• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

APC M113 engine in Denmark

Hello

Locally there is a m113 spec, army rebuild Chrysler 75M for sale, fairly cheap.

Are they any good? Have anyone put one in a truck? Does anything fit the rear? Is it 24v?

It's surpose to 209 hp, no idea on torque.
Waterproof ignition and exhaust manifold included.
Any advice?

Link to add

https://www.guloggratis.dk/biler/reservedele/motor/annonce/38327670-chrysler-motor-v8

Add says;

Chrysler v8, Chrysler / GM gas engine. Army rebuild, haven't run since. Standard Chrysler/GM block

I know from Facebook and google that it is suppose to be an industrial version of the 361 B or RB MOPAR BB. Should be a MBB bellhousing pattern, different cranobolt circle.

Is there anything I need to know?

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
24v ignition and starter. The flywheel is special for the auto trans. A flywheel was made for the New Process Gear 541/ 542 five speed manual transmissions, like those used in the V100 and commercial Dodge trucks. Of these latter 2 there were diffent types of flywheel attachment . The V100 had both 6 bolt asymmetrical and 8 bolt symmetrical. The flywheel needs to match the crankshaft design. Some commercial 54x truck transmissions use a pilot bushing in the crank and a longer input shaft. The the V has a ball bearing in the flywheel and shorter input shaft (with bigger OD for bearing). The commercial trucks and V used a cast iron bell housing. The exhaust manifolds do not fit a V, the flange is different. The pulleys, oil filter housing are different too. The cam is gear drive with out idlers so it turns backwards compared to, say, vintage big block autos. This required a mirror grind. Not sure if the carb is same as V. If so it is an odd ball Holley Teapot style low cfm and reputed to be poor performer, hard to tune and fuel inefficient. The bolt pattern is weird making upgrade using the stock manifold difficult. If I recall correctly one of the few carbs that bolt to intake up is the 55 Vette (might be a Carter). Engine has an unusual governor driven off frt of cam. Max rpm was 4000. The oil pan is 8 or 9 qt front sump with associated longer pick up. Some dodge motor homes used a similar frt sump though with 1 qt less. Cars typically had a shallow mid sump pan. Engine has 7/16 sodium cooled exh valves with rotators. Dist is dual point with special extension section under it. It has a longer drive shaft. I think the block weighs 180 lbs bare. The water pump housing is a truck part and uses a 5 bolt water pump. Cars used different housings and had 4 bolt water pumps. HP=Torque x RPM/ 5252 so 209 HP at 4000 RPM torque would be 274.4 lb ft. Keep in mind that 4000 rpm may or may not be the rpm where max torque occurs. That's enough rambling.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Few pic of the two V100 flywheels and cranks. Note the crankshaft flanges not only have different bolt patterns but they stick out of block a different lengths. The flywheels compensate for this. The back side being totally different.

Also here is a pic of an early Chrysler 354 cu in flywheel circa mid 50's. These have a very big hole in center. They used a crankshaft pilot bushing. This flywheel will bolt up to the 8 bolt pattern M113 crank but it will not work with a v100 transmission because it cannot hold the ball bearing pilot bearing. The V input shaft does not reach the crank so the only way to make it work would be to fabricate an adapter flange for the flywheel, to hold the bearing... (or change the trans input shaft). A commercial truck transmission with a longer input shaft should work with either flywheel as long as the crank has a pilot bushing or was machined to accept it. This probably sounds very confusing.

Oh, one other thing. I thought the ring gear on the M113 flywheel ring gear was smaller than the V's 186t gear. If that is true the M113 starter would need a starter with a big gear on the starter drive, to reach the flywheel. I have all 3 flywheels and can verify if necessary.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jimk, are these engines reverse rotation from normal car/truck engines? Someone told me that.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Normal rotation.

The engine is, however, installed backwards in the V100. The transfer case corrects that relative reverse rotation by having 4 gears (instead of the typical 3, or 2 sprockets and chain). In other words, the t-case input rotation is not the same as the output rotation.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
My understanding is the rear of block/ bolt pattern of the M75 (361 B block) is same as the civilian B and RB blocks. The B blocks all had 3.375" stroke (ex. 350, 383 and 400) the RB's (Raised Block) all had a 3.75" stroke (ex. the 1959-60 383, 413, 426 Wedge, and 440), and probably the second generation hemi (426). Maybe others. Internally there are differences.

The military manuals are pretty bad and have lots of mistakes. They might be ok for tune up. For an engine rebuild there are high performance Big Block manuals that are better (HP Books, Don Taylor...)

Here is a side by side for the M113 flywheel and an 8 bolt V-100 flywheel. Both are from M75 engines (the military designation, the Chrysler designation is "industrial engine", and most of the civilian 361s were "truck" engines). The 113 has an automatic transmission, the V 100 has manual transmission with 13" clutch. The M113 flywheel and ring gear are smaller. A lot smaller. I have never seen the 113 starter so I assume the gear on the starter drive is bigger. I may be wrong.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks