• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"only fill 3/4"

RoosterJ

I took delivery of a 87 M1038 the other day from Ft. Bragg, despite all the flooding. My thoughts and prayers to those affected by the hurricane. There is an odd [to me] red Dymo label at the top of the gauge panel, "ONLY FILL 3/4". Now, I assume it refers to the fuel tank. Any ideas why? Maybe a hole accidentally drilled in the top of the tank? The fuel gauge pegs on full all the time, so probably pulling the tank at some point anyway, but I am curious if there are any known issues with topping the tank.

Attachments

Jakob1944

I took delivery of a 87 M1038 the other day from Ft. Bragg, despite all the flooding. My thoughts and prayers to those affected by the hurricane. There is an odd [to me] red Dymo label at the top of the gauge panel, "ONLY FILL 3/4". Now, I assume it refers to the fuel tank. Any ideas why? Maybe a hole accidentally drilled in the top of the tank? The fuel gauge pegs on full all the time, so probably pulling the tank at some point anyway, but I am curious if there are any known issues with topping the tank.
Might be an "Airborne or Air Drop" requirement for the Airborne.....like full tank and loaded in a aircraft on a hot day.....fuel expands and leaks inside the plane.....my wild asp guess

2w091

Our tank leaks slightly if you fill it all the way up. The plastic tanks have many limitations from what I've read. I have a replacement fuel tank, but haven't changed it out yet.

RoosterJ

Might be an "Airborne or Air Drop" requirement for the Airborne.....like full tank and loaded in a aircraft on a hot day.....fuel expands and leaks inside the plane.....my wild asp guess
It's a good one though.

Dash placard:

FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:

Lawdog734

Sorry you feel that way......I was a 1/Sgt....I spent 20 in the Army in Line and Maint units......82nd, 25th and 101st.....
No worries at all. I've done my time as well and have seen all sorts of stupid things during the course of my enlistment. The fact that you did 20 should mean that you've seen considerably more stupid stuff.

Someone put a note on it regarding a revised capacity versus actually being concerned about getting it fixed. Then again, it's possible the gauge failed prior to turn in and knowing that it would be turned in, the unit didn't bother to fix it. Ultimately, who knows as it's really speculation on everyone's part.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All vehicles going on aircraft have to be 1/4 tank or less of fuel in the tank, this should be checked during JI "joint inspection". This is what I do for the Air Force....
The Army trucks are certainly better maintained then the Marine corp trucks, that much I do know. The MC trucks I get trashed. The Army trucks seems to have all the MWO's, SOUM applied etc...

rhinob

Mine leaked slightly when filled all the way up. Drove it 2-3 miles and it stopped leaking. Anyway, it didn't leak enough to not fill it all the way up if I'm traveling in it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks