Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pinion seal - which side is which?

4 Star General
    Thanks

Hello there fellow MVers.
    I have a question and comment on the seal mentioned above. First I have to add that no, I have not yet changed one of the pinion seals but I do need to as I don't have real leak but just a seep at this time.

A double lipped seal is usually used in an application where there are oils on each side of the seal and this is designed to keep them from mixing or transferring.
    With this said, if the outer lip is not kept wet by oil or grease it usually wears a groove in the shaft that rotates within it.

Is this seal really supposed to be double lipped or is the original design a single lip?
    I only mention this as these parts are getting more expensive and harder to find.
    A speedy sleeve can repair or prevent a wear groove in many applications and my M38 has a few of them riding around helping to keep oil where it needs to be.

jimm1009 (Jim)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jimm1009 For This Useful Post:

cucvmule (10-15-2019)

2 Star General
    Thanks

Sound Advise, the sleeves can save a bad wear surface or "prevent" one from happening. The problem with the sleeve is that the seal is tolerance made for original size. However the seal if need be can always be replaced at a shorter interval as needed.
    Belt Fed Multi Barrel Motor Motivated

Help From Above

GAU 8 See You Next Time

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cucvmule For This Useful Post:

jimm1009 (10-17-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,164 Times in 1,558 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimm1009 View Post
    .... A double lipped seal is usually used in an application where there are oils on each side of the seal and this is designed to keep them from mixing or transferring....
    Not in this case: The one referenced above is only a "so called" double-lip seal, and both lips are not identical. The outer one is much smaller and doesn't have a spring. It just helps to keep sand and mud away from the real sealing area.
    With this said, if the outer lip is not kept wet by oil or grease it usually wears a groove in the shaft that rotates within it.
    Yes, that - or the lip just wears away. That's why at the time of installation one should fill the space between lips with some light grease. (Synthetic grease preferred.)
    Is this seal really supposed to be double lipped or is the original design a single lip?
    Original design is a fully encased single-lip with a built in felt ring facing to the outside. Those are not being made any longer so we just use modern double-lip seals, instead. And since these are narrower and there is plenty of room, one can run two of them in there, either stacked or back to back. (-> post #4)

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gringeltaube For This Useful Post:

davidb56 (10-17-2019), jimm1009 (10-17-2019), silverstate55 (10-16-2019), wascomatw74 (10-15-2019)

Thanks

As Gringletaube said, if you can get two of the Timken seals in, the first one with the lip/spring on the oil side, and the second one with the lip/spring on the outside, this will prevent water from entering the pumpkin when it is submerged. I did that to a wagoner after numerous "drum puller" rentals and seal replacements when playing in the deep water decades ago.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to davidb56 For This Useful Post:

silverstate55 (10-16-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,157 Times in 3,470 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davidb56 View Post
    As Gringletaube said, if you can get two of the Timken seals in, the first one with the lip/spring on the oil side, and the second one with the lip/spring on the outside, this will prevent water from entering the pumpkin when it is submerged. I did that to a wagoner after numerous "drum puller" rentals and seal replacements when playing in the deep water decades ago.
    The original military "double" seals haven't been used since the 1970's. At "Ben's Truck Parts" where I worked rebuilding old military differentials, transmissions', and transfer-cases they had a large supply of them. They where really wide and had two distinct lip seals. One facing in towards the oil and the other facing outward to prevent water and other crap from entering the unit. So since the differentials where designed for this wide seal, doubling the modern lip seals should work just fine.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rustystud For This Useful Post:

davidb56 (10-17-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2