• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yearly Tow Plans for your FMTV and other vehicles

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm tempted to have mine towed just to see if they will do it. Whenever I have called AAA in the past (for a regular vehicle) they don't ask many questions. I have the AAA for RVs, and I just figured that if I needed it I would tell them it was a 4x4 RV. As long as he shows up with a big enough wrecker, the tow truck operator isn't going to care.

dbeasty

Yeah, I was broke, and AAA refused the coverage in WA. They asked for the make and after that for weight. They would call for me a support, but would come out of my pocket. I do have AAA RV coverage..

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I was broke, and AAA refused the coverage in WA. They asked for the make and after that for weight. They would call for me a support, but would come out of my pocket. I do have AAA RV coverage..
Most tow coverage is on a reimbursement basis, i.e. you pay and then they'll pay you back (if you're covered).

coachgeo

Again it is regional. Example if your AAA agreed to a policy..... and then your inside another region when you need a tow.... their region does not have abide by decisions of another region. So your screwed. Beside..... in general..... they love to take money.... and love to NOT let go of it to pay for tow.

Am consider searching out commercial tow package like that used by owners of big rig over the road trucks. Spendy compared to say AAA and the likes..... but not much. Found some with 50mile tows.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Am consider searching out commercial tow package like that used by owners of big rig over the road trucks. Spendy compared to say AAA and the likes..... but not much. Found some with 50mile tows.
If you find some good candidates, please share.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Again it is regional. Example if your AAA agreed to a policy..... and then your inside another region when you need a tow.... their region does not have abide by decisions of another region. So your screwed. Beside..... in general..... they love to take money.... and love to NOT let go of it to pay for tow.

I don't think your going to find much in commercial road service. Most fleets have service agreements with the heavy tow companies in the areas they service and most owner operators have it towed to the closest shop and get it fixed.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry but I'm going to call BS on this one. Having worked for a national insurance company I can tell you that if you have something on your policy they can't deny it just because you're in a different part of the country. If you have verifiable proof of this happening (and I'm not talking about anecdotal stories of your cousins brother-in-laws hairdresser said...) I'd be happy to offer my knowledge and experience fighting it for you. All insurance companies have a fiduciary obligation to handle your loss. Now if for some reason you don't have coverage, i.e. your policy lapsed, you're driving a different vehicle, you told them you have a Jeep when in fact it's a Kaiser-Jeep M35 and doesn't meet the definition of a "vehicle" under the policy, or a variety of other reasons for the claim to be DENIED due to your fault (which includes not reading the policy to know what's covered), then yes they can deny COVERAGE. They cannot deny it simply because you're in NV and the policy was written in OH.

As a claims adjuster it was my job to FIND COVERAGE for a claim not look for reasons to DENY it. Insurance companies make enough money doing things the right way that they don't have to open themselves up to lawsuits for intentionally trying to screw people over, especially for something as inconsequential as a Tow claim.

coachgeo

Sorry but I'm going to call BS on this one. Having worked for a national insurance company I can tell you that if you have something on your policy they can't deny it just because you're in a different part of the country. If you have verifiable proof of this happening (and I'm not talking about anecdotal stories of your cousins brother-in-laws hairdresser said...) I'd be happy to offer my knowledge and experience fighting it for you. All insurance companies have a fiduciary obligation to handle your loss. Now if for some reason you don't have coverage, i.e. your policy lapsed, you're driving a different vehicle, you told them you have a Jeep when in fact it's a Kaiser-Jeep M35 and doesn't meet the definition of a "vehicle" under the policy, or a variety of other reasons for the claim to be DENIED due to your fault (which includes not reading the policy to know what's covered), then yes they can deny COVERAGE. They cannot deny it simply because you're in NV and the policy was written in OH.

As a claims adjuster it was my job to FIND COVERAGE for a claim not look for reasons to DENY it. Insurance companies make enough money doing things the right way that they don't have to open themselves up to lawsuits for intentionally trying to screw people over, especially for something as inconsequential as a Tow claim.
happens all the time..... has happened to me many times with AAA..... there is always an excuse they won't cover it...... there is always a.... "ohhhhh.... well you have wrong policy.."... oh well yes you have RV coverage butttttt.... your truck is not an RV..... you need this other coverage instead cause we have redefined RV and your motorcycle, atv or ??? is no longer a recreational item.... sorrryyyyy.

We don't have lawyers in our pockets or access to knowledgeable folk as yourself. Just want a policy where the insurer is truthful and stands by their product.

Last edited by a moderator:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
happens all the time..... has happened to me many times with AAA..... there is always an excuse they won't cover it...... there is always a.... "ohhhhh.... well you have wrong policy.."... oh well yes you have RV coverage butttttt.... your truck is not an RV..... you need this other coverage instead cause we have redefined RV and your motorcycle, atv or ??? is no longer a recreational item.... sorrryyyyy.

We don't have lawyers in our pockets or access to knowledgeable folk as yourself. Just want a policy where the insurer is truthful and stands by their product. ......
Again, read your policy and anything you don't understand, ask.

Last edited by a moderator:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter

We don't have lawyers in our pockets or access to knowledgeable folk as yourself. Just want a policy where the insurer is truthful and stands by their product.
If you can't understand your policy have your lawyer look it over before you sign it , it is up to you to know whats covered . If you't don't want to spend the money on a lawyer to protect your interest don't complain because the insuror does.
You seem to expect full coverage towing on a commercial class truck at passenger car rates. Just go in and tell them you want towing coverage on a Class 6,7,8 or 9 truck
(whatever the GVWR is for the truck your insuring including any trailer coverage you want ). Just because you altered the box to claim it is a RV and your state will register it as a RV , the insurance companies still look at it as a Class 6 or 7 truck and that is what you need to cover.

Attachments

Last edited:

dbeasty

Good points about the policy and reimbursments ( Next time I will try the re-imbrusment route, nothing to loose..). I did read the policy and to me it seems the AAA policy has a paragraph that explicitly excludes the "non RV" LMTVs from the policy. The queote follows:

"Box vans, cube vans, trailers with more than 2 axles, van or truck cutaways, taxicabs, limousines, shuttle vehicles, hearses, emergency responder vehicles, commercially configured vehicles including but not limited to: flatbeds, landscaping vehicles, vehicles that are larger than a 2 ton load capacity, dump trucks, school buses (including RV conversions), corporate fleet vehicles, vehicles used for competition and vehicles with a snow plow attachment are not covered by AAA emergency road service."

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good points about the policy and reimbursments ( Next time I will try the re-imbrusment route, nothing to loose..). I did read the policy and to me it seems the AAA policy has a paragraph that explicitly excludes the "non RV" LMTVs from the policy. The queote follows:
"Box vans, cube vans, trailers with more than 2 axles, van or truck cutaways, taxicabs, limousines, shuttle vehicles, hearses, emergency responder vehicles, commercially configured vehicles including but not limited to: flatbeds, landscaping vehicles, vehicles that are larger than a 2 ton load capacity, dump trucks, school buses (including RV conversions), corporate fleet vehicles, vehicles used for competition and vehicles with a snow plow attachment are not covered by AAA emergency road service."
You're correct in that they appear to exclude these vehicles even if they've been converted to a RV configuration (absolutely in the case of school buses but they'd likely point to the other examples in the case of a LMTV). Two of the most important things in the policy to review are (these things are typically in bold in the policy) the DEFINITIONS, especially as it applies to "Your Insured Vehicle," and the EXCLUSIONS (which is likely where the above paragraph came from). Those 2 areas cover most of the things a claim can be denied over. Don't trust an insurance agent because they're trained to sell you a policy not interpret a policy and how it applies specifically to your vehicle.

An insurance policy is a contract and when you pay for it you become party to that contract and it's conditions and limitations. Someone stating they didn't read or understand the contract (and I'm not talking about dbeasty just people in general) is not a defense when a claim is denied. There are policies out there that cover towing on a LMTV. You can see my thread starting on page 70 about my experience: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?152882-Working-on-the-M1078-LMTV/page70

coachgeo

....An insurance policy is a contract and when you pay for it you become party to that contract and it's conditions and limitations. Someone stating they didn't read or understand the contract (and I'm not talking about dbeasty just people in general) is not a defense when a claim is denied. There are policies out there that cover towing on a LMTV. You can see my thread starting on page 70 about my experience: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?152882-Working-on-the-M1078-LMTV/page70
you don't get copy of contract till you pay for it. contract most always also says..... definitions can be changed at their will and they change them at their will often.

if sales person is given a description of your vehicle and they sell you a contract that does not actually cover said vehicle... that's fraud. Maybe not legal fraud...... but still fraud. It is sad that our world hides behind lawyers.... but that is a different topic and Don't want this topic to digress and get closed.

Lets just stick with possible tow coverage companies. In round about way thru the pages found Mkcoen used/uses? CHUBB collectors with tow as part of the policy (or was it a tow policy only?? hard to tell by the info. presented)

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you don't get copy of contract till you pay for it. contract most always also says..... definitions can be changed at their will and they change them at their will often.

if sales person is given a description of your vehicle and they sell you a contract that does not actually cover said vehicle... that's fraud. Maybe not legal fraud...... but still fraud. It is sad that our world hides behind lawyers.... but that is a different topic and Don't want this topic to digress and get closed.

Lets just stick with possible tow coverage companies. In round about way thru the pages found Mkcoen used/uses? CHUBB collectors with tow as part of the policy (or was it a tow policy only?? hard to tell by the info. presented)
Refer to post #31 and go in and tell them you want towing for a Class 6,7 or 8 truck with a box on ( how you remodel the box is irrelevant S & S didn't build RV's ) .
If you misrepresent your truck to them that is on you ,not them . And if you request a copy of the policy BEFORE you sign they have to provide it, if your to cheap to pay a lawyer for a hour to go over it that's on you not the insurance company .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks