• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

correct lube for Braden LU4 winch

just me

Since there seems to be much vodoo and confusion in the selection of oil for the winches, I decided to research it during the course of my rebuild.
After reading all the claims and snake oil, the advocacy of greases, specialty lubes and common lubes, I went to the source for a recommendation. (PACCAR Corp. The people who make Bradon winches.)
I was hoping the lube would be something I had on hand or wouldn't have to pay two arms for. I was lucky. The lubricants they recommend for the worm drive winches are
Mobilgear600xp 460 or 680 depending on temperature
Shell Omala 460 or 680
Chevron gear compound EP460
Texaco Meropa 460

The EP and XP refer to compounds in the oils and are pressure additives and help to keep the gears alive in the extreme shear load that worm drives have.
The Mobil product is readily available, but in 5 gal pails. I didn't want to buy 5 gallons to use 2 quarts.
I researched the other oils and found out the Shell Omala is simply a name change from Shell Valvata J460! I have a few gallons of that!
In fact all the oils are rebrands of previous oils that WERE formerly known as Steam Cylinder Oil. Not much call for Steam cylinder oil in today's world, but those of us who still play with steam engines, have it around.

So, if you want the CORRECT lube in your winch that will work to spec and do no damage to the winch, you can use any of the above. Or not. It is your winch.
FROM PACCAR:
"RECOMMENDED WORM GEAR OIL
We have published the following specifications to help you determine which lubricant is best suited for your
application. For simplicity, Braden has listed one readily available product in each temperature range which
has been tested and found to meet our specifications. This is not to say that other lubricant brands would not
perform equally as well.
If the following lubricant brands are not available in your area, make certain your lubricant vendor supplies you
with oil that is equivalent to those products listed below.
Brand recommendations in tier C climate range:
MOBIL Mobilgear 600xp 460
SHELL Omala 460
CHEVRON Gear Compounds EP460
TEXACO Meropa 460
Temperature tiers
PREVAILING AMBIENT TEMPERATURE
A -20F to 20F
B 0F to 50F
C 40F to 100F
D 90F to 130+F
A. AGMA Grade 3 EP; Mobilgear 600xp 100 or equivalent
B. AGMA Grade 5 EP; Mobilgear 600xp 220 or equivalent
C. AGMA Grade 7 EP; Mobilgear 600xp 460 or equivalent
D. AGMA Grade 8 EP; Mobilgear 600xp 680 or equivalent"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks