• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked up a deuce last month

Engineer 1SG

Long time lurker, been a member and viewing this site for nearly 7 years, just now making my first post. Picked up a deuce off of Craigslist from Dover, Delaware last month. Drove it 2 hours south to my home on Virginia's eastern shore. Pretty uneventful trip, smoked a lot and maxed out at 55 mph.

Deuce is a 1970 non-turbo without winch. Seems to be in fairly good shape.

As I was parking the deuce in my yard, I was backing up with the wife guiding me... she yells stop, I hit the brakes a little too hard, and they went to the floor. Turns out the rear brake lines had considerable rust, and the sudden pressure caused the right rear line to burst, losing all brakes. I plan to replace all of the hydraulic lines and hoses before I take it back on the road. Glad the failure didn't happen on the way home!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The NA trucks like to leave a smoke trail of where they've been, that's normal. Steel brake lines are an easy auto parts store fix.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you plan on changing out all the lines, get some of that nicklebrake line stuff. Much better product imho.

Engineer 1SG

I had most of a 25' foot roll of 1/4" Poly-armor brake line left from another project and used it to replace all of the metal lines on the axles. I picked up new line fittings from Autozone. Next I'll need to get new hoses and also replace the lines along the frame, which are 5/16 if I remember right.

jasonjc

I had most of a 25' foot roll of 1/4" Poly-armor brake line left from another project and used it to replace all of the metal lines on the axles. I picked up new line fittings from Autozone. Next I'll need to get new hoses and also replace the lines along the frame, which are 5/16 if I remember right.

I like the "poly-armor" stuff too and its the right color!

twisted60

Welcome from South Florida, your first MV will always be your baby. Glad you made it home safe, my recovery was 1200 mile (2.5 days)...loved every minute of it.

FloridaAKM

Welcome from North Florida, post up some pictures of your new to you truck. We all have to see pictures. There is much information & guys to help you along with getting your truck in tip top running shape.

I have to pick up a 1985 Deuce from Gov Planet when the EUC clears & the waiting is the hardest part. My recovery will only be 20 miles this time instead of 430 last time.

Keep us informed as to your progress and enjoy the ride.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks