• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DIY Tire Balancing

papakb

Bite the bullet and buy yourself a set of Centramatic or Balance Master wheel balancers and forget about weights forever. Dynamic balancers continuously rebalance the wheels as you drive so they continuously compensate for tire wear and any shift you might have with the runflat. I haven't balanced a tire in over 10 years.

Kurt

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just an interesting note as I just picked up 5 like new baja's on 24 bolt rims a few weeks ago from a guy who buys them in bulk from military. Brought them to my tire guy to balance. Some had no weight and a few had sticky on the inside. When I picked them up he told me one already had beads and wa ok. I did not realize the military used beads.

He used a combination of weights on the inside lip and some stickys on the inside. I paid $15 each but not having to touch those 150lb monsters was worth it to me.

Videris

Bite the bullet and buy yourself a set of Centramatic or Balance Master wheel balancers and forget about weights forever. Dynamic balancers continuously rebalance the wheels as you drive so they continuously compensate for tire wear and any shift you might have with the runflat. I haven't balanced a tire in over 10 years.

Kurt
What specific centramatic product number should be purchased for an hmmwv? Do you know, if not who does and have you tested them with success. Thanks

rhinob

Kurt
Sounds good. We're all ears!

rhinob

NormB

Cool. Please show photos when you have them mounted.

Mfr says "Simply remove the wheel, use the bolt holes as guides and reinstall the wheel. Steer axle balancers mount between the hub and wheel, while balancers for the duals mount between the dual wheels."

Uh, sure. doesn't look/seem right. too many holes. Very tempting. Do they go outside? Inside? Between the split hubs?

I'm new at this, throw me a bone. ;-)

Norm

rhinob

Cool. Please show photos when you have them mounted.

Mfr says "Simply remove the wheel, use the bolt holes as guides and reinstall the wheel. Steer axle balancers mount between the hub and wheel, while balancers for the duals mount between the dual wheels."

Uh, sure. doesn't look/seem right. too many holes. Very tempting. Do they go outside? Inside? Between the split hubs?

I'm new at this, throw me a bone. ;-)

Norm
Looks like they mount between the hub and the wheel (Balance Masters image)l. The holes are probably plentiful and spaced for multiple applications.

Attachments

Last edited:

dilvoy

I have Balance Masters. I got these, because you can hear the steel balls in the Centramatics when you are starting off or coming to a stop. The heads of the studs that hold the two halves of the wheels together come into contact with the disk of the Balance Masters, but it is flexible and doesn't keep the wheels from being bolted down tightly.

Videris

I have Balance Masters. I got these, because you can hear the steel balls in the Centramatics when you are starting off or coming to a stop. The heads of the studs that hold the two halves of the wheels together come into contact with the disk of the Balance Masters, but it is flexible and doesn't keep the wheels from being bolted down tightly.
What product number for the balance masters did you get, link?

rhinob

You tried both brands because you could "hear the steel balls in the Centramatics?" So did they perform any differently? Thanks...

Videris

That's crazy you can hear the centramatics while driving. I can barely hear myself think when I'm driving my hmmwv. You must have elephant ears. Haha.

Special T

So am I understanding this correctly? These bolt to the hummer wheels to help balance them with a sealed medium... to take out the negatives of in Tire solutions like Equil and other bag powder style balancing media?

rhinob

That's crazy you can hear the centramatics while driving. I can barely hear myself think when I'm driving my hmmwv. You must have elephant ears. Haha.
Good point! And I can't hear anything anyway. In a HMMWV all I hear is roaring engine, cooling fan, and tire noise!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks