• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV M998 Hub Washer Wear

happycamper

After checking and properly torquing my hubs (35#, spin 5x, 5x, 25# and lock) I noticed after a 75 mile highway trip my rear right was slightly warm to the touch whereas my others were ambient temperature. Not hot by any means, just 5-10 degrees warmer than ambient. I disassembled and saw the keyed washer had groves worn on the outside edge of the that sits against the bearing.
IMG_4918.jpg
Note that this hub nut was loose upon original inspection.
Thoughts on if this produced the heat? It's likely I didn't inspect it the first time in detail. Possible my torque wrench was incorrect? New washer is on the way, just want to know if I should check something else. I thought I read somewhere about plastic spacer shims sometimes installed, but I had none, maybe that was just the input seal.

Last edited:

happycamper

Update: my torque wrench was off calibration, so I probably ran it 75 miles over torqued.
Re-serviced and torqued to low end, and even only 18# when it still heats up.
After 22 miles left side hubs are 90-95 degrees. Right side hubs are 110-120 degrees (77 ambient). Running Lucas hub oil as well.
Bearings looked ok on inspections, but since I have no other ideas I will be swapping them out. Will update after that is complete. Any other ideas welcome.

happycamper

Well I finally had the hubs rebuilt - looks like the bearings were slightly damaged. With the new spindle bearings and little adjustment on the drive bearing load they match the others in temperature. Note: Lucas Gear Oil is horribly difficult to wash out of hubs. I sweat that stuff must actually contain honey, I even had ants getting into a used bottle of it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks