• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12v and volt gauge relays

Since I am running 12volts I removed the starter solenoid today as I wired the floor shifter neutral safety switch. This got me wondering if I can remove the two relays next to it and if so, what do I need to do.

cpf240

One relay is for the voltmeter, the other for GEN 2, the exciter circuit I believe.

The way the voltmeter is wired, it is hot all the time, so the relay switches the ground connection when the key is in the run position, so you may want to keep that one unless you rewire the gauge power supply to some other switched source.

Is GEN 2 still in use in the truck? If so, then the relay is probably needed as well. I"m sure there must be a way to do away with it, but it may require other wiring changes.

Let us know how it goes!

I am running two newer style alts. My volt gauge is a different one reading all 12v. I'm just wondering what I can remove. Are there any wires to the relays that are keyed hot? Do any of the wires need to be connected to keep something else running?

cpf240

The relay for the voltmeter doesn't "power" anything.. it just provides the ground path for the voltmeter. However, I don't believe that there is anything else in that circuit.

I removed both relays and am using the keyed pink black wires to switch other things now. I had to splice the two brown alt relay wires to keep the gen 2 light working. As I have two cs type alts now, it wouldn't affect the charging. My alts get their excite signal from other keyed sources.
Thanks all.
Still have a glow plug card to remove...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks