• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 Starter and Generator questions-input needed

1944mb

So, after screwing around with a G749 that needs a starter this past week(WE think anyhow-Thanks to USMC), I've started to wonder how readily available parts were for the starters and generators for these old beasts. I've checked a few parts sources that wholesale electrical components of this nature and it has come back no parts available. Got a hold of a local starter/generator shop that is most awesome at what they do, and he assured me parts were available, but at least here in the US, Delco-Remy was unwilling to release any part # of military components. The truth of this, I don't know. He did say, bring the parts in, or tear it down and he would more than likely stock all that is needed to overhaul one. Since I'll probably take an afternoon off to determine this, I'll probably tear a generator and starter down and kill two birds at once. First off, has anyone beat me to this? 2) Does anyone out there desire to have a rebuild kit that they can overhaul their own starter/generator. I would plan on this being a non for profit offering-just wanna keep these old beast alive and de-bunk the no parts available stigma of these. Either that or We can just add the part #'s to USMC master list, but the problem may be sourcing the parts even with part #s. Does anyone have an opinion of this?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Parts are out there in large quantities if its a multifuel. I have a gear reduction starter available if your interested, send me a PM.

restlessrobie

Contact Boyce Equipment they can help you find the parts or at the very least a part number
1 800 748 4629
You could also try Alfa Haven for used quality parts
1 715 449 2141
Memphis Equipment has alway been helpful as well
1 901 774 0600
[SIZE=+2][/SIZE][SIZE=+2]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+2][/SIZE]

USMC 00-08

I'm sure interested in the parts and more interested in learning how to rebuild these myself. If you don't want to tear down your starter, I can pull out the bad one and send the parts up to you to see what your starter guy can come up with. Let me know what you want me to do.

It's been a busy weekend so I have not even had a chance to look at how to remove the bad starter. The TM says to remove the passenger side fender to get to it, but I wonder if it is just as easy to get to with the transmission cover in the cab removed.

1944mb

I've got some old motor manuals that show how to go through and check the components when rebuilding a starter/generator. I can scan them as I get going on this and post them. I'm thinking some day the government rebuilds will be gone and it wouldn't hurt to have the rebuild parts/part #'s-if they are still available. Im not old enough to say this, but in the good old days, I think a larger number of people would rebuild their starters/generators. Its more of a thing of the past now. The nice thing is with this older equipment is I think was assumed people would rebuild their own so they are set up to be serviceable. My story anyhow. Yeah, if you wanna pull it, I'd sure use it as a guinea pig, and get the parts we need and part #s for the list. In terms of pulling the starter-mine is bungee corded up and still hooked to the linkage-they pulled it with this seized engine, so I'm assuming it can be done without pulling the fender.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 starter

I saw the "Remove Fender" info in the TM when I did my first starter and had a chuckle. It should say "Prepare a small box of bandaids" and bleed a little. Ended up cutting a 3/4" wrench in half to make it easier to reach the cable nut but it's an easy job to R&R a starter without removing a fender.

We had a very observant member right here on Steel Soldiers pick up NOS starters a few years ago and sell them for a very reasonable price. They came in a nice wooden box all painted up and ready to install. The price was much less than the $375.00 starter that is currently listed when a guy does an internet search for "G749 starter". Also found a few parts available with the same search. Took the first starter to a repair shop and they re-built it for around $200.00 so lets hope someone comes through with a few more of those barn find NOS starters.

Here is the parts breakdown for the starter and generator.

PB270287.jpgPB270288.jpgPB270286.jpg

SturmTyger380

When I took the starter of my M211 the first time the selection of wrenches I had would not let me access the top nut holding the starter on. (Lots of cussing and bandaids!)

I took a trip to harbor freight and bought a cheap set of S shaped standard boxed-end wrenches. The metal around the head of the wrench was too thick to allow it to fit over the nut and the housing, so I ground it thinner. Now using the S shaped wrench it takes half the time to remove and put back on.

1944mb

I would suspect the parts to overhaul one to come in significantly less. As long as the fields and armature are okay the majority of serviceable parts shouldn't be too much. Famous last words. I'll go through the excercise of rebuilding one of each just for fun of it, then we'll know for sure what it takes. Then hopefully more govt reman stuff will show up.

SturmTyger380

The one on my truck worked but had a heavy electrical smell. When I opened it the brush plate was rusted and bad.

I found a used one on e-pay for not too much. I used that one to combine and make a good one.

1944mb

The one on my truck worked but had a heavy electrical smell. When I opened it the brush plate was rusted and bad.

I found a used one on e-pay for not too much. I used that one to combine and make a good one.
thats why I'm thinking it would be neat to have a parts source to service them. What did the plate run you?

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 starter break-down

What TM has all these parts breakdown pics?
That comes out of the ORD 9 SNL G749 Department of the Army Supply Manual I pulled out of Portrayal Press. It's 784 pages and gives up info on every part on the G749.

Met with the G749 Guru today and he said he's never rebuilt one but he's had them a part, cleaned them up and put them back together. Hopefully we all have that same luck.

PB270328.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Starters and Generators

I was visiting a collector that had a large fleet of deuces, jeeps, Bedfords, trailers and several acres of storage. He's also rebuilt most of this stuff so likes to collect spares. You've got a sharp eye to pick a different starter out of the G749 shed because that was supposed to be over here in the M38 shed.

PB270292.jpgPB270327.jpg

He's one of the coolest, long time MVPA mentors I get to hang out with but like most of us will find at some point, it's time to downsize. Wish you guys were closer.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Starter colors

Yes! We'd need some of the older boys to peel back the years to see if they remember what color the original starters were. There may have been inconsistencies too with different plants manufacturing similar parts, they may not have had a paint spec to follow.

I have both black and green starters but can't tell you if they're take-out repaired, NOS or original......so both answers are probably correct. I do know the green one came from the U.S. so that's a pretty good indication some of the American ones were green. I've seen 20 or so Canadian deuces and they all had black starters.

There are some more pictures on page 58 of the preservation thread that show a couple of different tags. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?52255-G749-preservation/page58

starters g749.jpg

SturmTyger380

What I have seen by working on these and rebuilding a few is under the green is usually black. When they have rebuild tags on them many times they ended up green.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks