• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blew oil line engine now toast! Cat 3116 getting replaced

Dirtdiggler

First, hello all. Long time lurker.

We bought an M1079 and have been doing a lot of work and driving it a LOT over the past summer and this weekend that came to a screaming end when an oil line ruptured and subsequently so did our engine as we descended Washington pass.

Happy to elaborate, but right now my main interest is finding a new engine for this baby as it is our full time house right now. Anyone have one they want to crate up and send to Mt Vernon?

FYI we are on Instagram @dieselpowerwolfpack if that's your thing...

Attachments

so sorry this happened, I have to know what line broke to do this to you, post a photo when u get caught up a bit, I DON'T want this happening to Brutus

Seth

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I swapped engines in June, it's a lot of work. It took us like 5 full days (sun up to sun down, on the longest days of the year), plus 5-6 more days of 4:30-9PM. We hadn't done it before, but I have changed engines in things before. It was also tough to find a rental engine crane that could lift high enough to get it out... the one we had cleared by about 1", and only while twisting the engine and pushing it around the shock tower.

Rebuilder

I've been following your adventures on Instagram. Could it just be a top end rebuild? I'm far from an expert but it might be worth checking out.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dang man that REALLY REALLY sucks. I plan to look at mine and change it prophetically I think. Wow, wish I had better words of encouragement than that. Good luck on your replacement. And if Will (Supermn) says its right. Its right. If you are in need get the engine and get it done.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it dropped a valve it will most likely be more than a top end rebuild. Probably took out a piston and maybe bent a rod as well. If there is coolant in the oil then it broke a cylinder wall when the piston failed or the head was broken through where the valve was pushed up against it. That is the road I went down with two motors that dropped valves.

Dirtdiggler

I really doubt it. After I had the new line made we drove out about 6 miles with about 70% power and then THUD! And all the oil and coolant came rushing out. There were a couple sheared bolts as well. Not sure if the cam went flying forward or what but it's done.

Dirtdiggler

If it dropped a valve it will most likely be more than a top end rebuild. Probably took out a piston and maybe bent a rod as well. If there is coolant in the oil then it broke a cylinder wall when the piston failed or the head was broken through where the valve was pushed up against it. That is the road I went down with two motors that dropped valves.
That seems right.

Does anyone have a part number for this steel oil line that blew, I want to buy one today!!!! Not playing with this, don't want this happening to me.

Seth

DanM7890

Good for you! How did you know it broke?
Oil pressure dropped and I pulled over on the side of the hwy and saw all the oil on the ground. I have pics that I uploaded onto here in my thread. Along with that line, it also cracked the timing surround which you can see in that photo. Seems the culprit was the air compressor vibration.

IMG_2928.jpgIMG_2922.jpgIMG_2909.jpgIMG_2929.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks