• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton front shocks

tobyS

Can anyone clear up what the part numbers and sources are for front shocks on a 5 ton, M939 series? I have a terrible bounce and am replacing 14.00 Goodyears with 395 XZL on my M929A2 and would like to put new shocks on, but am not clear on part numbers from a search.

tobyS

Got it.....Picked up these numbers from that M35A2-AZ

Gabriel number 85308 (also check out 85303)

Monroe Number 65116

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Got it.....Picked up these numbers from that M35A2-AZ

Gabriel number 85308 (also check out 85303)

Monroe Number 65116
65116 is correct its what I have on mine

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

tobyS

I see there are some green shocks on fleebay (thanks M35A2-AZ) that appear to be mil surplus. Can't tell the manufacturer nor when they were made. Would they be as good as the Monroe? Or could they be really old stock or possibly not gas. Are gas better than non-gas?

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Monroes also have a 1 year warranty, espically if you get them from the big stores, oreilleys, auto zone

tobyS

I have the Monroe 65116 and when comparing them, see they are about 1" smaller diameter than what's on my 929. Length seems right and bolt seems okay. What is the deal with them being smaller diameter?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Monroe 65116 are light years ahead of the OE shocks. Oe shocks are oil filled and that is part of the reason they are wider. They do not rebound and are obsolete old school technology. Buying nos oe shocks is throwing money away. Old school shocks will eventually bust a seal and leak oil, it is just a matter of when?

All modern shocks are now gas charged which will rebound and make a huge difference especially if you suffer from bucking bronco on pavement. No oe makes oil filled shocks anymore. All the major brands and oe from manufacturers use gas charged to have better control and dampening.

Monroe are lifetime warranty.

You can get the same product in a NAPA label with different paint but prices are real close. Monroe makes napa btw.

You will be real happy with monroe's over the originals. Put a set on and your back will thank you.

specs:
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...m-65/65116/4466897/2007/dodge/durango?q=65116

O"reilly's has a promo now save $20 on $100....

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Will bump this one back up with an addition. I purchased some Meritor/Gabriel 89429 adjustable Gas SLX shocks. 3 adjustable settings . Regular. Firm. Extra firm. I have set mine to firm for now to get a little feel out of it.

My monroe 65116 shocks lasted about 18 months and they were worn out.

These shocks are an inch or so longer. Same mounting bushings/pin holes and are a 1.5" bore. They fit alot of the freightliner FLA cabs.

$122 shipped for a pair off Ebay. Will report back on the ride quality.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Attachments

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't throw away. Save the old Monroe and I can have them exchanged for you next time we cross paths with my previous world contacts.....

74M35A2

I used to think Monroe were the ones to have, until I rode in vehicles with higher end shocks like Bilstein. Huge difference in quality, and price as one would expect.

All shocks are oil damped, the gas charging is atop of this.

Eljefe

74M35A2, do you happen to have a part number on the bilstein front end shock for a 5 ton M939? If I am going through effort I don’t mind spending a few extra bucks for a better unit/ride.

tobyS

Hey Wes, how do you like the Gabriel shocks?

74M35A2, I second Eljefe's Bilstein question if you have the PN.

74M35A2

I don’t, sorry. They probably don’t make them. They would be my pick if they did though.

Wonder if there would be a way to make a plate to simply double up the front shocks.

Last edited:

gstirling

Steel Soldiers Supporter
shocks

simp5782 -- how have the meritor/gabriel shocks worked out? and since i dive very few miles would the monroe's work just a well?
thanks

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Mine have worked fine set on extra firm. The adjustable Gabriel's would be better for a wrecker with the extra front end weight. They are actually cheaper than the monroe shocks in what I have found

gstirling

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine have worked fine set on extra firm. The adjustable Gabriel's would be better for a wrecker with the extra front end weight. They are actually cheaper than the monroe shocks in what I have found
thanks, was wondering if the added weight would mean I should up size.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks