• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering gear warning

rustystud

029.jpg042.jpg044.jpg045.jpg

I just wanted to post some warning pictures of the damage hammering on the "pitman" arm can do. Also hammering on the drag-link can cause the same damage. Always use the right puller when removing the steering pitman arm or drag-link. This steering shaft came out of one of my 1952 REO M35 trucks. I'm working on a power steering project and needed the housing. I just torched off the pitman arm as I didn't need it, but I could see the evidence of hammer marks on it. After I cleaned up everything I saw this damage to the screw threads on the shaft. You can see the metal has actually cracked and broken off in places. The steering still worked but always had a tight spot. Now I know why. Eventually the broken metal would have come off and could have caused total steering failure. Jamming the sector shaft. Not a good thing to have happen especially if driving down the freeway !

Last edited:

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the warning.

I am now in this process, see the last three posts of this thread. Still did not get the Pittman arm off. However, the box is finally free (loosened the drag link instead) and will be going to inspect the gear once we have it inside the shop very carefully.

Below a first pic of how the cam looks and details of some of the debris that was inside the gearbox. At first view, your cam looks much better without the wear on the edges like mine has.

IMG_0567c_resize.jpg IMG_0541c.jpg

Last edited:

rustystud

Thanks for the warning.

I am now in this process, see the last three posts of this thread. Still did not get the Pittman arm off. However, the box is finally free (loosened the drag link instead) and will be going to inspect the gear once we have it inside the shop very carefully.

Below a first pic of how the cam looks and details of some of the debris that was inside the gearbox. At first view, your cam looks much better without the wear on the edges like mine has.

View attachment 706982 View attachment 706981
That cam gear is totaled ! I'm sure your whole steering gear is shot then. Try and find a good used one.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That cam gear is totaled ! I'm sure your whole steering gear is shot then. Try and find a good used one.
Easier said than done. The nearest scrapyard is more than 600 miles from here. They are looking for a used set for me, but at most they maybe have a used old Ross HP70, not the newer M809 series. I talked with Dave from Easternsurplus, but shipping costs alone from the USA to the Czech Republic would be somewhere between $ 700 to $ 1500 (over 200 lbs) for the set, regardless if new or used.

Have to find an M39 or M809 series wreck here somewhere in Central Europe. Or build something completely new.

rustystud

Easier said than done. The nearest scrapyard is more than 600 miles from here. They are looking for a used set for me, but at most they maybe have a used old Ross HP70, not the newer M809 series. I talked with Dave from Easternsurplus, but shipping costs alone from the USA to the Czech Republic would be somewhere between $ 700 to $ 1500 (over 200 lbs) for the set, regardless if new or used.

Have to find an M39 or M809 series wreck here somewhere in Central Europe. Or build something completely new.
Well that totally sucks !
I remember someone who lives in Europe once mention a huge U.S. military surplus yard in Denmark ? I believe. He said they are well known there. Might be worth a try.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought it would be this one, but am checking with some Danish to see if we missed something. Reomie actually is in the Netherlands. The octogenarian owner is doing US trucks, his older brother in the north of the Netherlands is doing the more modern NATO Dutch and German trucks.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks