• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP Meter Calibration

Kenny0

I have a MEP 802, so I will be using the MEP 802 specifications for the meter calibrations.
I have mine set up for single phase 240 V.

That would be 26 At 240 V or 52 A at 120 V
This process will work on most other generators. Just use the specifications for your generator.

P1000787.jpg

I will start with the voltage meter, I usually leave this to monitor 240 V. first off you need an accurate meter to measure with. Attach your meter to the output lugs with the engine off. Then start the engine and adjust the voltage to 240 V with the meter you just attached. If the panel meter does not read the correct voltage use a screwdriver and turn the adjustment screw on the gauge, this is located just below the glass on the gauge. Use the biggest screwdriver that will go in that slot. Shut off the engine and disconnect your meter, you are done.

Next we'll go with the frequency meter. I think the best way is to use a kill a Watt meter or a multimeter with a frequency setting. My kill a Watt meter when plugged into a utility line reads between 59.9 and 60 Hz, so we should be good. Connect your frequency meter to the convenience outlet either directly or through an extension cord. Start the generator and let it run long enough to stabilize everything. Adjust the frequency control on the generator for 60 Hz with your meter then check your panel meter and if it does not read the same make the same adjustment as above, to · 60 Hz, you are done.

There is another way to check your frequency, and that is with a tachometer.1800 RPM will give you exactly 60 Hz. If you have a 2 pole generator, 3600 RPM would be exactly 60 Hz. I think the best tachometer would be an optical tachometer, that would be one where you would place a reflective tape on whatever you are measuring the RPM, the second choice would be a mechanical tachometer, this would not be as accurate, and would be the most dangerous because you would have your fingers hand and arm in the direct vicinity of rotating parts. Another option would be a diesel timing light, that has a transducer that is clamped on the line of injector number one, this would also measure your RPM accurately. On a gasoline engine there is also another option, a tachometer with an antenna which is held close to your spark plugs. These can be a little finicky. With this you would have to know if there is a waste spark, if you have one of these you would probably know what I mean.

Next up is the battery charge meter. This will be checked with the engine stopped. With the engine stopped the gauge should be right on zero. If not, adjust the screw as mentioned above. Any time you make an adjustment, tap the gauge with your finger and make sure it still reads zero. When you read zero you're done.

The last gauge calibration will be the current meter. Some people call this the load meter or a power meter. Remember, this meter is only used for generator output. First we need at 26 amp load for 240 V, it can be a combination of inductive and resistive load. The resistive load should be half or more of the total load, this will become clear later. Also 2 incandescent lightbulbs hooked up in series can be used to fine-tune the load. 2 300w bulbs would be 600W total. Next, we need an accurate amp meter to monitor one leg of the 220 V. A clamp on amp meter would be the easiest as long as it is accurate. Start the generator let it warm up and apply the load. Fine-tune the load to get as close to 26 A as possible, if you are within one amp or so use a voltage adjustment to fine-tune to 26 A. Let the generator stabilize at that load and look and see if your amp meter is still reading 26 A, if not fine-tune with the voltage control. The load meter on the panel should be reading 100%, if not the just as above. You are done.

Remember, this gauge reads the output load of the generator only. There can be a big difference between power produced and power used. I have another post that I think would explain that - https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?171845-My-Generator-Won-t-Run-a-2825-Watt-Load

This post was longer than I wanted it to be, but I am a detail person. That is one of the traits of being in Aspie.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
One more time. Take the meter readings with a grain of salt. You can adjust them. But over time they will still drift off. They are still close enough for government work. I set them up once or twice a year and left it at that. But then we were running 24/7.

robson1015

I have a MEP 802, so I will be using the MEP 802 specifications for the meter calibrations.
I have mine set up for single phase 240 V.

That would be 26 At 240 V or 52 A at 120 V
This process will work on most other generators. Just use the specifications for your generator.

View attachment 700314

I will start with the voltage meter, I usually leave this to monitor 240 V. first off you need an accurate meter to measure with. Attach your meter to the output lugs with the engine off. Then start the engine and adjust the voltage to 240 V with the meter you just attached. If the panel meter does not read the correct voltage use a screwdriver and turn the adjustment screw on the gauge, this is located just below the glass on the gauge. Use the biggest screwdriver that will go in that slot. Shut off the engine and disconnect your meter, you are done.

Next we'll go with the frequency meter. I think the best way is to use a kill a Watt meter or a multimeter with a frequency setting. My kill a Watt meter when plugged into a utility line reads between 59.9 and 60 Hz, so we should be good. Connect your frequency meter to the convenience outlet either directly or through an extension cord. Start the generator and let it run long enough to stabilize everything. Adjust the frequency control on the generator for 60 Hz with your meter then check your panel meter and if it does not read the same make the same adjustment as above, to · 60 Hz, you are done.

There is another way to check your frequency, and that is with a tachometer.1800 RPM will give you exactly 60 Hz. If you have a 2 pole generator, 3600 RPM would be exactly 60 Hz. I think the best tachometer would be an optical tachometer, that would be one where you would place a reflective tape on whatever you are measuring the RPM, the second choice would be a mechanical tachometer, this would not be as accurate, and would be the most dangerous because you would have your fingers hand and arm in the direct vicinity of rotating parts. Another option would be a diesel timing light, that has a transducer that is clamped on the line of injector number one, this would also measure your RPM accurately. On a gasoline engine there is also another option, a tachometer with an antenna which is held close to your spark plugs. These can be a little finicky. With this you would have to know if there is a waste spark, if you have one of these you would probably know what I mean.

Next up is the battery charge meter. This will be checked with the engine stopped. With the engine stopped the gauge should be right on zero. If not, adjust the screw as mentioned above. Any time you make an adjustment, tap the gauge with your finger and make sure it still reads zero. When you read zero you're done.

The last gauge calibration will be the current meter. Some people call this the load meter or a power meter. Remember, this meter is only used for generator output. First we need at 26 amp load for 240 V, it can be a combination of inductive and resistive load. The resistive load should be half or more of the total load, this will become clear later. Also 2 incandescent lightbulbs hooked up in series can be used to fine-tune the load. 2 300w bulbs would be 600W total. Next, we need an accurate amp meter to monitor one leg of the 220 V. A clamp on amp meter would be the easiest as long as it is accurate. Start the generator let it warm up and apply the load. Fine-tune the load to get as close to 26 A as possible, if you are within one amp or so use a voltage adjustment to fine-tune to 26 A. Let the generator stabilize at that load and look and see if your amp meter is still reading 26 A, if not fine-tune with the voltage control. The load meter on the panel should be reading 100%, if not the just as above. You are done.

Remember, this gauge reads the output load of the generator only. There can be a big difference between power produced and power used. I have another post that I think would explain that - https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?171845-My-Generator-Won-t-Run-a-2825-Watt-Load

This post was longer than I wanted it to be, but I am a detail person. That is one of the traits of being in Aspie.
Shouldn't the load meter read 80% at 26amps at 100% load at a .8 pf ??

Kenny0

Shouldn't the load meter read 80% at 26amps at 100% load at a .8 pf ??
No, remember this meter is measuring the generator output in current and measured in amps. A reistive load of 26 amps would be 6240 watts of power consumed, 26 amps of load on the generator and the meter will read 100%. Now, if you had a load of 5000 watts at a power factor of 0.8 the generator would have a load of 26 amps and the meter will read 100%. Power produced and power consumed are two different things when power factor is involved. I have another post that will explain this better.
[h=2]My Generator Won't Run a 2825 Watt Load[/h] https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?171845-My-Generator-Won-t-Run-a-2825-Watt-Load

Last edited:

Kenny0

One more time. Take the meter readings with a grain of salt. You can adjust them. But over time they will still drift off. They are still close enough for government work. I set them up once or twice a year and left it at that. But then we were running 24/7.
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I agree, each generator will have its own characteristics when running and none of the gauges are going to stay exactly at the prescribed settings. You call it drift, I agree. But they can also be good for troubleshooting a problem or detecting an impending problem. I recently became an owner of an 802 and one of the last things that I'll do is check the meters and see if they read accurately, if not I will adjust them as above. After that I will probably never check them again unless a problem arises that should indicate it should be checked. Each generator set will have its own characteristics when running the various loads and the operator of the generator will learn each generators characteristics.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Let me give you one example. A generator has been running 24/7 for several days because of a power outage. The frequency meter has been reading between 59 and 61 Hz. You came out to check the generator and the frequency is at 58 Hz at 25% load, this might indicate a problem. I would probably observe it for another half hour to an hour and see if there are any changes. If the frequency meter remained the same or a lower frequency, the thing that pops into my mind is a fuel filter. If the frequency has dropped below that 58 Hz I would also check the fuel for contamination and check my supply fuel. It could also be other things. If the meter is reading outside of its normal readings, I would suspect a problem.[/FONT]

robson1015

So a 5000w resistant load @ pf 1 would be 21 amps....and would read as 80% load on the meter...Is this correct?
If you set the your amp meter to 13 amps then the load meter should be at 50% load -right?
I think I am getting this- 26amps=100% 13amps =50%

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So a 5000w resistant load @ pf 1 would be 21 amps....and would read as 80% load on the meter...Is this correct?
If you set the your amp meter to 13 amps then the load meter should be at 50% load -right?
That is correct. 5kw at 240v with PF=1 is 21 amps. The load meter will read about 80%.

Kenny0

Yes, exactly. I was just ready to explain further. DieselAddict has it also.

Guyfang

Staff member
I agree, each generator will have its own characteristics when running and none of the gauges are going to stay exactly at the prescribed settings. You call it drift, I agree. But they can also be good for troubleshooting a problem or detecting an impending problem. I recently became an owner of an 802 and one of the last things that I'll do is check the meters and see if they read accurately, if not I will adjust them as above. After that I will probably never check them again unless a problem arises that should indicate it should be checked. Each generator set will have its own characteristics when running the various loads and the operator of the generator will learn each generators characteristics.
Let me give you one example. A generator has been running 24/7 for several days because of a power outage. The frequency meter has been reading between 59 and 61 Hz. You came out to check the generator and the frequency is at 58 Hz at 25% load, this might indicate a problem. I would probably observe it for another half hour to an hour and see if there are any changes. If the frequency meter remained the same or a lower frequency, the thing that pops into my mind is a fuel filter. If the frequency has dropped below that 58 Hz I would also check the fuel for contamination and check my supply fuel. It could also be other things. If the meter is reading outside of its normal readings, I would suspect a problem.
I agree 100%. But sometimes I think we give the new to TAC Power People, the impression that when we discuss something here, that they take it to heart, with spades. Some things need to be done daily, weekly, monthly and annually, (IF you are running up high hours) and some things need to be done maybe once a year, unless problems crop up. Just the thought of someone resetting his meters once a month, brings tears to my eyes.

When you run long time periods, you find many things will affect your readings. The air temperature is one factor. Moisture in the air. Load. These are a few. It took me a long time to get it. Sometimes it's subtle, sometimes not. Here in Germany, humidity is high. Moisture in the meters was a problem. Moisture period, was a problem. And keeping an eye on the meters was and is, the first line of defence. Which brings me to the next step. Looking. Yep. Looking at the meters. Our criteria was every 6 hours. In reality, we did it much more often, but that came from experience.

Bmxenbrett

Great info guys. Dont only appy to the load gauge. My temp reads over 200* yet at the sensor its 175*. There for refrence after you verified there normal location.

Kenny0

I agree 100%. But sometimes I think we give the new to TAC Power People, the impression that when we discuss something here, that they take it to heart, with spades. Some things need to be done daily, weekly, monthly and annually, (IF you are running up high hours) and some things need to be done maybe once a year, unless problems crop up. Just the thought of someone resetting his meters once a month, brings tears to my eyes.

When you run long time periods, you find many things will affect your readings. The air temperature is one factor. Moisture in the air. Load. These are a few. It took me a long time to get it. Sometimes it's subtle, sometimes not. Here in Germany, humidity is high. Moisture in the meters was a problem. Moisture period, was a problem. And keeping an eye on the meters was and is, the first line of defence. Which brings me to the next step. Looking. Yep. Looking at the meters. Our criteria was every 6 hours. In reality, we did it much more often, but that came from experience.
I agree 100%, that is why we all need to know the character of our own generators. Thanks

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks