• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Will a Allison MT654CR live with a Big Cam ?

74M35A2

I called the local Allison /Detroit shop in Tulsa and talked to the lead mechanic. which happened to be a man of 25 years experience on the allisons alone, he told me the MT 654 was rated well below the power/torque curve. I asked because I put a 400 big can III in my 936A1 wrecker, and I was wanting to know if it would hold up to the power and not to mention the weight....41,000 pounds. I'm happy to report so far so good! another thing I will add is Cummins rates the HP at the flywheel, not at the wheels. there is a big difference. Caterpillar rates there engines at wheel horsepower! which is how it should be!!!
I don't think so.

red

I called the local Allison /Detroit shop in Tulsa and talked to the lead mechanic. which happened to be a man of 25 years experience on the allisons alone, he told me the MT 654 was rated well below the power/torque curve. I asked because I put a 400 big can III in my 936A1 wrecker, and I was wanting to know if it would hold up to the power and not to mention the weight....41,000 pounds. I'm happy to report so far so good! another thing I will add is Cummins rates the HP at the flywheel, not at the wheels. there is a big difference. Caterpillar rates there engines at wheel horsepower! which is how it should be!!!
No engine manufacturer rates the power at the wheels in the medium and heavy duty market because they don't know what drivetrain or stationary equipment will be bolted to their engine. There are tens of thousands of items that go behind each engine depending on who buys it. All of them are rated at the flywheel.

PyroJoe

Slightly on topic.... I've also got a bundle of 855 M939's as well as an A2 with the 8.3. The 8.3 gets my vote. The 855's are gutless turds! Currently contemplating between an 8.3 swap, a 400 big cam swap, or an LBZ Duramax swap (possibly with the Chevy trans/t-case). Would like to know how you feel about the 350/400 Cummins vs. the stock 250, and if you've driven an 8.3 5 ton, if you like the 8.3 or the big cam better. TIA!

74M35A2

Slightly on topic.... I've also got a bundle of 855 M939's as well as an A2 with the 8.3. The 8.3 gets my vote. The 855's are gutless turds! Currently contemplating between an 8.3 swap, a 400 big cam swap, or an LBZ Duramax swap (possibly with the Chevy trans/t-case). Would like to know how you feel about the 350/400 Cummins vs. the stock 250, and if you've driven an 8.3 5 ton, if you like the 8.3 or the big cam better. TIA!
Meow...

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Meow is right. What was the end result? Need a MT654CR or simp suggests BH740 i think. for my 923a2. Can't decide if a "take out" is a smart move.

74M35A2

You should be able to get a good working MT654CR for about $500 plush shipping from here. I'd do that and be done. Or, I would try to get ahold of an Allison tech when his boss is around the corner, and see how much he wants in side cash to redo your trans at his house if you brought him just the trans. You just may be able to get it rehabbed back to near new for that same $500, or $500 plus parts? Guessing.

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should be able to get a good working MT654CR for about $500 plush shipping from here. I'd do that and be done. Or, I would try to get ahold of an Allison tech when his boss is around the corner, and see how much he wants in side cash to redo your trans at his house if you brought him just the trans. You just may be able to get it rehabbed back to near new for that same $500, or $500 plus parts? Guessing.
Put in the parts wanted and no replies. Found a couple take outs from a2 trucks who wanted the 8.3 but not the trans. for around $700. The Allison Dealer I went to seemed lazy as the 2 hour diagnostic included a pressure check and an estimate for a re-man install.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You better take a look at the gear ratios of that 4 speed, unless your going to really crank the power on the 8.3 up I doubt you’ll be happy. They are cheap and plentiful, I keep finding them behind a lot of the old road oilers in my search for a new motor for my parts truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks