• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6CTA8.3 engine rebuild for Sur Móvil

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just be mindful of the piston cooling nozzles, They are some sort of plastic and can break easily if they are hit with a hard object. The crank comes out if one breaks. The cracks that happen are just between liners at the deck only. It has been a bit, I don't remember if the early C had tabs cast in the block to prevent the bottom of the liner from falling on/into the crank if the liner broke. My advice is to use a mirror to look up from the bottom of the liner to make sure you are grabbing the liner and not the block.

Nuttin wrong wit reusing parts. As long as there is cross hatch in the liner and the ring lands aren't all beat out, re use what you need. Not the rings though, you will build a big oil pump. The only issue is that I think the engine Mos has dropped a valve seat, so pistons aren't reusable and I would not reuse the liners from the cylinders with heavy piston damage.

Mos68x

Hey Mos, if your doing a complete overhaul and by some chance you get your liners and a piston out in good condition, let me know, I may be interested in buying them from you. I have an A2 that needs a piston, six liners and rings, plus a head and turbo as well. I’m cheap and not above putting used parts in, unless someone tells me I’m nuts and gives good reason not to.
JB, I won’t say you’re crazy - it’s our budgets that dictate everything in life. Getting this truck running again, and in reliable condition, is the top priority for me. I will say though, I’ve got at least two liners that are trashed beyond repair, but your welcome to see if you can repair them if you want to. Three of my pistons are trashed and I would strongly advise against reusing them, once again however I won’t stop you if you wish to try them. The cracks in my head are most likely something that could be ignored but you will have to get the valve seats replaced no matter what. I’ve heard of some shops being able to weld them up, which is possible, but it’s beyond the ability of my local shop so I chose to go with a rebuildable core. As far as my turbo, I just rebuilt it so it’s still working good, plus it has a brand new (and purty) powdercoat job done on it. However, before I let it go I need to find my replacement for it. Which, if you’ve paid attention to other posts of mine you’ll remember that I’ve mentioned getting a new one anyways. Not because of issues with mine, I just live at 6000’ elevation so getting started on a hill is nightmare-ish. I want to drop my turbo lag from 1500-ish rpm to about 800-1000 rpm. I was working on the turbo decision with a diesel shop but this rebuild quickly took priority. If you’re serious about the head at least, I’ll be willing to work something out with you and deliver it as I’m going to SC to pick up the “new” head. The other parts will depend on how quickly I can get the old ones out. Right now I’m visiting my brother in NV again, so as soon as I get home I’ll drop the oil pan and open it up. Hopefully I don’t get any more bad news, but I should at least be able to drop the pistons. The liners will be much more difficult I think, but we shall see. See in the above posts for my phone # and text me if you’re interested. I leave here about the 7th - 9th of June and it will be balls to the wall trying to get this truck ready for my towns parade on the 13th of July.

Just be mindful of the piston cooling nozzles, They are some sort of plastic and can break easily if they are hit with a hard object. The crank comes out if one breaks. The cracks that happen are just between liners at the deck only. It has been a bit, I don't remember if the early C had tabs cast in the block to prevent the bottom of the liner from falling on/into the crank if the liner broke. My advice is to use a mirror to look up from the bottom of the liner to make sure you are grabbing the liner and not the block.

Nuttin wrong wit reusing parts. As long as there is cross hatch in the liner and the ring lands aren't all beat out, re use what you need. Not the rings though, you will build a big oil pump. The only issue is that I think the engine Mos has dropped a valve seat, so pistons aren't reusable and I would not reuse the liners from the cylinders with heavy piston damage.
Thanks Will! It sounded like you were saying their manufacturer defects that caused potential cracking between the liners below the deck.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Mos, but after reading Wills response and that you already have liner damage, don’t worry about me, just focus on protecting those cooling nozzles and getting your truck back on the road!
I’ll just keep looking for a cheap, good running, beat down old road tractor for a re-power...

Mos68x

It looks like the compressor wheel retaining nut came off and was swallowed. You should find it embedded in the piston of one cylinder, the others should be ok. Pull the head off before you order parts, you may need less than you think. I think the worst you will need is one piston and maybe a valve only, hopefully not a replacement head.

Head studs are pricy for an 8.3L, but the head gasket is the weak part if increasing boost and timing. You may be able to O ring or fire ring the sealing surface for less than aftermarket head studs.

Bummer to to see bad luck hit the truck in more than one spot in the same week for you.
Remember when you wrote that 74? Lol care to re-evaluate?

74M35A2

I have not been keeping up with this thread much, but I remember seeing the retaining nut missing from your turbo compressor wheel, along with rocker arms loosening up twice and then suddenly wrecked pistons and head (unless I am getting you confused with somebody else)?

You need to figure out what failed and why, so it does not happen again. These are usually pretty robust motors. Worst that normally happens with these in these trucks is rings rust to the cylinder from extended sitting, then a restart, and then it has blow-by out the draft tube. Hard metal part failure is kind of rare, I think....

Or just change your name to www.rockerarmskeepfallingoff.com

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I've got an 8.3 to pull out of a M930 dumptruck doing the same thing. Dead cylinder. Replaced the injector. Known good fuel pressure and pump but the cylinder is dead. Pulled the valve cover, rocker arms are fine. So ill bust it apart after a motor swap next week.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
We have a supplier of 8.3s that are around 2000$ for the engine and transmissions out of log trucks that were destroyed by logs or in the woods. I'll swap it all out and tear into the motor later.
Hope you have better luck than me. I didn’t think the head would be toast on mine.
Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Mos68x

We have a supplier of 8.3s that are around 2000$ for the engine and transmissions out of log trucks that were destroyed by logs or in the woods. I'll swap it all out and tear into the motor later.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Sounds good!

When I get back from visiting my brother on the 8th-ish, I’ll take a day getting everything ready, and I’ll take the long road trip to the east coast.

Mos68x

Anyone know of anyone driving east coast to west coast? Might consider using the pony express if I can get here in about a month. Also got a request for a quote going through Fastenal, figure if it’ll be about the same cost as my total gas then I definitely consider it. Too bad Greyhound limits their shipments to 100# ea.

Mos68x

Finally got the quote from Fastenal, $205 according to the numbers I used. Once the seller gets the head ready for shipment and I get the final dimensions and weight from the seller I can get an exact price. I just used the the size of the head and 250# (about 65# more than the head itself)

Mos68x

I've got an 8.3 to pull out of a M930 dumptruck doing the same thing. Dead cylinder. Replaced the injector. Known good fuel pressure and pump but the cylinder is dead. Pulled the valve cover, rocker arms are fine. So ill bust it apart after a motor swap next week.
Got any news on yours Wes?

Mos68x

This guy is really starting to irritate me. Slow as molasses to respond by text and never answers the phone. Been almost 2 weeks since he sent a text with the picture of the head off the engine and ready to ship, but hanvent received a weight or dimensions for any crating he will use to send it. At this point I certainly do not recommend using him if you can help it.

74M35A2

Bummer, sorry. Maybe he hates dealing with shipping. I paid him up front and gave him a Fed-Ex number to ship my stuff on. No excuse, but that would be my guess.

Mos68x

I was dealin with the shipping, all he needs to do is give me weight and all that so I can give it to Fastenal and get the shipping authorization.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks