• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LED dash and other uses

tobyS

Having about worn out welcome on the "what have you done to your deuce today" thread (https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?67703-What-did-you-do-to-your-deuce-this-week/page728), I am starting a new LED thread.

This thread is on LEDs that use strips and a dimmer controller like 18operator used, but put around the instrument. Gimpyrobb gave us this thread, which is very similar;
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?22618-Dash-LED-illumination&highlight=

While I haven't taken any one of the dashes lose yet in my trucks, I plan on adding gauge lights, similar to what 18operator and crane truck did in their trucks, posted in the above threads.

I'm planning on making a length of 3528 LED strip, cool white, with a silicone cover and rated for 24 vdc, into a length to go around the gauge I want to illuminate. I estimate 12" for the speedo and tach and about 8" for the smaller gauges. The led strip can be cut in 2" increments and either a solderless joint put on the end or soldered pigtail (or a combination). They will then be wired from LED strip, end to end, in series.

There is a remote control dimmer, 24 vdc, at extremely low cost that can go in-line to make the string brighter or dimmer. It's 12 amp compared to the basic manual 6 amp unit (of which both will be well below their rated max).

The minimum length of strip LED is 30' long and there is significant quantity discount for the remote controls in quantity of 5 or more.

Thus I'm looking for 2 other people that will split an order, where each of us will get 10' of LED and 2 of the remote controls.

My plan is to cut a length that can be zip tied around the front of each instrument and solder wire that connects between them. 6" wire pigtail with no-solder joint is available, but I expect to need longer in some runs.

The remote has a 40' range (RF) and there is a manual dimmer control at about the same cost, if you don't want the remote. However I want to order at least 5 of the remote controls.

PM me if your interested in splitting this order. I'll include 10' of jacketed LED and 2 remote controllers (dash and backup or some such use), delivered, for $25.

Last edited:

tobyS

Two members are on board and parts have been ordered. Thanks guys!

tobyS

Copy from pjwest03 on the deuce thread fyi

The simple single color led strips are dimmed by PWM (Pulse Width Modulation). Ultimately that simply means turning it on and off very fast. The dimming is accomplished by varying the percentage of on time vs off time.

The omnivolt type lamps use a constant current driver. For high output led lights like headlights or spot beams, the driver maintains a constant amount of current to the led. The light assembly contains an internal buck/boost power supply that can adjust to the input voltage and keep a constant current on the led elements.

tobyS

The strip and dimmers came in today and I split it for my partners. We each got 10' and two of the remote dimmers.

I cut a 12" piece and slipped on the mechanical connector, then went to the truck. I have not put the dimmer into the circuit and they were quite bright (cool white).

Since they come with an adhesive back and I want to wrap the gauges, I put aluminum foil onto the adhesive. Now I can zip tie them around the gauge.

I think I will try adding a wire pigtail to about 12" lengths and 8" lengths to test my solder skill. They have a cut line every 4" and the pads for soldering are really small. If I do much of it, I'm going to buy a magnifying glass and holder.

Or just use the mechanical connection available with wire pigtail for us solder-challenged craftsmen. Will get some pictures but not ready to tear into the dash yet.

tobyS

Oh my, the dimmer really makes a difference. I cut one piece 4" and one 12" and also have the full length (about 9') operating on one dimmer.

It appears that if one puts a 4" piece at strategic locations for indirect light, this could be a really effective, relatively low cost system for MANY uses in our army trucks (and campers), not just under dash.

I was concerned that the dimmer would come on in high when the power was turned on. It didn't. If it was set at 25%, the next time it comes on, it is at the 25% setting. That's important to me because I don't want to have to reset it all the time. The remote control has 100%, 50% and 25% settings and has a + or - with 9 steps. So it goes from about 10% to 100% in 9 steps. If it was set at 10% when turned off, when turned on again it comes on at 10%.

I have cool white but I could see trying at least two other colors, perhaps in combination. Like the white plus a red or the white plus a green or blue. Having them on the same dimmer would operate their brightness together but more than one remote receiver can be synchronized to operate multiple dimmers also. Or they could be separate, where one dimmer controls red and one white.

I will be putting an order together for the red and green colors now. If your interested, I would make a similar offer as above.

I can then sell you all one color, two colors or all three (red, green and cool white) colors TOTALING 10', plus 2 remote control dimmers plus 5 solder-less end connectors in a "kit"...just add additional wire and a switch or wire to your other lights.

When I'm better at soldering I'll offer the different colors in 4" , 8", 12" and custom lengths with nice long wire pigtails attached and silicone sealed.

I sure hope my guinea (partners) in LED are as happy as I am with them.

Edit; As a follow up to getting red and green (in 24 vdc), I'm finding they are 4x the price of the white that I used above and they are coming from China, so it will take longer to get than white. I'll post up pictures of what I have soon.

Last edited:

tobyS

I received the red and green LED 24 weatherproof from China and have a couple of extra pieces to peddle and then will order a few more in various cut length sizes. I'll put an ad in classifieds for them. Sorry no pictures yet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks