• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Warning- Check your fan clurch bolts regulary / How to fix an exploded fan clutch

Reworked LMTV

Warning- Check your fan clutch RETAINER bolts regularly

Make sure that you regularly check those clutch retainer plates for bolts that are backing out. Mine backed out and threw the clutch material and I lost a retaining plate ( there are 3). If you look closely the retainer plates are starting to fly in picture #4. Since the retainer plate part is not available, I had to fab one out of steel with a plasma cutter.

If the clutch explodes, the fan turns much slower than the engine needs to stay cool. You risk overheating and head gaskets.

Kysor was bought by Borg Warner. Tech support at Borg is so-so, as they don't really know this product well. There were no replacement clutch material available from Borg. I had to go through Clutch Masters and use the K22 kit at about $100. I had to measure the clutch chips to determine which non-military clutch material would work. Beats spending $800 for new clutch.

Use a ratcheting 8mm wrench for the retainer bolts and add some blue loctite. Supposedly you can do this job without remove the fan or clutch housing. I did, but it was a PITA. very little room to work with and the blades obstruct the work. You can take the fan off, but this involves removing the aftercooler system and the fan shroud. Another PITA, and the connections in the aftercooler don't like to be messed with. They tear on the driver's side if you are not careful. Honestly, they should be replaced anyway. You will need to make a jig to aplly 90-120 psi to the clutch so you can get the clutch pieces in. Remove the 1/4" connector (1/4" ice maker fitting with hose) on top of the fan shroud. If you plan on doing the work with the fan and clutch in place, cut the clutch in two with a hack saw (this is the recommended approach). Use duct tape to hold the very slippery clutch pieces while you get the retainers on. Use Loctite blue to ensure the same thing does not happen again.

IMG_1326.jpgIMG_1324.jpgIMG_1325.jpgIMG_1322.jpgIMG_1037.jpg

Here is a video I made demonstrating the clutch's response to line air at about 90-120 psi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HYhSjc_q2o

Last edited:

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you know if when these clutches are failing normally, do they fail and turn freely, or fail and hold indefinitely?

Is 1033-08250-01 Kysor - Style K22 Fan Clutch Lining Kit $64.27 the right thing?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Starting on page 70 of my thread you can see the results of losing the fan clutch at 55mph. Luckily I had awesome tow coverage on my insurance.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?152882-Working-on-the-M1078-LMTV/page70

My issue appeared to be the center section of the old style aluminum fan failing, either from metal fatigue or a loose bolt wobbling enough to eat it up. The newer style clutch and fan are a much better design.

Last edited:

Reworked LMTV

That looks to me like a different issue. Looks like the fan bolts should be checked regularly too.

Last edited:

Reworked LMTV

Do you know if when these clutches are failing normally, do they fail and turn freely, or fail and hold indefinitely?

Is 1033-08250-01 Kysor - Style K22 Fan Clutch Lining Kit $64.27 the right thing?
I believe they fail in a locked mode, which is good. However, if they vomit their guts, they fail in an unlocked mode. This is bad. Not sure about that kit. Is that OEM? BW does not offer an Aluminum style rebuild kit, to my knowledge.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks to me like a different issue. Looks like the fan bolts should be checked regularly too.
Thats why I recommend as part of PMCS to reach in and shake the fan to make sure it's secured properly and if switching anything go with the newer style clutch and fan.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks