• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TNriverjet's M-1083 Thread

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been waiting on a update! Did you get cab lift back in and working? Did it help with the air issue.
Yes, cab air ride went back together flawlessly. It certainly improved the CTIS issues. Occasionally, I will still get 5 flashing lights, but if I hit x country and dump a bit of air, it seems to reset when coming back up to 55 psi. I may still have a slight air leak in the hose fittings at the cab level sensor. It's really running and working pretty well overall. I probably drove 100-120 miles this weekend hauling stone and retaining wall block.

Last edited:

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ooh nice lift gate on rear. How do I get the part number?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I wish it WAS a lift gate. It is only a fold down platform to stand on. I believe this truck had a shelter on the bed it's entire life.

Aernan

aah ok. I am designing an RV box for the back and considering putting a lift gate to put motorcycles and other toys on. I was hoping the military had already done that and I might buy one surplus.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take a look at tires if one is really low it will cause the fault. If right before air reach's 120 for Ctis to check tires hit run flat and it will bring all tires back to pressure and then go to solid hwy light.

rd3war

Also, I finally received my air bag rebuild kit from powerpacker via Ohio Hydraulic. While waiting for parts I had to support one side of the cab where air bag was removed. My bottle jack was the perfect size.

View attachment 696829

Then I needed the bottle jack for tire swapping detailed above, so I got out the chainsaw and made a suitable replacement...
View attachment 696830

Yes, a bit redneck, but it worked!

The power packer rebuild kit was really easier to install than it looked. I disassembled too much of the spring/shock unit. The airbag just slips on and off once you remove the "E" clips and pin. My shock-end bushings were also disintegrating, so needed replacing. There were two required at $22.50 each which was pricey, but I had them ship with the new airbag.
View attachment 696822View attachment 696823View attachment 696824

You do do not need to remove this bolt to take apart the bottom mount.
View attachment 696825

The new unit slips right over the internal shock and the pin slips through the black end cap through the new bushings.
View attachment 696826View attachment 696827View attachment 696828

When you did your rebuild did you also need new o-rings? I saw another member (Reworked LMTV) mentioned when he did his rebuild he had to source new o-rings. I need to rebuild my air shocks and wanted to make sure I have all the parts ready to go.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, the rebuild kit has the new air bag with the metal caps and rings in place. I did not use new O-rings. I did need new bushings in the shock-end once I dismantled the unit. I believe ReworkedLMTV was able to reuse his bushings. They are pricey at $22.50 each x2.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sourced some good used MV/T’s and hauled them home this weekend.
44208240-BBDA-4435-8A33-2F74E47FF6D1.jpgF87B3E5A-0730-4831-97AB-6B14D0AF36F9.jpg

They do not have wheels, so I am beginning the process of switching bead locks and wheels.

FD9177BF-ACB4-4431-ABD6-4670B4E0D02D.jpg9872EA3C-1C2C-4937-9162-39380C697BA3.jpg

It is a lot of work, but will be worth the effort once I can get these older XML’s off the truck. I got one completed today.

B7ED1F08-6D5E-4230-AF72-D55FB2483E1C.jpg56D49A42-01AF-4203-BF52-43BBAB9F3D4E.jpg

Last edited:

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One, dang slacker I've changed 6 in one day.
That's like a old man with a walker saying look I made it across a 6 foot porch in a day lol.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I deserve that since I voted for someone else the MV of the month this month!

My tools are seriously lacking here... I ended up using a breaker bar with a pipe over the handle for most of the time. I have an old air compressor my neighbor gave me (had to fix it before using it) and a borrowed 1/2” impact (China made) that doesn’t have much impact. Coffey1, if you have done 6 in a day, I’m guessing I could do 3 or 4 with the right tools. :clinto:

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replacing those tires looks like a heck of a job!! I guess it gets easier after the first one. How much does each wheel weigh?

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I had MV/T’s on my previous truck. I really liked them. These XML’s are kind of dry rotted. I’ve already had to replace 3 XML, just to be safe on the road. Now I will have a full set of decent tires. ...and 3 decent used XML to sell to offset cost.

Mark, The Goodyears weigh a bit over 200 lbs per the following PDF

https://www.goodyear.com/cfmx/web/gov/pdf/military_tire_brochure.pdf

With wheel and all, I think the whole assembly is closer to 350 lbs.

Last edited:

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A quick calculation led me to discover that the wheels on your truck weigh roughly 2500 lbs including the spare. :shock:
My wife's Mighty Mite weighs 1700 lbs. :)

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I contacted a friend with a used car business to see about using his shop... Let me just say, a quality Snap on 1/2” impact and a high volume air supply make quick work of these wheels. Disassembly was a breeze! He even had a duck billed sledge hammer and real tire irons. All that and a dash of soapy water made three more tire swaps a reality yesterday. I know Coffey1 does 6 per day, but I was good and tired after three.

B787692F-AECD-445E-8555-757486F13822.jpg224FFFE7-131F-4082-AAA1-BCA055B6CD85.jpg09E3106A-B77B-4509-ADB7-A0821D380299.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks