• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacing M54 steering by M809 steering

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PMRamsey asked me if my steering had been upgraded from the standard Ross Hydrapower on my M51A2 to the steering from the M809 series.

Is this something that the military did standard with the later M39s during overhaul?

Did anybody here on the forum already did this and do you need to replace every item of the steering assembly?

I did a quick check of the 809 TMs but could not find a type or manufacturing specification (but its late here, so I easily could have missed it).

Last edited:

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any idea if it is significantly better than the standard Ross Hydrapower steering?

Did you ever looked if they also changed the hydraulic pump or only "the bits above the mechanical steering box".

red

It was done to some of the later m39 5 tons. Never driven a truck with the older power steering but on my m816 wrecker it only takes 1 finger to turn it from lock to lock when sitting still on pavement, even with 500 extra pounds added to the front.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tried to look into the TMs on this but I cannot find the TM I probably need.

The M39 series have the ...20 TM, which is a ORGANIZATIONAL MAINTENANCE MANUAL which gives a detailed description of the trucks at the beginning, including details on the manufacturers of the steering assembly, oil pumps etc etc. I have the Ross Hydrapower HP-70

The ... 20 TM for the M809 series is the TECHNICAL MANUAL UNIT MAINTENANCE, which does not have those descriptions. I checked the other TMs, but could not find something similar for the M809. Do they exist?

I probably know what is at least part of my problem. When testing last time I tried to repair it, I left of the cover clip, so the rust could easily get back on. I had planned to do some more work but never came around it and never covered up that part properly. More work was needed because although the steering was markedly improved, it still was not what it should be.

M51A2 2017 09 fender off _004-cr.JPG M51A2 2017 09 fender off-rc_005.JPG

Last edited:

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bump after the GA rally snow-under. Anybody knows what is the manufacturer and type details on the late M39 5-tons replacement steering assembly? Or is it "just" the new 809 series steering? If so, I did not find those specs, any help would be helpful.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks