• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lifting 55 gallon drums

rtadams89

I figured some of you may have experience with stuff like this an may have advice to prevent my from hurting myself or destroying the drums.

Soon, I will need to load a bunch of 55 gallon drum barrels (about 400lbs each) into the back of my M35. I have a crane in the bed of the truck that is capable of lifting the load, but I don't currently have any way to grab on to the drums. The drums I will be lifting are metal, but not ribbed and have removable lids that are secured with a latching ring seal. Looking around, the only options I have found are slings that ratchet around the drum circumference -- but these require ribs -- and ones like a Merrill drum lifter -- but these clamp on to the rim and I'm afraid they will damage the lid/seal.

Are there other options out there I'm not finding?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
This is as good as you're gonna' get.

Resized_20170612_175447.jpg

JDToumanian

I have one of these, a Morse model 92 drum lifter. They're not cheap, but I got lucky and got one basically for free in an industrial auction lot of misc. crap.

Jon

Attachments

garrett7189

chain sling northern tool item#52416-1764

I figured some of you may have experience with stuff like this an may have advice to prevent my from hurting myself or destroying the drums.

Soon, I will need to load a bunch of 55 gallon drum barrels (about 400lbs each) into the back of my M35. I have a crane in the bed of the truck that is capable of lifting the load, but I don't currently have any way to grab on to the drums. The drums I will be lifting are metal, but not ribbed and have removable lids that are secured with a latching ring seal. Looking around, the only options I have found are slings that ratchet around the drum circumference -- but these require ribs -- and ones like a Merrill drum lifter -- but these clamp on to the rim and I'm afraid they will damage the lid/seal.

Are there other options out there I'm not finding?

We use that chain sling from northern tools because it has locking tabs on it & is only 45 dollars. Item # 52416-1764

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most lifting accessories are way too complicated - and expensive...
All you need is a pair of these hooks:
lift hook.PNG

... and a few feet of 5/16" chain. Then you build this (with- or w/o lifting eye):
drum lifting chain sling.PNG

Or use a 2"-strap sling, instead.

Make a second one, a bit longer, so you can lift them horizontally, too.

Attachments

garrett7189

Are those hooks/chain slings safe (both to me and the barrels) to use on ones with removable lids?
As long as you are competent as an average Joe off of the street I would say you can operate it safely- now if a sling and and handle confuses you then yes- maybe get something easier to operate like a hired hand to do the work for you. Point being they sell them for a reason or you can overthink anything-