• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bullet proof windshield

Emf27

I managed to fracture my windshield while off reading recently. Considering having bullet proof glass placed. Wondering if anyone has already done this with their HMMWV? Are you glad you did?

treva2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want to do the windshield on my deuce. when I started my research I was informed there is no such thing as bullet proof glass. There is however, bullet resistant glass and there are different levels of resistance. There's a company in Cincinnati ( I think it's called Bulldog ) that sells different materials and thicknesses. I don't have the paperwork in front of me. If I recall 2 pcs custom made to my dimensions, will stop 2 or 3 rounds .308 (as long as they aren't in close proximity to each other), $400. I'm not sure how to extend the shaft for the wipers.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have wiper extensions for Up armored Hmmwv's available.

Action

and need to make sure the electronics are not damaged, or you won't be able to defrost the glass.
Lots of H1s and Humvees do heavy offroading without breaking their windshields. Did something hit yours?
I had some 4" thick m1114 door windows. I shot 7.62 x 39 in a 2" circle about 8 times. Completely smooth on the inside.
At BAE, we had a door on display that was shot with an RPG. The glass moved in at least 3", but nothing made it through or fell inside. I would say that was grenade proof.

Emf27

and need to make sure the electronics are not damaged, or you won't be able to defrost the glass.
Lots of H1s and Humvees do heavy offroading without breaking their windshields. Did something hit yours?
I had some 4" thick m1114 door windows. I shot 7.62 x 39 in a 2" circle about 8 times. Completely smooth on the inside.
At BAE, we had a door on display that was shot with an RPG. The glass moved in at least 3", but nothing made it through or fell inside. I would say that was grenade proof.

Yes, was pushing through a large branch, released under tension over my brush guard and slammed my windshield and busted passenger side mirror. Windshield held up pretty good, just a vertical fracture.

ryanruck

Yes, was pushing through a large branch, released under tension over my brush guard and slammed my windshield and busted passenger side mirror. Windshield held up pretty good, just a vertical fracture.
With the big, vertical windshields on these trucks just asking to get smacked, I installed limb risers to try to prevent that exact thing from happening. Less than $20 to make them.

IMG_1845a.jpg

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a caution for you and installing bullet resistant glass, in my reading on this subject many times I have found that there are some very stringent cleaning things to DO and a whole lot of things that you DON'T do in cleaning this type of glass, I would suggest that you read up on this a little before you make a big time and money commitment into this, you may get it just the way you want it and then realize that its such a pain to work on that in the end you decide you made a mistake???
Good luck in whatever you choose!
Karl

jdmcm

Retired War Horse and Action can you elaborate on what us needed to convert a hmmwv to the Ibistek windshields like the one for sale at Eastern Surplus. This is something I am seriously considering so any info would be appreciated

I came across these windows and decided to install them. They were an easy install into the existing 1026 window frame. The only thing I did not consider was my A/C duct on the driver side. If your installing them into a HMMWV with no A/C you wont have my problem. It pushes the duct back 1 1/2 inches. So I'm thinking that the Ibis window frame is offset, "pushing the window out" rather then in compared to the standard window frame. This losing 1 1/2: of window dash space pushing my duct in. I bought these based on price. Meaning much cheaper $200 then the standard up armor windows out there priced at $1,200 - $1,700. The other issue is the handle mounting surface. I just used 3/8 level bolts to tighten in the frame. This sealed it up with no water leak. I'm thinking of the window frame inter mounting are of placing a spacer. Keep in mind I'm on a budget if I wasn't I would have went the higher budget install.

pic 1.pngpic2.pngviewtopic.php
here is my modification on a budget

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Holy time dilation Batman, we’re back in 2018. No Wuhan Flu and a Republican President!

Search can be your friend and your enemy. You found a thread last inhabited in 2018. And one of the posters has a nasty habit of defying TOS.

Have you tried the WTB section of the classifieds?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks