• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ether bottle

ida34

Not alcohol. Ether for the cold start system. I have been told that Equipment dealers have them. Napa's can get them but the cost is high on just one or two bottles. Try to find a place with them in stock to avoid the shipping.

Lax

Anyone know where I can get a inexpensive either kit for my M35? Last year I had a glowplug heater installed on my duce and that was a waste of $200. I can crank the duce for an hour and it won't start. I have someone give it a three second shot of either in the air intake while I crank it and it jumps to life and runs fine after 30 seconds.

I think I will just install a either kit. AFTER I REMOVE THE GLOW PLUG HEATER FIRST! Anyone want to buy a glowplug heater for real cheap??? Thank you.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lax, pm sent

Lax

ah1955,
With all due respect. What the heck are you talking about??????? What have I put down? The glowplug heater I have on my truck that I have tried a number of times and does not work? I guess I don't get your comment. Am I missing something?

Lax

OHHHHH. Now I got ya. I was kind of kidding about selling the heater kit. I would not want to waste the time uninstalling it. Unless someone REALLY wanted it. I can hear the heater working, or at least i think that is what it is doing. It just does not seem to make any difference in stating it in the cold. Other guys seem to be happy with it but it just does not seem to help on my truck. Not a big deal however.

jwaller

having the glow plug heater and ether on the same truck can cause a very bad day. ie explosion inside the intake manifold instead of the cylinders. I suggest if you do go ether you remove the glowplug as the military does when they converted them.

MikeON

You guys that are trying glow plug heaters or ether, is this because of problems with the manifold flame heater?

I suspected the flame heater for my rising crankcase oil level, and dropping oil pressure. (pressure is back to normal with recent oil change). I verified that the flame heater nozzle was dribbling with the engine running with the nozzle out in the open. It still dribbles after a nozzle disassembly, cleaning, and re-assembly. So it is now bypassed.

The flame heater was however effective in starting the truck up cold. I'm considering my options of ether, glow plug, or fixing the flame heater plus solenoid valves to protect my oil.

Mike

Lax

No question that if or when I switch from the flame heater to the either that I would completely disable or remove the flame heater. I love a good BOOM as much as the next guy but I don't EVER want to hear one from inside my engine compartment... Thanks guys.

ah1955

Lax sorry for the failed attemp at a funny, might come under the you had to be there think or was just stupid. What ever I did not mean to insult you or anyone.

Lax

ah1955,
No problem AT ALL! That was entirely my mistake and you have not insulted me at all. I was just not smart enough to get your (good) humor. To make matters worse, I make my living as a salesman. But not a very good one... :lol:

Take care and have a happy new year! :beer:

Steve

FreightTrain

Banned
I highly doubt the flame heater is the cause of your making oil problem.The fuel would be injested into the combustion chamber and be burned like normal fuel.Worst case for a leaking flame heater is a unstopable runaway where the engine is feeding from the nozzle and is reving out of control and only way to stop it is let it blow or smother the intake by either blocking it or hosing it with CO2.As for your rising oil,does it smell like diesel?If so,you have a leaking FDC.Bypass it ASAP or you will burn your bearings up.If it was turning a greyish color then you have other issues with coolant/water intrusion.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks