• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anybody Done an M1078 Special Forces "War Pig" Conversion?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have a pair of 1081s. Was thinking about keeping one and making it a convertible for parades and stuff. Replacing the top piece with something that snaps on. Its a pain to take the top off and on. I was playing with one at my shop we slung it with the forklift. You dont really want the dash open if it starts to rain.

Crapgame

DSD277, I was up until 0600 reading your Flying Dumptruck thread. From what I had seen, I was like, that's some nice sheetmetal work on the doors and chopped down cab, now it makes sense, the LVAD config to start with. So I suppose I'll just be patient wait for Gov't Planet to get more M-1081s, the -1094 5tonner are too much truck for my disabilities. But, man, that would be slick for doing town tours in Ft Walton Beach, FL, or driving out on Santa Rosa Island, the Topless Tonner.

Crapgame

DSD277, the mounting base for the co-driver's swing arm GPMG mount, that's bolted to the cab front. Is that an NSN part or did you make that from scratch? Some of those swing arms mounted in place of a door hinge, but the Pig appears to have a unique base.

DSD277

DSD277, I was up until 0600 reading your Flying Dumptruck thread. From what I had seen, I was like, that's some nice sheetmetal work on the doors and chopped down cab, now it makes sense, the LVAD config to start with. So I suppose I'll just be patient wait for Gov't Planet to get more M-1081s, the -1094 5tonner are too much truck for my disabilities. But, man, that would be slick for doing town tours in Ft Walton Beach, FL, or driving out on Santa Rosa Island, the Topless Tonner.
Thank you The LVAD trucks are the only way to go these type builds. The cabs do have some structural differences that are impractical to add to a full cab when cut. It's funny you should say the M1094 is too much truck, I'd gone through some physical issues that people said I could never build it... as it was, the dump truck made it easier since I would tilt the cab and raise the bed and almost never had to crawl under it... troubleshooting the brakes was easy just standing next to the frame rails to troubleshoot.:D I don't do well crawling on my back.
I was extremely fortunate to have found 2 LVAD doors and an another complete 3rd LVAD door lower.
What some may pass over are the mirrors I used. Without door uppers, there is no place to mount the brackets. I got a truck mirror manufacturer to make a custom set of mirrors based off some prototype they had made for MRAP, and had a dovetail base so the mirrors and brackets were easily removal for display

DSD277

DSD277, the mounting base for the co-driver's swing arm GPMG mount, that's bolted to the cab front. Is that an NSN part or did you make that from scratch? Some of those swing arms mounted in place of a door hinge, but the Pig appears to have a unique base.
Again, it is part of the flexibility of the build. The basic design was pattern from War Pigs pictures, but to keep the truck 100% street legal, I moved the post to the side of the hinge so the windshield could be up or folded, once folded a post was inserted into it to give the proper height needed for the M240. Also there are 2 different sets of hooks and bars for behind the door whether I wanted to hang gear on them or to lock them in place with the bars... either way, they they were locked in place with 'anti loose' bolts...an item I'm familiar with from my Land Rovers....

BTW, if you hadn't already guessed, the mount has a DSD#, no NSN #:-D

Last edited:

Crapgame

When you have time prepping FDT for sale, would you mind shooting a pic of the side mirror bracket and GPMG mount base? No rush.

Suprman, I am trying to get moved to Ft Walton Beach in the coming months.

DSD277

Actually I'm in front the computer that has several 100s pics of the build and for reference.
I had slotted the front of the truck to insert 1/4" backing blocks for the dovetail base. the mirror base slides into the dovetail base and locked with a thumb bolt
The mg base was was my rendering as not to interfere with anything else and didn't need any alteration to the truck, or leave any if removed.

Here's a link to my photobucket... It may answer some of your questions.... or you ask, " why the **** did he do ...??" .:mrgreen:
http://s10.photobucket.com/user/dsd277/library/FMTV?sort=2&page=1

Attachments

Crapgame

Looks like two known points, connect the dots, make a cardstock template, then either draw a CAD to have steel water jet or laser cut then run a tight, steady bead welding it together. So the swing arm just sits in the ring resting on the top of the bracket? No large or small pintle insert like an M3 or M122 tripod pintle socket?

The model kit etched parts has a metal box for the radio. Canadians used a similar box in the Iltis, they call it a dog house. Just a couple inches wider than an MT-1029 radio mount, going by the DCU SPEAR/ELCS kit worn in the pics, would have been early GWOT. So the larger SINCGARS FM Radio plus whichever Mk satellite for contacting Almighty (PBR Streetgang, this is Almighty, radio check, over?") and UHF comms for talking to CAS

Best pic I could find of the dog house, in this case, the units deployed to Balkans and Afghanistan would slide the doghouse forward in the cargo rails and bolt a back seat facing rearward for a C9 gunner to cover 6. You can also see the Belgian-style GPMG swing arm mount I had to fabricate for this Iltis version:

Bombardier Iltis ISAF11.jpg

Last edited:

Crapgame

The heavy weapons mount almost looks like an M25 pedestal mount, I would have thought they could just call Crane for a Mk16 tubing legged mounts.

DSD277

The front mount is not flat. I cut the back piece and bent to follow the curve of the front of the truck and then welded the returns on. The post was an extension to allow the windshield to fold and have the swing arm at the correct height. Everything was plasma cut and welded together to get an “authentic “ type look and again maintain flexibility in looks and streetability. The M2 was mounted on a M6 platform from a HMMWV.
I close not to install the front self because it would interfere with the swing of the windshield and I already had 46 jerry cans on the truck… the truck was an expensive project when you add up all the kit, and because it was also a parade vehicle, I maintained the middle seat … I don’t want to even begin to think how much I would have spent on comm. gear.. the (in-op) sat antenna was over $300 alone.

Do not put too much into what might be liberties on my part, but the FDT is still a fully functioning dump truck once the kit is removed and the cab protector and the rear gate are re-installed .:mrgreen:

coachgeo

...I had slotted the front of the truck to insert 1/4" backing blocks for the dovetail base. the mirror base slides into the dovetail base and locked with a thumb bolt...
Which way(s) can the mirror be folded out of the way? (inward under windshield and/or tight into door or??) Any info on the mirror manufacture and model? Been thinking what to do for a mirror that can fold out of way of brush when offroad.

DSD277

The basic concept for use was the old Pinzgauer 710/12. These weren't intended for offroading (though they will swing either way). Feasibly, they cannot be swung back because they'll block the doors from opening ... easiest is to loosen the thumbscrews and lift assemblies out of dovetails. The mirrors were built to my specs. I do not remember the manufacturer, but when I had called them, I had fully expected to be refer to a distributor. When I explain the truck build and the concept use for the mirrors I was forwarded to another division and their engineering dept took a MRAP prototype design and adapted it to my dimension... nowhere commercially feasible for the company to do for a 'one off', but back then the FDT opened doors at companies that would normally have just said no and hung up.

firefinder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a "real" War Pig that apparently saw action. This vehicle is an M1084 (6x6 cargo truck with a crane). I'm very grateful to DSD277 and other members who have provided a lot of details on how the vehicle was configured and used. The vehicle was not running when purchased and had a variety of problems. The bugs are worked out, it's titled and inspected! I would love to keep the vehicle in it's original War Pig configuration. After much deliberation though, I am going to return it to a more functional configuration. I will be selling the "roll cage" turret mount, smoke generator mounts, IR identification panels, etc. I believe the turret mount should bolt to an M1081 (or similar) lower cab. I have attached some pictures.

Please send me a PM if you would be interested in these items to create your own War Pig.

firefinder

Front.jpgIMG_0469.jpgRear Smoke Generator Mounts.jpgTurret Ammo Rack.jpg

Crapgame

Are 1081/1083 LVAD cab door windows flat or curved? I've been looking into custom laminate safety glass replacements.

Otherwise, I'm still in a holding pattern waiting on my USDOJ federal benefits for disabled cops, firemen and EMTs killed or disabled in line of duty.

Been fighting for 6yrs now, pathetic it only took them 2yrs to vet a Somali, bring him over on a full ride EBT/GA, Section 8 Housing, and full ride scholarship to Ohio State, only for him to be hit with SJS Sudden Jihad Syndrome, ran over people and stabbed them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks