• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Desired front axle caster and pinion angle

sail78385

Looking into swapping a custom front axle into my m715 -I can measure the pinion angle but since these factory axles have CVs I cant find a good number for caster. Can anyone help with this?

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Robert is right and I think it results is a positive caster angle of the wheel. Post up pictures of your fun!

Jamesan

Not sure what axle you want, but typically you should install the suspension, then select the pinion angle, which is a different setting depending on if you are using two single ujoints or a cv(double carden) joint on your driveshaft. Once you have that set, and your spring perches welded in the right place, Then you set your caster to what you want by reclocking the knuckles which requires welding them on at the correct angle.

Last edited:

Barrman

As stated above, lots of "if this, then" stuff to tie all together. If running U-joints for the front drive shaft, then setting the front yoke at the same angle as the output on the transfer case is what you want to do. That will give you a 6° to 7° positive front caster angle on an open knuckle Dana 60. You didn't state what axle you are putting in, I was just guessing.

If you are running a CV front drive shaft, then the yoke is supposed to point directly at the transfer case output yoke. That will probably take you down to 2° or 3° caster. That low of a caster will make the truck very lively on the road and the steering will be slow to self center coming out of turns. However, you can fine tune it with tire pressure so it will be a good ride. Unique, but still good.

sail78385

Thanks for the replies, you cant just set the axle to factory specs since this is a closed knuckle design. I cant get a measurement off of the axle for caster angle because of the closed knuckles. I know people have swapped over Ford and Chevy axles but that really doesn't help know what the angles should be. I was able to get some measurements from the owner of this badass m715. Should be good to go now. m715 bryan.jpgm715 bryan2.jpg

Barrman

Open or closed knuckle doesn't effect the castor measurement. I have the stock closed knuckle D60 on my M715. When measured by a Hunter Engineering alignment machine, I have 4.5° castor. You didn't state in the first post that you were trying to set up stock axles.

nitro_rat

Sorry this is a little late, but here is the scoop on solid axle caster:

Caster with power steering should be +6-7* (top of the spindle tilted towards the back of the vehicle). With manual steering around +2-4* is much easier to steer.

If tilting the pinion up to set pinion angle with a lift or spring over, your caster will likely go negative. This is sketchy and dangerous to drive that way (think shopping cart wheels). The inner c’s will probably need to be cut and turned to properly set caster (maybe search on pirate4x4 for how to do this if you’re not familiar).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks