• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MSD-ICE Kit Diagnostics

Wire Fox

More info! Most of us are probably stuck using EMS2 as our IETM viewer. If you're using anything newer than Windows XP (I sure hope you are...), you'll notice that any of the Indexes, about pages, and help sections don't work. You actually will receive an error stating that .hlp files are unsupported. I have a fix for you (and this fix is good for any legacy program that makes use of .hlp files).

For Windows Vista through Windows 8.1, stick with the solution provided by Microsoft: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...dows-based-programs-feature-not-included-or-h Just pick the right version to match your operating system and follow Microsoft's installation instructions.

Microsoft officially put their foot down and refused any further support, so you'll notice there's no Windows 10 version. Some guys more clever than me devised a solution through an installation script. They were a little lazy and didn't update the code completely, so I went ahead and did that for you guys. Download the file from my OneDrive, here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkVRiOjPCsSyla1fCQL8ncJutQ6fRw Now that you have the file, extract the .zip to somewhere convenient for you, and then run Install.cmd AS AN ADMINISTRATOR (if you don't, you will notice the last next in the cmd prompt window indicated the operation failed). To do this, simply right-click the file and select "Run as Administrator" (assuming you have admin privileges on your PC). You should have to run this just the one time and now your old applications should have running help files again, at least until the next time you re-install or upgrade Windows to a completely new version.

If for some reason you don't trust my file but you trust my words (or my link ever goes dead), you can just follow the same instructions that I followed:
Code:
download this...http://www.komeil.com/download/1230
add these lines to the settings area in the install file (it clearly says settings)
set WindowsVersion=7
goto :BypassVersionError
run it as administrator.
now you have winhlp working in windows 10 !

FKAM

WireFox

I received my ICE kit today. Looks like I have all the parts but instead of two disks I received 3. But none of them seem to match up to what you describe. One is labeled MSD Service Pack, the others are a set of disk 1 and 2 with a title of MSD (W2K) system Recovery. There is only a BIN folder on each of the three disks with no subfolders as you describe in your short instructions. In the BIN folders there are just three executable files that don't look like drivers to me.

Am I just too computer illiterate and does this sound like your disks?

Wire Fox

WireFox

I received my ICE kit today. Looks like I have all the parts but instead of two disks I received 3. But none of them seem to match up to what you describe. One is labeled MSD Service Pack, the others are a set of disk 1 and 2 with a title of MSD (W2K) system Recovery. There is only a BIN folder on each of the three disks with no subfolders as you describe in your short instructions. In the BIN folders there are just three executable files that don't look like drivers to me.

Am I just too computer illiterate and does this sound like your disks?
Since those are W2K recovery discs, you definitely have an earlier version. I think the MSD V1 used Win 2K. Most prevelant since I've been looking around have been the v2 with Win XP. Out of curiousity, does your ICE Adapter Box have the toggle switch on it to switch between NATO plug power and DCA power, or is it an auto-switch unit?

FKAM

Since those are W2K recovery discs, you definitely have an earlier version. I think the MSD V1 used Win 2K. Most prevelant since I've been looking around have been the v2 with Win XP. Out of curiousity, does your ICE Adapter Box have the toggle switch on it to switch between NATO plug power and DCA power, or is it an auto-switch unit?
I hope I don't have a V1 kit. The items inside are identical to the pictures you posted and the tag on the outside of the case is the same. Here are two pics of my unit. No switches that I can see. Hopefully I have a V2 kit with old disks.

Thanx

DSC00683post.jpgDSC00684post.jpg

Wire Fox

I hope I don't have a V1 kit. The items inside are identical to the pictures you posted and the tag on the outside of the case is the same. Here are two pics of my unit. No switches that I can see. Hopefully I have a V2 kit with old disks.

Thanx

View attachment 689651View attachment 689652
No toggle and the J7 port looks the same as mine. Looks like it's the newer hardware. You also just helped throw a hypothesis I had running: I thought that all black ICE boxes were the old versions and the green ones were the newer ones.

FKAM

If your talking about my box being black, it is green, it just looks kind of black in the picture. Also from what I can see from your pics my model number on the case is the same as yours.

CUCV_ut

Older ICE interconnect box-

I found some pictures of the older style interconnect box to show everyone the differences. Like Wire Fox mentioned, the old interconnect box has a toggle switch to select the power input source, in the picture it has a guard around the switch and is on the same side as all the round connectors. I believe all the old boxes are black while the newer one is green, but the toggle switch is the sure way to tell. The J7 connector on the other side of the old box is also much bigger, a D-sub with 3 rows of pins (50 pin?).

old ICE box 3.jpg

The older interconnect box requires a special PCMCIA card that goes into the MSD laptop. While the card appears to me to be a COTS product by National Instruments, it is very hard to find and spendy since electronics people like them for taking measurements.

old ICE card 1.jpg

If you're lucky enough to find a set with the PCMCIA card, you are going to need this special cable to hook the interconnect box to the card.

old ICE cable 2.jpg

The sets get mixed up sometimes when they are turned in, so be careful. Even if your transit case says 13608010-2 on the contents label verify it has the newer green interconnect box inside. The older set lists the interconnect box as 13580804.

Last edited:

319cssb

I am missing the Serial and Power connector to connect the ICE box to miltope. Can you guys give me a hint where i can find a replacement or does have someone have one for sale?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could you provide a pic of the mating connector, pins, and measure how wide? I got a 110v standard house 3 prong to cannon plug cable in a mixed lot and I do not know what it was originally for?

319cssb

Could you provide a pic of the mating connector, pins, and measure how wide? I got a 110v standard house 3 prong to cannon plug cable in a mixed lot and I do not know what it was originally for?
I have a photo of what the cable would look like for the old ICE box, So I am not sure if the serial connector is the same or the smaller serial connector, but it should be sort of similar to this looking. The power connector (round connector) definitely will look like this.
serial cable.jpg
I also added a drawing of it. (there should be a part number on the wire, which is #13608011 cable assembly, MSD ICE serial)
Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 7.09.46 PM.jpg

Wire Fox

I have a photo of what the cable would look like for the old ICE box, So I am not sure if the serial connector is the same or the smaller serial connector, but it should be sort of similar to this looking. The power connector (round connector) definitely will look like this.
View attachment 708957
I also added a drawing of it. (there should be a part number on the wire, which is #13608011 cable assembly, MSD ICE serial)
View attachment 708958
The serial port is definitely smaller. The current one, which you're looking for, uses a standard D-Sub 9 and the four-pin power like what's pictured above. The connector on the ICE Box side is a round, bayonet-locking plug. I don't have it in front of me right now to provide a picture of just the one cable, but you can look back at post 19 on this thread (https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...-Diagnostics&p=2032922&viewfull=1#post2032922) to see an image of all my cables together. From the right, you'll see the large cable (the DCA cable) and then the next cable over is the serial-power cable being sought. You can see the metal housing for the DB-9 and a couple of the bayonet-locking connectors all in that same area.

That cable won't be for this kit, since there is no direct 110V AC -> ICE Box cable supported. If it had a DC adapter box on that cable assembly, it would be possible that it could power the laptop or the ICE Box.

319cssb

I see... so the cable were trying to find has two round connectors, one with 4 pins that is the power connector, one with many pins (that is the ICE box connection) and one DB9 serial connector.

FKAM

319cssb

A little off topic but, did you acquire the computer side of this system? If so, did it come with the hard drive and system installed or was it missing the hard drive?
I've been thinking of buying the computer side of the system after acquiring the ICE/cables box side. All of the offerings were without hard drives and OS. So I'm just trying to find out if anyone had added a hard drive and was able to get the OS and software working.

319cssb

Hi FKAM
Basically if you can figure out the ribbon cable, you can use any 2.5" IDE hard drive. I have to research it some more, but thinking about it a Panasonic tough book CF29 ribbon cable is IDE and looks very similar.
I wouldn't be surprised if it would fit the connector. Then you'd just have to build some sort of caddy.

Wire Fox

FKAM, I still owe you some software. It's not been forgotten about since we last spoke, I just have to borrow my room mate's computer to copy the discs and we've been alternating on who's away from the house/too busy in order to actually get those discs made. I wish I could say that tonight I'd get to it, but I'm set to be out all evening. Hopefully I can nail him to his chair tomorrow evening and we can finally get it done, especially since it only takes 20 minutes of not-focused effort.

Also, I second the usage of any 2.5" IDE drive, just stipulating that you should use a solid state drive instead of tradtional spinning disk for durability. I believe it was Kurt that showed how he took an SSD (no need to worry about temperature or vibration issues), screwed it onto a caddy he made to fill the space in the computer, and connected it with a laptop IDE cable. Good instance of simplification that works.

Last edited:

FKAM

FKAM, I still owe you some software.

Kurt that showed how he took an SSD (no need to worry about temperature or vibration issues), screwed it onto a caddy he made to fill the space in the computer, and connected it with a laptop IDE cable. Good instance of simplification that works.
Roger That, on the software.

I think if I can reasonable assure myself I can do it, I might try getting one of the computers being offered, if I can find one at a reasonable price. Still will probably need the software from you, most don't come with disks from what I've seen. Or probably with my luck will come with MS 2000 OS like I ended up with on my set.

Thanx

StackJ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I am thinking you could rent these out for $200/day...otherwise, you're doing forum-based troubleshooting. Nice Job!!!

319cssb

That's alright. Thank you for trying, Sir
Wire Fox offered to get me the pinout and part numbers of the connectors. I may wind up making my own wire. Lets see

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks