• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Detailed photos of up armored HMMWV

halftrack

Evilone said:
What are the tan vehicles on the low-bed's called? They look familiar in a newer V-100 series kind of way. The turret looks similar to the Cadillac-Gage 1M turret. I've seen them before somewhere but can't remember where on-line it was.
Those vehicles are made in New Orleans by Textron land systems. They also make the LCAC for the Navy down here.

ChevyCowboy

jwaller said:
for the life of me I dont understand why they are not putting GM latest powertrain in the vehicle. the Allison and duramax would be an awesome combo with more power(300hp and 520 TQ) and reliability. slow acceleration would be a thing of the past and it's lighter and more fuel efficient. wow what a thought. and to think the H1 got them in the Alpha series. so I know they have done all the R&D to make it happen.
try 360 hp and 665 tq, lol either way I agree with you

deuceman51

I need to take a second to wipe the drool off me. Those are some really cool pics. I love the up armored D7G dozers. I have had much stick time running them, but never with the armor. I always said I would ride a D7 into combat since the whole thing is one giant tank without a main gun,lol.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Designation for the armoured cars on the trailer is M1117 Guardian. Used by MP's.

It is the V100's "grandson" as it was developed from the V150, which was developed from the V100.

davidkroberts

its an ASV "Armored Security Vehicle" I've never used one but some guys i work with have and they liked them alot. Ive seen both Iraqi and American Army troops rolling around in them.

dave in tenn

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Refalgren said:
for looks and functionality they're great vehicles.

on the other hand, due to overloading with excessive material which they were never designed for, the following problems will occur with any heavy duty usage (probably includes decent trail usage as well)

- Increased maintenance due to accelerated parts wearout (too much weight)

- Lack of acceleration (very slow. even with turbo. too much weight)

- Tops out quickly (about 60mph max speed. personal experience. again, too much weight. seeing a pattern yet?)

- Decreased visability (extra armor dictates small, thick door windows. no rear window due to rear armor plate and turtle shell)

- Ground guide usage for backing up required (properly designed mounts which attach LARGE mirrors to the front bumper may alleviate this. small mirrors encountered too often in most cases)

- Armor protection moderately effective against blast-type IEDs (ineffective against latest "penetrator" type IEDs being implemented.)

Overall a good vehicle, but as I have personally driven them in Iraq and seen the results first hand in comparison (pulled security for one of the recovery teams. was assigned an M1114), I would take other vehicles over the M1114 Up-Armored HMMWV into combat (M1117 ASV, and the improved M113 APC system jump to mind)
Concur!

When you put four (Soldiers/Marines) in one with gear, ammunition, extra fuel, etc., they're pigs. Worse with the top-heavy turrets now. I don't know if they did anything to keep them from flipping, or not, but they liked to do that. Especially if the driver whipped the wheel enough, which happens. And it's not a skill issue. Usually due to road surface, collision avoidance, etc. What's the underside like on these? Still sheet metal?

When I first got to IZ, they were fiberglass shells. We had one we called, "the ice-cream truck." I'm glad to see the armor is what it is, but I think the vehicle is boderline, obsolete. They're supposed to just be, "jeeps." (Don't run with that now!) What is being done with these things is far beyond what they where ever supposed to be. They look cool and all, but I'd like to see something more effective and efficient come along. Soon!

They going to re-work this thing forever! Stick a fork in it! It's done!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks