• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Max egt's on nhc250?

my blood flows OD

I installed a digital egt gauge from auburn instruments in my 813. I turned up the fuel 1-1/2 turns so far. The highest temperature I've seen on hard hill climbs is 1050. What is a bad temp?
Can I turn up the fuel more?
Can I safely try a smaller fuel button.
I tried to search it but got no results.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
1250 is the highest you should go. maybe 1350 for a second or two. Your pump would be rebuilt to a certain performance spec and bench tested. 15%, 25%, 35% My NHC250 pump is sitting 45 percent more flow than stock and I don't run a pyrometer cause I don't need more than 70 percent throttle so I am not overloading it with fuel. Adjusting your fuel and not knowing where it's sweet spot is just wasting money.
You said you turned it up 1 1/2 turns. What did you turn to go up 1 1/2? Cause if you drilled the little ball bearing out and turned that thing up 1 full turn 360 degrees and your truck isn't burnt up then something in your pump is screwed up anyways.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where is the thermocouple located?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Usually if you turn that adjustment inside the ball bearing more than about an 8th of a turn people will have a lot more throttle response and noticeable power and will see high egt numbers. I am sure your needle valve is stuck then. There is no way you turned that thing 1 1/2turns and your egt is that low if it is adjusting properly

Did you turn it clockwise or counter clock wise?

Last edited:

my blood flows OD

Counter clockwise. I did the duel fuel line mod with three eights line. I did not notice any power difference from that at all. I turn the pump up one and a half and noticed an increase in power. I was told that to complete turn what is considered moderate. anything above that you were getting extreme

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Counter clockwise. I did the duel fuel line mod with three eights line. I did not notice any power difference from that at all. I turn the pump up one and a half and noticed an increase in power. I was told that to complete turn what is considered moderate. anything above that you were getting extreme
Your needle valve is stuck. You should have had 100x better throttle response off the dual line kit alone without touching the fuel which would raise your egts as well.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
That and you have a 26 or 28 button probably.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

sandcobra164

I'll weigh in just a tad. I drilled out the throttle shaft on my truck, unscrewed about 7/8 of a turn and noticed good results. Or so I thought... My injection pump somehow pushed the front seal to the companion flange out and pushed the front seal of the companion flange out as well. I wound up with 15 gallons of oil/diesel mix in the oil pan. Had my injection pump rebuilt and now it runs stronger than ever. The shop that did the work on the pump claims they went 10 percent over stock. I asked if my "hotrodding" trick caused the problem and was told, maybe. He did say it wasn't even pushing stock pressure as the internals in the pump were worn. 84 model with 20,000 miles, never rebuilt and sat for quite some time. That explains the seals bursting out in short order on the companion flange. Simp gave you good advice, have the pump worked over by a competent person at an injection shop.

sandcobra164

Mine costed $325 at a local shop here in Albany called R&S Diesel. I had to shop around a little to actually find a shop who still works on these.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Is it worth getting the injectors rebuilt at the same time? Or do most people just replaced them
Just leave them alone. You can't get anymore power out of them other than going up to say 350 injectors if you added a turbo it would help. For a stock engine the stock injectors are fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks