• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WW2 Ben Hur Trailer Indentification

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am getting ready to begin the restoration on a WW2 Ben Hur (G518) trailer to pull behind my WC-51 Weapon Carrier and I thought I would take a chance and see anyone could help me. I am at a loss as to identifying the manufacturer since there are not data plates. It has USMC markings on the tub and based on some holes in the tub floor I believe it was used as a generator trailer at one time.

I tried to see if the spring shackles had unique marking but they do not. The only markings are the USMC number and a stamping on the A Frame of the tongue. I have attached a few photos to see if you may have any insight on identifying the manufacturer.

BH-Trailer.jpg USMC-Number.jpg Tongue-Stamping.jpg Landing-Wheel.jpg

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i have a 1943 benhur arc welding/gen trailer and mine dont look like that one. mine has a 750 x 20 wheel like a duece wheel. that might be the main difference. the pincle hitch looks the same.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The little bit of research I did on them said there were dozens of manufacturers of the little Ben Hur trailer. I think I found some of the info on a modellers site which came about after searching "Ben Hur Trailer" ""Images"", then went to visit the page the image came from. I also read it had the most production numbers of any trailer in WWII.
Here are a few links I dug up by using the images search so this might be one more step you can try,

http://www.usarmymodels.com/MANUFACTURERS/CGM/cgm006A.html
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, Verdana]The Ben Hur Manufacturing Company was one of nearly two-dozen firms that produced these trailers, capable of hauling a ton of supplies

http://www.armyfiretrucks.com/steel_ben_hur.htm
[/FONT]G518 Trailers were made by the following companies:
American Bantam, Ben Hur, Century Boat Works, Checker, Dorsey, Gertenslager, Henney, Hercules Body, Highland Body & Trailer, Hobbs, Hyde, Mifflinburg Body, Naburs, Nash Kelvinator, Omaha Standard Body, Pke, Queen City, Redman, Steel Products, Strick, Transportation Equipment Corp, Truck Engineering Corporation, Willys Overland, Winter Weiss, Baker, Covered Wagon Co., Keystone, And Streich.

http://www.earlycj5.com/xf_cj5/index.php?threads/the-sears-david-bradley-trailer.74865/

Thought there might be info in the TM so here's the TM.
http://www.slideshare.net/blancaisabelcig/tm9-883

http://www.cckw.org/ben_hur_trailers.htm
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]The Ben Hur trailer, or the military designation of G-518 One Ton trailer, was one of the most massed produced trailers of WW2.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, Verdana][/FONT]

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You and PB can race your Chariots once this gets completed at the next rally on the track. It will be the highlight of the GA Rally for 2017. I am thinking of building one now as I want in on the racing.

Attachments

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Plowboy. I have visited all those sites and even found manufacturers listed my USA Number ranges but mine is a USMC trailer and they do not reference those. The style of the front landing wheel narrows it somewhat by time period bet just not much out there. I appreciate your help. [thumbzup]

gerrykan

It looks like 5 lug wheels, so this may be a 3/4-ton trailer that came before the Standardized WWII trailer with 6 lug wheels.

Regarding the tongue stamping, in Missouri if you titled this as homemade, the State would issue a number starting with DR.
DR = Department of Revenue.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the input. The hubs on my trailer are 6 lug and the tires are the standard 7:50/20 I am aware of the prewar version of the Ben Hur which was produced by GM

nat42gpw

finally found some info on my trailer,it is not a benhur 1 ton trailer as previously thought,on jeepdraw home page found a copied 1946 military surplus listing out of Florida with a list of serial numbers for jeeps,trucks,pickups,trailers,ect it was listed as trailer,cargo lavine gear 3/4 ton 1939 just some new info for those that didn't know
Mine has 5 lug wheels as well,its a Lavine gear co,i think it was made in 1940

Eric WC63

Hi Nat

My name is Eric we live in the Netherlands we are restoring vehicles from de Second World War and
we are currently restoring a lavine 3/4 ton trailer from 1939. The only problem is with ours is that it’s not complete. I hope that you can help us with some pictures and maybe some extra information. Do you have any pictures from the drawbar, axle, handbrake and cables the tail light and the fenders if you have more pictures i would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you in advance for your help

greetings Eric

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks