Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My first Humvee build

Thanks

Default My first Humvee build

Hello all

As stated I am a noob to steel soldiers and have been using the knowledge and experience of the users to "edumacate" myself on the inner workings of these wondrous machines. I did a little time in the suck from 04-09 in the good old Marine Corps and always seemed to have this itch to spruce up/build up one of these old war horses.

That being said I "won" the first thing in my life, lol, a 1990 M998 4 door truck body. She needs some serious love but I have my plans. My wife on the other hand is pissed at me and doesn't seem to understand a man needs his toys.

Since I just won today I finished everything required. Hold Harmless is complete, EUC is completed (and the wait begins), and the payment has been wired. All is left is to figure out who is going to ship the beast from Maryland to Georgia (suggestions please). Here is a pic I am sure some of you have seen on the auction block today. Of course this is one of their photos but when I can I will be sure to show photos as my machine arrives home as well as before and after shots as she proceeds through its restoration.

749121_6002_0_0001.jpg

Thanks

Welcome to the madness. There's a LOT of transportation companies willing to compete for your money as well as several guys here with trailers if you ask around. I think there's even a forum for transportation needs. Lok for a company called uship; there's others, too. Good luck.
    A day without rivnuts is like a day without a Humvee mod.

MEP-802A TQG 04-2016
    M1038 W/W 6.2L NA 9-2016
    MEP-803a TQG 09-2018

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NormB For This Useful Post:

fairladyaffair (06-28-2017)

Thanks

Welcome aboard. My wife is grateful the "other woman" is a military vehicle. May your 998 bring you many years of enjoyment
    Lonnie KF5PVV

11th ACR - early 70s

1987 M923A1
    1990 M923A2
    1989 FLU419
    1988 M998
    1986 M105A2
    2008 M1101
    2006 M1101
    1991 M101A2
    2010 MEP803A

"5 second fuses only last 3 seconds"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to General Hood For This Useful Post:

fairladyaffair (06-28-2017)

Thanks

Thanks guys, my wife will see the light at the end of the tunnel after we come out the other side, she wakes up and she's blinded by its light. That being said I have had to jump over things before to accomplish goals so I guess this is no different lol.

Also I posted a request for transportation in the transportation section as suggested, we shall see if I get any bites

I look forward to many adventures with you gentlemen.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,366 Times in 533 Posts

Looks like a nice rig. Keep us updated on delivery progress and repairs once you get it home.
    TNriverjet
    -
    2010 MEP-803A (sold)
    -2006 MEP-802A (traded)
    -1996 M-1078 (sold)
    -1997 M-1083 (sold)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TNriverjet View Post
    Looks like a nice rig. Keep us updated on delivery progress and repairs once you get it home.
    Most definitely. I have been doing a lot of research using the wealth of knowledge here. I already know it needs some minor parts just from govplanets inspection.

Driver side mirror assembly
    Driver seat back cushion
    X doors (paint doesn't matter as long as they are not delaminating)
    Batteries (have no idea what the battery setup even looks like on a 1990)

I want to go ahead and get some problem areas taken care of once I receive it for reliability people have mentioned if it needs it.

A walboro lift pump
    Pcm relocation kit
    Glow plug control box update

We all know the maintenance needs to be addressed immediately and at the suggestion of many on this forum I decided to stick to conventional oils until I can replace gaskets and such. I decided to just buy a bunch in bulk so I can flush the system real well before hand then change the fluids again after the first 50 miles to be sure I got anything out of the system that may have broken free from the fresh oils. Definitely changing out the rubber hoses and replacing the belts as well as greasing all the suspension components and running some fuel system cleaner. Not to mention replacing the oil, fuel, and transmission filter and draining the water seperator.

I do want to completely pull the coolant system, blow out all the fins to remove any debree as well as wash out any old fluids and straighten bent cooling fins. Sounds like a good time right.

The EUC started processing on the 27th of June so I don't expect to be seeing it till late August to early September best case scenario.

Anyone care to help me decide on a color? I am leaning towards gloss black but I think a Matt black finish would be cool too. My brother in law is an exceptional auto painter and has everything to perform a pro paint job. He's even won first place at some pretty big car events with his work, so I'll leave that to him.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I have built several cars in the past but this one so far is my favorite and I haven't even seen it in person yet.

I'd like to have most of this stuff together when it gets here so any help would be awesome. Thanks.

Private
    Thanks

Congrats I'm in the same boat won auction on May 9th still no EUC can't wait.

Thanks

Yesterday I got a notification that my EUC was "submitted".....holy mother of God this is going to take forever...

"There is no darkness we'll not face boldly for each other, so to hells gates I will charge to ransom back my brother"

Thanks

I have been researching the different years and the changes/options available for the 6.2 vs 6.5 diesels.

This research has led to the understanding that the 6.2s were never manufactured as turbo but later installed banks turbo kits on at the dealership. The 6.5 came turbo charged with early models having side mount turbos and military hummers recieving top mounted turbo systems.

The n/a models came with 90 degree heads and a different intake manifold, same on 6.2 and 6.5s and the 6.5 turbo came with 60 degree angled heads for the intake manifold bolts and a two piece manifold for side mounts. The hmmwv has a top mount 3 piece (2 lower one upper plenum) with a center mounted turbo.
    The heads also had dempled valves for higher air fuel rates.

Provided i got most of my information correct is there a turbo intake manifold that is the side mount variety that comes with 90 degree angle bolt holes capable of bolting to the 90 degree head design?

Please correct me if my research is incorrect above. Its hard to sort through all the info and verify facts from garbage or opinions.

I have seen a few intake mods to attach turbo to the 6.2 intake manifold. Does anyone know of any marketed options or can fabricate one for a fair price. Also interested in a side mounted turbo manifold that will work with the hmmwv. THANKS!!!!

"There is no darkness we'll not face boldly for each other, so to hells gates I will charge to ransom back my brother"

Thanks

So yesterday i got my hands on some newish condition soft doors and a cargo cover for my short bed on my m998 4 seater and a good used driver side seat back cushion. Total cost to me thanks to Ryan Mcholan was $325 bucks. Doors came complete with serviceable windows, zippers, hinges, door handles, and door stop hooks. Thanks again Ryan.

Today i hung all of them up and using a good degreasing soap cleaned them in preperation for painting with the direction of Sul Sully. He had a good experience with a good quality exterior flat finish paint that im going to try hopefully some time later this week. I plan to show pics of the trucks progress as i go along.

My objective is to keep the overall dollar amount spent to get the truck on the road and ultimatly justify its existance as a work/fun truck.

So far this is how much i have in it broken down.

1990 M998 4 door with one soft door 2 leaks and 4 brand new 37" tires with run flats and no batteries with a 6.2 engine and turbo 400 3 speed transmission:
    $5,960.50 cents after fees, taxes, and SF97.

Extra engine for parts and to build complete with intake, injectors, fuel pump, and exhaust manifolds. Plus 700r4 transmission with tv cable, bracket, and dipstick. 75,000 miles out of a 1983 pick up truck with engine stand:
    $295

As mentioned above, 3 soft doors, toneu cover, and driver seat back cushion:
    $325

1 gallon flat black exterior vynal paint and smooth finish rollers:
    $35

Picking up this week:
    Used gm turbo mid 90s model:
    $50

Used 6.5l turbo 60 degree angled heads pressure tested and inspected, turbo exhaust manifolds, and intake manifolds for side mount turbo:
    $400

5 gallon bucket 15w 40 engine oil, 5 gallon dex/merc transmission fluid, 50/50 radiator fluid, 5 gallon 80w90 gear oil, and 1 gallon dot 5 brake fluid, all conventional except brake fluid:
    apx $250

Not buying batteries till truck is shipped.

$7,015.50 total investment (i think, i did this in my head).

Of course this will go up with shipping cost and needed items not forseen once the truck arrives.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast