Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Turbo classification...?

4 Star General MilitaryRestoration's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Turbo classification...?

Call me stupid but where do I look to see what turbo I have. I usually see it right away but for some reason I'm not seeing it and haven't done so in a while so I needed to get a friendly reminded Thank You

Thanks

Default RE: Turbo classification...?

the C (whistler) turbine housing has a band clamp and a more pronounced scroll. Half of the compressor blades have angles in them.

The D exhaust housing is wider and bolts on. Its compressor has smoohly curved blades .JimK
    NRA Patron , GOA Life member

4 Star General /Moderator doghead's Avatar
    MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,800 Times in 5,976 Posts

pics (these pics were found by doing a search for "turbo picture") they were not originally posted by me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    M817, M818, M819, M35A2 w/w, M35A2, M109, M105, M116A2, M101A2, Pioneer tool trailer, MEP-002, MEP-017A, 5ton winch shear pins, Oral-B toothbrush

Ah Beefco Industries Northeast marketing associate

Don't judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=12&v=T6BTcEwtmZo

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to doghead For This Useful Post:

CIBS 70 (07-12-2012), Merc1973 (11-15-2013), Valence (02-19-2018)

4 Star General MilitaryRestoration's Avatar
    Thanks

and which one has more power? and how would i tell if the motor is from a 5ton rather a 2.5 because it sure does seem to have a lot more power than both our other trucks...

MVPA
    Thanks

There is not really much difference in power between the C or D turbo.(D seems to be able to make slightly more boost when the fuel is turned up some) The engine tag that is under the exhaust manifold(seen in the above pics) will say if the engine is an LD, LDT or LDS(LDS is the 5 ton motor). Look under the M in multi-fuel in this picture and you can see it is a LDT engine.(I think this is Emmado's engine pic)
    M817, M818, M819, M35A2 w/w, M35A2, M109, M105, M116A2, M101A2, Pioneer tool trailer, MEP-002, MEP-017A, 5ton winch shear pins, Oral-B toothbrush

Thanks

If it is truly a 5 ton motor, you should freeup the air intake as the deuce filter is not rated high enough cfm.

MVPA
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by m139h2otruck
    If it is truly a 5 ton motor, you should freeup the air intake as the deuce filter is not rated high enough cfm.
    I think that this is only correct if you have an LDS turbo on an LDS engine in a deuce. I don't think it really matters if you have a C or D turbo on it in a deuce.

MVPA
    Thanks

This is the engine tag on mine (LDS engine in a deuce with a D turbo)

Thanks

I don't belive the turbo has anything to do with power, its an anti smoke thing, only, there were different turbos like everything else, as for the power, the 5 ton and deuce motar are basicly the same, its highly unlickly U have a five ton motor, ive seen a deuce motor in a five ton at the local armory ,and man they said it was the dog of dogs, and heard of them doing it the other way when they wanted to play,but never seen one, but extreamly rare, as for the power, I have experienced in a non turbo , that in my opinion, has more fuel tuned into the injector pump, when U or somebody puts a turbo on a smoker, with out tuning down the fuel U will have a super runner, i have put a turbo on a smoker, and it the pump was brand new from memphis, the part # for a non torbo pump is different from a turbo, although they did not know why, when asked, i think its just common sense its the fuel mixture., the trucks are faster so the fuel is at a highwer rate in the non turbos. or smokers as i call em, so more likely its fuel has been turned up, or it was a smoker that had a turbo just bolted on, Mine is a runner for sure, a few of the guard guys that have driven her in parades,and everyone else thats driven her has said "what did U do to this truck it flies!" for deuce that is, if it were a five ton motor it would only be a mater of fuel mixture too, I know of a couple of guys who have put a 5 ton turbo& manifold and tuned the injector, for a screamer, but for me a deuce is a deuce, and part of the fun for me anyway is the way it runs, just 2 cents from what ive gone thru over the years.,,,Randy

11. The Following User Says Thank You to emr For This Useful Post:

frank8003 (02-05-2017)

Thanks

The "D" turbo will move 30CFM more than a "C" model in stock form. That doesen't mean more power though. They both will move more air than the LD can swallow. The "D" turbo was a attempt at stopping hot shut down failures. It has a heat shield between the turbine and the bearing housing. Although if you have a "d" you still need to let it idle before shutting it down. The 5 ton's turbo will have a wastegate on it with a much larger compressor housing and intake elbow. You won't see more PSI of boost from these because the wastegate will open. But it will move alot more air at low engine RPM"s witch will help EGT's to stay lower. If your 5 ton doesen't have one of these then the engine was probally a rebuild that was swapped in. If your truck is a dog then the fuel rate is too low. Some trucks will fly while others won't get out of thier own way. A small increase in fuel rate will make a big difference in power.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ken For This Useful Post:

Merc1973 (02-10-2017)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast