• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 CUCV M1009 Decade after being wrecked.

cucvrus

DSCF5370.jpgDSCF5372.jpgDSCF5374.jpgDSCF5375.jpgTonight when I came home I had a busy schedule. It may not look like much got done. But I scuffed the wheels, blew them off, washed them and set them out so they could be sealed. I managed to get both sides sealed and that was about the extent of the evening. That was a slacking off evening. So I hung up a tie rod end with new tie rods on it and painted it black. Now I feel better. I got 2 things completed. Painted the wheels upside down first then flipped them and painted the top side. Allowing just enough time for the bottom side to get tacky. DSCF5371.jpgI have my guard chickens. DSCF5373.jpgAnd I have cordless burglar alarms. No guns needed. They work for bugs and a little crushed corn. Some are outside for 7 years all the time. Hope to get some flat black on the rims on Friday night. Family night tomorrow. Have a Great Day and be productive. I was a wee bit fearful of rain as I was setting up to paint the wheels. Never came. Just a bit of wind. helped dry the wheels quicker.

cucvrus

DSCF5377.jpgDSCF5378.jpgDSCF5379.jpgI spent the past 2 days painting wheels and reassembling the front axle. Besides working full days at my regular job. Started on Friday where I left off. I painted the bottom inside of all 11 wheels. Left them set till about 1 today when I came home from work and hit them on the face topside with 2 good coats. Everyone looks great. I worked on the windshield pinch weld and welded a few of the pin holes closed. The front axle is completely assembled with a pair of 1/4 turn Warn hubs. DSCF5376.jpgDSCF5380.jpgDSCF5381.jpgAs soon as the pinch weld is completely repaired. I want to prime the entire super structure body and wheel it back in the corner. It is to tight in the shop to do the frame assembly. I want to get that and the drive line all assembled. I remembered how much I love sealed wheel bearings today. I cleaned every part and painted it. I have rebuilt calipers and ceramic brake pads on the axle. I like it when the bins of parts start to get empty. I have a long way to go. Thank you for looking. Have a Great Day.

fitz

Cucvrus,
Quick question about tires.
I know on the Easter Find M1008 you went with the Goodyear Duratracs. Is there any reason you decided to go with the MTR's for the M1009?
Thanks.

cucvrus

It's gives it the look I desire. I had them on several CUCV's M1009's and an M1028. They are the look and traction I needed. I really like the Duratrack also. But I want the MTR. I was thinking about Firestone Destination MT also. Reminds me it is time to buy a set of tires for my project. Have a Great Day.

cucvrus

Last 2 days were not very progressive. I did travel and pick up the rebuilt transmission. It is original to the M1009. It has the last 8 of the VIN stamped in from the factory. I never looked at the engine to see if it has the correct date code in the block. I assume it does I had it since 3300 miles. No pictures tonight. I will post when I actually do something constructive. Gathering parts takes time and working 11 hour days takes the energy level down in 97* weather. I am back to driving the Big Red CUCV plow truck. Joy no A/C and screaming RPM's on I 78. Take care Have a Great Day.

cucvrus

Minor setback. Failure on my part. I had some issues with rain and humidity and in a rush to achieve a coat of paint on my 11 rims I had sand blasted I mixed the wrong hardener with my sealer and had a no dry condition. I tried to correct it and applied another coat of correct mixed sealer and thought that nailed it. I painted the black and set them out to dry. They seemed fine. But I wanted better. I sat them in the 100* sun and left them out all week. I noticed a slight wrinkle here and there yesterday. Today after a very hot in direct sunlight day I did the unthinkable. I dug my finger nail into the inner rim area and the paint was able to be pushed a bit. I mean it could move. The top coats were not adhering to the under coat. East fix. Back to the sand blaster with 5 of them. I will check the other 6 at a later date. I was in a hurry and fighting weather. I failed and am able to correct my failure. Cost me a little hard cash but still all in all. The tires are NOT mounted and the M1009 is NOT ready for the wheels or the tires. Back to work. Still moving in the right direction. Hope to show some progress soon. Have a Great Day.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everyone makes a mistake every now and then. If you don't? You aren't doing anything! LOL thanks for the heads up and I'm sure all will be fine!!

Merddin

Speaking of in a hurry. I was painting side covers for my 82 Kawasaki 750 a few years ago, and I wanted the paint to dry quickly so I could apply another coat. So I came up with the great idea of curing the paint in my oven at low temp. Not my best idea either. I ended up with deformed side covers with dry paint. Lesson learned. Luckily I was able to order another set for $75 bucks soon after.

cucvrus

After 5 inches of rain in 2 hours we had 4 ft of water in our chassis lot over near the storm drains. We had a weed whacker guy whacking weeds and when the rain started heavily it washed the grass and weeds over the storm grates and caused a lot of water back up. We used a CUCV plow truck and a John Deere 710C back hoe to get around and ferry drivers out to the truck chassis so they could be driven to higher ground. I am a bit tired but still managed to get the windshield pinch weld all finished and ready for primer. I want to clean my shop up and get the entire tub/super structure primed and wheeled back in the corner so I can get the frame reassembled. Mother nature is keeping me busy this year. I am having a taping and paper party over the weekend. Stop by and bring a sharp eye. I am chopping at the bit to get rolling on this project. Just been a busy season. I think it will fall together once I get rolling. All the body work is done now. I have straight pre-edge painted fenders in my back room. I need to get a hood sanded but that will be easy. Thank you for looking, I hope to get a few pictures.

cucvrus

DSCF5382.jpgDuring the week the Wife said hey will you paint a door for me. I thought she meant she wanted to help me get some CUCV doors painted. Stupid me. I painted a door for her. It was not the door I had in mind but non the less a door. Color was her choice. It looks great now back on the house. Best part is yet to come. Now she wants the inlays painted a different color. Joy. Have a Great Day. I am out working on my project now. No rain today but very hot and humid. Or maybe it is just the humidity. I will report back later. With pictures.

cucvrus

DSCF5385.jpgDSCF5383.jpgDSCF5384.jpgThe windshield pinch weld is all ready to get primed, sealed and painted. DSCF5387.jpgDSCF5388.jpgYou ever go to tape up anything and the tape fails to adhere. This flat paint is bad for that. Add 30 years of dirt and dust and it will not stick. Above are the dusty dirty A pillar and dash area before I washed them and cleaned them. DSCF5389.jpgDSCF5390.jpgThis after being washed well with a wax and grease remover. Also dry it with a clean dry cloth. Tape sticks like it is supposed to now. DSCF5391.jpgDSCF5392.jpgDSCF5393.jpgI had a few friends stop over and harass me about working all the time and teasing me about having these old trucks. I was under the truck trying to get a broken bolt out of the left 1/4 panel. It holds a filler panel in place. 2 of the guys were body men and they were saying why are you worried about that old bolt. It has 2 more to hold it. I said I enjoyed the challenge. They teased and said I would never get it out. I should go have a few beers with them. I got it out and they left. I didn't go have any beers with them. I quit drinking a few years back. No need to go hang at the clubs. Have a Great Day. I am having a taping party tomorrow. They are coming back to help me. We will see. Thanks for looking. I want to go around and double check all my sanding in the jams again. They are just as important as the outer panels for proper adhesion.

cucvrus

DSCF5394.jpgDSCF5395.jpgDSCF5396.jpgDSCF5397.jpgDSCF5398.jpgDSCF5399.jpgGood thing I didn't go out with the young pumpkin heads last night for a beer. Their Wives were here looking for them at 12:45 AM. They said I was driving and figured they could get me involved. Needless to say I stayed home. No dram needed for this old man. And managed to get the M1009 all taped up and ready for primer, sealer and edge painting. I need to get it buttoned up so I can roll it back up in the corner and get on with the frame and drive line. A little break today for the holiday. But I have lots of other things going so all is well. Oh yea. Give credit to my Wife, Mother in Law and a friend for the tape up. Painting the inside A pillars always makes it easier for taping up. Besides they needed a bit of touch up. It also eliminates taping the door openings and windshield holes closed. PITA. Once again I washed and dried all the tape contact areas with wax and grease remover. Thank you for looking. Enjoy the Holiday. Be back at work before I know it. The Wives thought I was in on the hoax because they called my cell phone and it went right to voice mail. My phone is still in the Chesapeake Bay. Never did get around to getting a replacement. The peace is seral.

cucvrus

I always start with a strip of 1" and move up from there to the 2". I prefer to get precise in the corners and edges with the 1". A little hard to be accurate and precise with 2" tape. I like the plastic mask because it comes in 99" wide and is very handy when it comes to covering large open areas. But I use sheets, blankets, blankets, tarps, whatever. I had a local hotel that had a pile of bed spreads laying in the lobby during remodeling. They were all folded and washed. They were going to throw them out. I used them for many years to cover projects , motorcycles, tractors. and parts. Whatever I did not want CARC/paint over spray on. Today is Labor Day. Time for me to do some laboring. I have a shed I am fixing up and need to get completed so I have a nice clean confined area to store the motor scooters in for the winter. I am going to be using dura plate. Awesome stuff. Most versatile product I ever used. Have a Great Holiday. Do whatever it is you do for fun. Mow grass, cut/split wood, pull an engine. Whatever. Just enjoy doing it. It's a simple task.

cucvrus

Dura plate is a steel panel that has polyethylene between the 2 sheets. It is very useful and versatile. Just Google Wabash Duraplate. They manufacture it and that is the company I work for.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks