6 will be that the rear axles are too close together for 53's. The tires on the rear will contact each other or not even fit by my measurements. I can't imagine the fabrication/engineering needed to spread the axles apart. That would not be worth the trouble IMHO.

coachgeo

I believe the limitation on a 6x6 will be that the rear axles are too close together for 53's. The tires on the rear will contact each other or not even fit by my measurements. I can't imagine the fabrication/engineering needed to spread the axles apart. That would not be worth the trouble IMHO.
Agreed, granted it matters one's experience. Very competent fabricator Welder might find it just a heavy duty project to tackle. Would expect if someone reallly wanted to and had the means; they would have to make longer leaf springs and everything else that attaches to leaf spring and/or the axle would have to be lengthened as well... Axles hang on each end of the leaf spring thus with them being further apart probably would mean the center attachment the inverted leaf spring pivots on would have to be beefed up and the list goes on... and on... and on.

rd3war

On the 4x4 is there room to put say a one or two inch block lift under the leaf springs? For 6x6 or 4x4 one could put in cut a small wheel well into the bed? if needed. Not sure how one could lift the rear of a 6x6 to accommodate the 53's
I think a one or two inch lift would work ok under the leaf springs. Since a lot of these trucks are 20+ years and have very long leaf springs with only 3 in the stack it would not surprise me if gravity has caused them to sag slightly. So a one inch lift might actually get the ride height back to where it originally was. Factory shocks should still be ok with that small of a lift. Another thing would be to make sure that the air ride is functional for the cab, that would also add a couple inches of vertical clearance for larger tires.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I may have just found information that will make my earlier post obsolete... Video of a M-1088 in operation with larger shoes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8Egy5Wfit8

and...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD2PTA9w2DA

coachgeo

Just checked and they responded to my questions to my surprise. Here is what they posted at youtube.

GorillaRig said:
coachgeo said:
is the spare also a 16x20? Does it raise and lower fine? Did you modify the Spare Tire holder to fit the larger tire? Have you used lower air pressures with the 16x20's. especially concerned for potential tire contact between two tires in rear. Looks like you put a different model tire as furthest back of the two on each side..... was this cause tire diameter of one is little smaller than other to help avoid potential contact? Any rubbing on chassis with front tires? Did you lift anything to allow for better fitment of these over-sized tires? THANK YOU in advance for providing this information.
REPLY:
The spare is not a 16x20, the spare rack would need modified to hold that size. Yes, it raises and lowers great. We have not used lower air pressures with the 16x20s. The different tires are the same sizes, just different treads, what we had in stock. The front tires only rub on chassis with hard turns. No, have not lifted anything on truck to fit tires better. ......

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks