• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

emergency brake

Countryconnor4

hi, i am new to the deuce community. just bought a 1970 m35a2 this past Saturday. i took it to work this morning and when i parked it i went to pull the e-brake up but it would not come up. The brake has worked since Saturday and to my surprise worked well. Any reasons why the e-brake is stuck down?

thanks

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You need to crawl up under it and see if the pivot arm is seized up, or the show may be bound. Could even be a seized cable. The brake pivot has a grease fitting on it I believe. Use a pry bar and see if you can get any slack anywhere if everything appears to be free from the brake mechanism.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Take the cable off and see if you can move it by hand. Try hitting it with a grease gun or taking it apart and adding anti seize

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did it work Saturday, Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday?

Please capitalize, as our rules request.

71DeuceAK

Dead thread revival I know, but I'm having a similar situation on a truck, but in this case it's been sitting for 6 years so I suspect rust is the culprit. I didn't want to really just rip on it, or start shooting things with WD40 or Corrosion Block or PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench before I knew what I was doing...suggestions?

someoldmoose

Start at the handle and spray penetrant of choice into and on every cable. DO NOT GET SPRAY ON LININGS OR DRUM, obviously. Grease anything that has a Zerk on it ( follow L.O. religiously ). When I picked up mine last year it had just been completely lubed and I still took a turn around her following the L.O. and making sure the pivots were free. Do you park the truck in gear ? I always park with the trans in reverse as a back-up ( pun intended ) in case a cable would break or some other malfunction occur. Of course that means one must make sure the vehicle is in Neutral before hitting the Vroom button but everyone ( including two-pedalers ) does that anyway, right ? P M C S, LEARN IT, KNOW IT, LIVE IT. :lol:

Last edited:

71DeuceAK

Re: parked in gear, I don't think this one was left in gear, although, I have seen it happen often.

The first time I ever drove a stick shift (it wasn't that long ago actually) it was in an USMC M813A1. It had been left parked in gear, and being it was the first time I ever drove a manual I started the vehicle without stepping on the clutch, found myself rolling forward, nearly plowing through a pile of 55 gallon drums into a river. But that's another story.

someoldmoose

That's exactly why Civvie cars with manual trans. have a "clutch interlock" switch now. I did the same thing in my dad's '66 Chevy pick-up while on a date trying to turn the key to Acc. to play the radio. Ooops !

71DeuceAK

I honestly thought it was kinda funny even when it happened. I generally respond to stressful or taxing situations with laughter and this was no exception. In this case, it wasn't a date but I did have umpteen people watching the spectacle. After I instinctively just killed the engine after the first one I just heard this wave of laughter from behind me, everyone knew what I'd done as several of these people had driven these. It wasn't any Steel Soldiers rally but it was with a bunch of people who knew these trucks pretty well.

Then I had a Soldier B on the running board giving me directions..."Don't give it too much gas! It's not an automatic! It's not going to shift itself!"

I don't think many people were initiated that way...

someoldmoose

I don't think many people were initiated that way...[/QUOTE]

Those who learn operate a vehicle with three pedals are a rapidly fading group. The trucks coming out today with power everything and automated engine / trans. combos are the future. Until the "new" future. When the sun drops a big E.M.P. on us and all the electronic "toys" go dead, my old mechanical beast will still be rollin'.

71DeuceAK

I don't think many people were initiated that way...
Those who learn operate a vehicle with three pedals are a rapidly fading group. The trucks coming out today with power everything and automated engine / trans. combos are the future. Until the "new" future. When the sun drops a big E.M.P. on us and all the electronic "toys" go dead, my old mechanical beast will still be rollin'.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the "millenial anti-theft device" got me. I'm actually "post-millenial" or "Generation Z" though, as I was born after '96. (It even blows my mind that there are people born in 2000 that are now adults). It's funny though, in random conversation I've run into many people who literally first drove a manual in an MV, especially if they were in in the '80s or '90s, or if they were a young hobbyist. Shoot, I even know of a case where the first vehicle someone ever drove was an M923.

And yeah, even after the EMP (or whatever, I won't go there, as prepper topics are frowned upon on here) the M809s and M939s will still run fine. I wouldn't want any vehicle but one of these to be honest.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks