• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I hurt, from the tips of my fingers to the ends of my toes.

Flanjan

But gosh darn it I'm having a blast. I purchased a 1987 M35a2c out of Bradenton FL and am driving it ~1700 miles back to St. Paul MN. It's a hard cab but the frame for the right windshield is pretty eaten up and there's still plenty of air flowing through the cab. I struggled my way the first night, (only ran out of fuel once....) And got through Atlanta...In the ice storm.

Wake up and everything is covered in ice and our chase vehicle had a flat. Once we started jacking it up the van slid on the ice and broke the jack. Cue 5 hours of screwing around and we had 2 new tires on the chase vehicle. The chase vehicle also had the alternator blow up on the way down.

2nd day started late but we got up to just shy of St. Louis. I'm 6'2", my legs are killing me, my back hurts like ****, and I might be getting a pressure sore on my buttocks, but for 2k and being on the verge of tears for the last 20 hours, I've got a pretty sweet deal so far.

This last leg will be hard, and by far the coldest but hopefully we have no hiccups.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use some duct tape or masking tape and tape over the window gaps on the outside. It helps alot.

Gunner USN

Congratulations on the start of your recovery, the weather is all ways a gamble when planning ahead. Take it easy, take pictures (and post them) and drive safely the rest of the way home. Good Luck!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, but it will take a long time to get the smile off your face when you get it home.

Jericho

Kudoes! , a man and his M35 , beginning of a great story, Fill the voids with expandible foam for now , slip a Wally world heater ( 12 volt or LPG into the cab , you WILL NEED IT , dress warmly and if your travelling on NDTs use extreme caution they are ****E on snow and ice. and I thought my 26 hour Maryland to New Hampshire was long, you got me beat by FAR good luck ENJOY!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Buy a rain suit from walmart to wear, this may sound funny but it WORKS, it will hold the heat in and the same time keep the cold, air flow, and water OUT. I have NEVER seen a deuce or 5t (up to the 939 series) that the front windows DID NOT LEAK, this is WHY the BII includes a rain suit and a rag to dry the INSIDE of the drivers window so you can see

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"That which does not kill you, makes you stronger" Good luck and certainly take and post pics.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
He may smile after his whole body quits vibrating around February 1st

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

teletech

I am a firm believer that the worst trips often make the best stories. You will stories to tell at gatherings for years.

As in "did I ever mention the time I bought an M37, in Canada, sight-unseen off ePay? It had expired plates, no gas tank or parking brake, and barely an exhaust system but I drove it back to California anyway..."

Good luck with the rest of the trip and dress warmly.

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
There is a lot of heart for you here, mostly green ....
You will get to where you are growing into soon

This is about you, not us
You have that disease, ..........enjoy it
We await the story

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks