• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tool Box Items

Triton

Does anyone know what items where put in the tool box for a Mep 803 trailer? Also where could I find the grounding rod items in this picture?

Genset accessories.jpg

Guyfang

Staff member
Let's start over here. MEP 803 trailer. What do you mean? A trailer that has a MEP-803 gen set on it? Or are you talking about a PU-803 Power Unit, that has a 30 KW gen set on a M200 style trailer?

If you are talking about a PU, (Power unit, a gen set on a trailer designed to carry gen set) then look at the Data plate on the Trailer. It should tell you what kind of a PU it is. Then I can tell you what TM is used for that PU. Then you can look at the BII listing, get a description of what should be on the trailer. It gives a brief overview along with part numbers and NSN's.

Not all PU's are created equal. Different PU's, had Different BII.

The "two big handed tool" is like JUANPRADO said, is a ground rod slide hammer. Makes driving a ground rod WAY easier. And even better, WAY easier to remove one. If you have ever done it, you will definitely know what I mean!

Once you have the NSNs, you can type them into your browser and come up with a source. Or fleabay. That kind of thing should have been in the PU when it was hocked off.

Triton

That was just a picture that I found of the grounding rod kit, I would like to purchase those items. Here is a picture of the trailer I have , I was just wondering about what was stored in the box, I noticed the non flammable gas sticker on the box but mine didn't have anything in it when I purchased it.

Trailer.jpg

Guyfang

Staff member
Triton,

There should be another data plate on the trailer. It is normally on the fender. Take another look. The data plate you photographed, is just for the trailer.

lonesouth

mine also came with a new, still in a bag, output lug wrench that was deeper than the one in the generator. Not sure, but you may be missing the extension for the drum adapter.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sportsman's Guide has, or had, the 3 section ground rod kits on sale for about $20. Check with Gimpyrobb or Lance Robson for the slide hammers.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
The data plate I mean looks something like this.

View attachment Dok1.docx

On a Power plant, or Power Unit, there are three data plates. One on the gen set. Two on the trailer. One of those is for just the trailer. The second "mates" the gen set to the trailer. They then become a Power plant or Power unit.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PU798A data tag.jpg
My unit is a PU-798A (MEP-803A on a LTT-HC)

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
For every vehicle and/or piece of military equipment, the BII (Basic Issue Items) and the AAI (Additional Authorized Items) is listed in the back of the Technical Manual for the operators level which will end in a -10. Note there are sometimes a -12 or a -14 manual which would be a repairers manual in addition to the operators manual. If you see a P at the end, it's a parts manual. There isn't a -10P they're only at the -20 and higher levels. Some of the older folks may refer to the different manuals as Operators (-10 level), Organizational (-20 level), Direct Support (-30), and General Support (-40). You may occasionally see a -50 which is a depot level but that's rare they made those for many of the different pieces of equipment.

Many items of equipment have the TM (technical manual) numbers on it so you can seek and find on the internet IF you can't find it within the TM section of this website but then again, this website about has all of the unclassified manuals.

I did a thread up many years ago about how to look up repair parts in the P manuals and determine the manufacture and their part number. Search for that thread to help you out.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
BTW, I have several grounding rod sets and the wire, connectors, etc. I might have some extra slide rod stuff. Sure we can come to some agreement on price. The ride will be the problem.

At some point I'm coming to northeast TX or you can look for someone heading that way on the steel soldiers express. Currently all of the items are in the Harrisburg, PA area. I'm working on moving back to TX as soon as I can get my happy azz transferred back down there. Entire family longs to get back!!!!!

Guyfang

Staff member
View attachment 649999

My unit is a PU-798A (MEP-803A on a LTT-HC)
This is what I wanted to get at. If you tell me the PU number, I can give you the correct TM number. Here is an example of the right data plate. The proper TM for this PU-798A is: TM 9-6115-660-13&P. The trailer chassis is a standard piece of equipment. In the case of the PU-798A, its a M116A3 trailer chassis. It has a standard army gen set on it, an MEP-803A. Certain modifications have to be made to the trailer and gen set, to combine them.

So, it is no longer a standard trailer. And the gen set is no longer a standard gen set. It becomes a PU-798A. Even though these setups look the same, they can sometimes have different BII.

The PU manual also explains the differences between the standard, and modified equipment. You also get info on how to maintain the PU. If the PU has a synchronization box, there is instructions for it. Last but not least, a parts manual is included in the PU manual to cover all these nonstandard items.

On larger setups, it is no longer call a PU, (Power Unit), it called a PP, (Power Plant). PP's are a matched set of PU's, with the associated cables and distribution boxes connect the two PU's, to allow you to synchronize, load share and Parallel Operation.

Guyfang

Staff member
Right on the mark. The TM you need is the same as I referenced in message 18.

TM 9-6115-660-13&P. If you don't have it, and it is not in the SS TM section, let me know and I will post it ASAP!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks