• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 CUCV M1009 Decade after being wrecked.

swinters

Anyone know where to get the little metal PITA clips that hold the out door handle linkage to the door latch? I am going to find some somewhere. They are very hard to get undone. Unless they have a tool for doing it. Metal clips NOT plastic.
There's a place in Oregon that is the best I've found and if they don't have it they'll find it and then start stocking it. I first came across them when I was working in Egypt and restored a Turkish 56 Chevy. They shipped stuff to there and didn't bat an eye. My brother lives in Alaska and has trouble getting stuff shipped up there but no problem there either. My insurance agent and her husband are Chevy pickup "enthusiasts" (I usually call them nuts like me) and couldn't find several electrical parts for a 79 3/4 ton with the camper package they were restoring for their son but this place located them and started stocking them. LMC is great and I appreciate them but all too often they have 3/4 of what I need to do a job and then they're kinda proud of what they sell, at least a lot of their prices seem to show that.

https://www.fillingstation.com/index.htm

ssdvc

My guess is it is the same stuff that LMC offers just in different packaging. The same as the A C Delco parts being passed along as Genuine GM. Not the case. But since it is local vendor I will give it a try. I have 3 more M1009's to complete and then done. But I will be sure to report. What issues do you have with the knock off parts? The only one I ever had issues with was the cab to roof seal. Never fit right. I have been fortune enough to salvage a few genuine GM cab to top seals. How are things going with the M1009?
The 1009 is running well and still looking great. You did great work and it shows. I still haven't figured out the gas gauge, but time has been in short supply this summer. I will get to that and tightening up those belts a bit more over the new two or three weeks. I want to get with you about purchasing asset of double shocks mounts if you still have some extras, as well as a few other small parts. I will PM you.

cucvrus

DSCF5327.jpgI had this door stashed away partly because it was wrecked and it was not with a truck when I bought an M1009 years back this door was in the back cargo area. I thought wow a smashed door. Complete but smashed. It said "Fire Extinguisher inside". I sort of forgot about it till I was moving some parts around and cleaning up. I thought by darn I remembered I always wanted to get that fire extinguisher out of that door. Well a complete GM door is worth its weight in quarters these days. Rust free with one large dent. I went about stripping the door to look for the fire extinguisher. All these years and it was a prank. Oh well I will fix the door for a friend that needs one. I also stripped my M1009 doors out completely. Why not do it right and paint the entire doors. 3 are just as easy to paint as 2.

cucvrus

DSCF5324.jpgDSCF5325.jpgDSCF5328.jpgDSCF5329.jpgDSCF5330.jpgThe first picture shows why I remove all steering wheel chains and locks from any vehicle I have. I seen a lot of nice doors with chain marks in them from being slammed in the jam. One of you guys might own the truck this door came off of. An original VIN was on the sticker I used a Sharpie and wrote it on the door. That would be cool. It was a 1986 M1028 from PAANG. I would say it came from Indiantown Gap. I bought the M1009 at a GSA sale. Nice door. Glad I didn't waste it. Sort of forgot about it. It had the door panel and all. DSCF5326.jpgI stripped out the 2 M1009 doors as well today and attempted to mow grass again it started raining about 1/2 way thru. Oh well. Rest time long week ahead. Have a Great Week. More progress I hope.

cucvrus

Pictured on top is slip over trash rocker panel. Bottom is full rocker panel a whole $20.

DSCF5331.jpgAfter a few days or raining and storm clean up grass mowing and working I hit the shop for a few hours. Planned last night but poured rain and I felt the need to sleep while the power was off.
DSCF5332.jpgHave the inner welded on and outer fitted in place. At 90* I called it quits and went in for A/C therapy. EnoughDSCF5333.jpgDSCF5334.jpgDSCF5335.jpgDSCF5336.jpg for 1 night. It fits good and will be an easy finish in a few days. Some more brazing and the right side will be complete. First I must tack weld the rocker fast and fit the door to the rocker or vise versa. Have a Great Day. Thank you for looking.

cucvrus

DSCF5337.jpgDSCF5338.jpgDSCF5342.jpgI went and picked up my front axle. All new inner seals and pinion seal replaced. Cleaned it up and painted it. Moving in the right direction with this project. I have a few seals and parts to pick up for the axle. Today was a 3 shirt and 2 pants day. It was hot and humid again. I was working outside on the axle and it started raining again. Every day. DSCF5339.jpgDSCF5340.jpgDSCF5341.jpgDSCF5343.jpgI also welded/brazed the right rocker in place and put a coat of filler over the seams. Not done yet but almost. DSCF5344.jpgDSCF5345.jpgLooks pretty nice and the door fits great. The gap is even. The Right rocker says OEM. DSCF5346.jpgTaiwan ROC. Fine stuff. A C Delco replacement parts. Yes I am in slippers. Had to get my camera. Lost my phone down a storm drain while cleaning up flooded parking areas. I seen it go. Bye Bye.

Last edited:

cucvrus

When I look out my window
Many sights to see
And when I look in my window
So many different people to be
Then it's strange, so strange
You got to pick up every stitch.
Seems like it takes forever to get things done while you look at a massive project. But if this was my main focus I could roll quickly on my projects. And if I wanted to just complete it so it was complete I could go ever faster. But attention to detail is very important. It's the fine stitches that make the best finished suit. Same as vehicles. Painting is less then 1% of the job. And I could technically paint a pile of junk and make it look somewhat good from afar. But in the end it is far from good. Got to get back to the grind I think I may miss a stitch. I have struggled many times to make a slick purse out of a sows ear. But in the end. I had a sows ear that looked like a silk purse. Just can't polish a turd. Missing a few $5. seals and at a stand still. Lots of grass needs cut. Gotta run.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plumbers polish turds.....

and make them go away.......

Most people don't like poo or care about stitches.......

Good luck on your project.....got rocks to plow with new bicycle.

cucvrus

Plumbers polish turds.....

and make them go away.......

Most people don't like poo or care about stitches.......

Good luck on your project.....got rocks to plow with new bicycle.
Oh I know a lot of thread counters. They are all fine counting threads unless you start counting theirs. Then it all go down hill from there. And what is this bicycle reference all the time. Are you still thinking of my gang mower pulled by a bike?

cucvrus

DSCF5349.jpgDSCF5350.jpgDSCF5351.jpgDSCF5352.jpgThe right side is complete now. So all I have to do is repair a small area in the windshield pinch weld and the tub main super structure is complete and ready for sanding and primer. The weather has not been very cooperative. Raining , hot, and humid every day. Still getting things completed. I must get a few more seals and gaskets then the frame will be going back together. That should move along quickly. Everything is new and or painted. Tomorrow is my night off. I will resume Friday. Have a Great Day.

cucvrus

After another night of monsoon weather I opted to stay horizontal on the sofa and rest my eyelids. It was a very productive evening for the most part. My 10 M1009 wheels are ready to be picked up at the blaster Monday. That is pending no rain. I will be sealing and painting the wheels next week. Today I want to get the axles under the frame or at least get all the brackets reattached to the frame with all the brake and fuel tubing. I left everything on the bent frame to copy on the replacement. Seems easy. I am hoping for a good deal of progress today. Grass needs mowed again. Never ending. By this time most years in is dead and crunchy. Have a Great Day.

cucvrus

Sorry to report. Mosoon seasonagain. It will not let up. I can not work with high wind and rain blowing in on my project. It is to hot and humid with the doors shut. So horizontal therapy again. 50% of the grass cut and it began. Oh well. Maybe next time.

cucvrus

DSCF5353.jpgDSCF5354.jpgDSCF5355.jpgDSCF5356.jpgNo joy today as far as progress on my project. I woke to pouring rain and the water was in the basement again. Handled that and went outside to do some clean up work. Bad day if you were a 67 Mustang at my place. Never was going to get it done and was missing a lot of parts. Over 30 tire kickers came and went. The Sawzall does a great job recycling steel vehicles. I like it more then the torch. I also picked up a large box of 6.2 diesel parts from a friend that worked on them at the Gap. Small odds and ends he said were scrapped. Oh well I will take a look at them and sort them. In the second picture what is the difference between the 2 oil fills. The one has the tube like all CUCV's and the other has no tube. Notice I always carry a trenching shovel for water to get out of grassy areas. It is extremely wet here everywhere. Have a Great Day.

cucvrus

DSCF5359.jpgDSCF5358.jpgI picked up 11 M1009 wheels at the sandblaster today. I did not trust painting them outside today. It looked like rain. I will have to do something real soon. I have the fan on them. DSCF5360.jpgThe drivers door is fixed. It still needs finish putty but it is a very nice door. The edge was damaged a bit from the accident. DSCF5361.jpgDSCF5362.jpgI started to reassemble the front axle. Ran out of time but I did manage to get a good bit done tonight. Maybe tomorrow I can seal the wheels. $10. each to get them blasted I can't sand them for that. I guess I could. But they will look great after they are painted. New Goodyear Wrangler MTR's are next. I have to keep rolling on this project. It gets expensive at times. I still need a water pump, fuel pump and all the PS and oil cooler lines. I have the last GM Harrison plastic aluminum radiator to put in it. Thank you for looking. Have a Great Day.

cucvrus

DSCF5363.jpgDSCF5364.jpgDSCF5367.jpgDSCF5368.jpgI have 2 of the 3 doors ready for primer. The third door will be ready in a couple days. I still have the windshield pinch weld to do some work on. DSCF5365.jpgDSCF5369.jpgComplete the right side spindle, backing plate assembly. A little at a time. I feel like the only one posting. Another night of rain. It never stops. DSCF5366.jpgSo NO wheels were sealed and painted tonight. I still have the fan on them. Have a Great Day.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What good does the fan do, if air is that moist? Obviously the Bondo is hardening and sandable. We could use some of that rain.....not all of it though. Watching the reconstruction, one post at a time.

Merddin

What spray gun do you use to paint with? Any type or brand you prefer?
I just got a Binks 15 for $80. It has a new cup too! I have put it to work this last week.
Keep up the good work!

cucvrus

What good does the fan do, if air is that moist? Obviously the Bondo is hardening and sandable. We could use some of that rain.....not all of it though. Watching the reconstruction, one post at a time.
The fan is supposed to be keeping the wheels from sweating and dry. No problem with the filler drying. I don't use BONDO. I use Rage it is a much better product and sands and finishes much better. But what do I know? The barn is dry but humidity will rust sandblasted steel. I could see my finger prints in 10 minutes. As long as it is not scaling, flaking rust they are good to seal and paint after being washed down with some wax and grease remover. And I just buy a $20. Harbor Freight cup gun. My Devilbliss / Sharp / Mac / Snap-On guns cost more to clean in chemicals and time then the $20. HF gun. I never noticed any difference spraying this paint on these trucks. I like the results. Thank you for your support. If I can inspire a few people in a positive way I have met my goal. Today may be the day to get some wheels sealed. That is a 3 day process to get them sealed and both sides painted. Have a Great Day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks