• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936 not shifting out of first

Mrsbryner

Yes I understand that. We’re not idiots! This is the second time this has happened since having the truck for the last 5 years! It did not do it when we originally bought it. My husband is a hard worker and has been out there with the guy every day and night and doing tons of research on this to make it right. We’re not just throwing the keys to this guy and lettiing him drive off in it. But you definitely had no right to set there and say we are just trying to make a quick buck! This truck never had any issues until recently! We thought had it fixed based off other information we were given at the time it started doing it.

74M35A2

It is OK to try and make a quick buck. Most all of us here try it nearly every chance we get.

Guy pulled a loan to buy your truck, now has cash in hand, and it doesn’t shift right. Your move.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes I understand that. We’re not idiots! This is the second time this has happened since having the truck for the last 5 years! It did not do it when we originally bought it. My husband is a hard worker and has been out there with the guy every day and night and doing tons of research on this to make it right. We’re not just throwing the keys to this guy and lettiing him drive off in it. But you definitely had no right to set there and say we are just trying to make a quick buck! This truck never had any issues until recently! We thought had it fixed based off other information we were given at the time it started doing it.
Well your sure acting like one. Your on a forum with some of the knowledgeable people there are for MV's. Who have been trying to help the OP with a problem he can't figure out and you and your husband have no clue how to fix either.
You have had for five years do you have Technical manuals for it ?

162tcat

I’m glad you do service calls! Happy for you!
You know, there's a ton of knowledge on here. If you came on here and asked for some assistance, it would probably be repaired before dinner. Instead you come on here and fight everybody and will probably lose your sale since you guys don't seem to know how to fix it. Good luck with everything.

To the OP, maybe check and see if some members have a fully functional truck for sale and would be willing to educate you as part of the purchase?

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

Mrsbryner

Well your sure acting like one. Your on a forum with some of the knowledgeable people there are for MV's. Who have been trying to help the OP with a problem he can't figure out and you and your husband have no clue how to fix either.
You have had for five years do you have Technical manuals for it ?
You say you all are people with the most knowledge but yet no one has yet to come up with a solution or tried to help! Most are talking crap! Everything mentioned is stuff we have already checked! We drove the truck before the guy even went and took the Loan out and he was out here and we started it up and everything days before he went to the bank to get the loan. We have done numerous hours worth of research and as a matter of fact my husband is outside right now working on it. So what do you think the issue is? I have yet to read anything you have to say! My husband drove it the day before yesterday and everything was fine no issues, they both drove it yesterday down the road and it was fine until they went to turn around and come back. My husband is a mechanic for a living and has been for the last 15 years! He is very good at what he does and this has him stumped! I just don’t think it’s right for people to talk **** without known the whole situation! Everyone’s a bad ass behind a phone!

Mrsbryner

There was questions on here for suggestions and yet hardly anyone has helped! People just saying we are trying to make a quick buck and that the truck is not fully fuctional. I’m not trying to fight with people but I don’t appreciate people automatically talking **** on people! We have legitimately been doing everything we can to get this issue fixed so the guy can have a good working truck. He knows that.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You say you all are people with the most knowledge but yet no one has yet to come up with a solution or tried to help! Most are talking crap! Everything mentioned is stuff we have already checked! We drove the truck before the guy even went and took the Loan out and he was out here and we started it up and everything days before he went to the bank to get the loan. We have done numerous hours worth of research and as a matter of fact my husband is outside right now working on it. So what do you think the issue is? I have yet to read anything you have to say! My husband drove it the day before yesterday and everything was fine no issues, they both drove it yesterday down the road and it was fine until they went to turn around and come back. My husband is a mechanic for a living and has been for the last 15 years! He is very good at what he does and this has him stumped! I just don’t think it’s right for people to talk **** without known the whole situation! Everyone’s a bad *** behind a phone!
People were willing to help the OP with the limited information he provided , I would guess the more you post the less chances are that it will happen now .
So you never answered the question do you have TM's for it?

Edit: And this is a family site .

74M35A2

Well, if you already tried all we suggested, and it still is not working, then the transmission is probably lunched. Even if it magically started working again, I would not buy it. Your potential buyer asked for our advice, and that is mine. No reason to break friendships over him with it, but at the same time, I hope you don’t still expect him to pay your initial agreed upon price now that the situation is not as initially presented, right?

162tcat

There was questions on here for suggestions and yet hardly anyone has helped! People just saying we are trying to make a quick buck and that the truck is not fully fuctional. I’m not trying to fight with people but I don’t appreciate people automatically talking **** on people! We have legitimately been doing everything we can to get this issue fixed so the guy can have a good working truck. He knows that.

Yeah! It took 4 hours to come up with the responses below? Unacceptable. I'd ask for a refund (to this free site full of information and a search feature?) I'd be almost as mad as the guy who went to buy a running and driving truck just to find out it has current (and past) transmission problems.

"Did you try shifting through gears manually?"

"I can't think of a way for CTIS to interfere with the transmission.
Presume you have a transmission problem. I'd have thought maybe the fluid was cold, but you said you got it warm so that rules that out.
The wreckers are heavy, and go through transmissions faster than the cargo variants."

"Put transfer case in low range and see if it will shift thru the gears. If it does then you have a pressure problem. So its internal transmission.
Check the modulator cable to ensure it is not broken or the spring came apart."

"Spring is inside the modulator base on the transmission...you simply replace the whole unit."

"Kinda basic, but make sure the PTO is not engaged. When I picked up my wrecker at the base, the PTO was engaged and I couldn't go faster than 15mph. Took a few minutes of checking everything to find it and take it out of PTO, then it would drive normally."

"Take note, the front winch pto and the crane pto are separate controls. The crane pto lever is on the floor, left side of the drivers seat. Sounds like the crane pto is engaged. Reference the operators hand book (-10).
It is a tricky sequence of control manipulation."

Last edited:

Mrsbryner

People were willing to help the OP with the limited information he provided , I would guess the more you post the less chances are that it will happen now .
So you never answered the question do you have TM's for it?

Edit: And this is a family site .
Everyone is so quick to judge before getting every piece of information. I just don’t like people talking crap on my husband. No I do not believe we have any of the TM’s for it. We would love to know what the issue is so we can get it fixed. I mean if we can’t the truck is no good to us either.

74M35A2

In any situation where this commonly happens, the price is then further reduced by the cost of a good used replacement transmission and the labor to install it. Not a big deal. Common business transaction.

74M35A2

Everyone is so quick to judge before getting every piece of information. I just don’t like people talking crap on my husband. No I do not believe we have any of the TM’s for it. We would love to know what the issue is so we can get it fixed. I mean if we can’t the truck is no good to us either.
Nice post. Welcome to the site.

Pull on the trans modulator cable at the throttle lever on the injection pump and see if it has spring tension against it and snaps back when released. Flood this tube with WD/40 and a straw while doing so.

Also check the adjustment position of the cable. Start in the middle if need be, go from there.

Post back your findings.

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well fellas, the OP asked and as always, the SS members offered up some good info and trouble shooting. Its is his court
now. Maybe he buys it, then we can assist him with the fix. Then again, maybe referencing the appropriate tech manuals
will ensure the vehicle is operated and/or repaired in accordance with the correct data. -you guys are some of the most knowlwgable gear heads I know.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the TM's have great troubleshooting guides in them and can be downloaded for free . If you never read the operators manual (-10) there's a good chance that's why the truck is now broke.

sandcobra164

Mrsbryner,
I don't see people talking trash. Maybe the one comment about auction stickers but we're all adults, you don't need to respond in anger to every comment you don't agree with. Just because it's on the internet does not make it true. However, I see solid advice being given. Nobody is doubting your husbands ability to repair mechanical issues or talking trash about those abilities. They've offered advice as to what they would check and advising to use the technical manuals to assist in troubleshooting. They are also advising the thread starter to consider another truck without known transmission issues or consider asking you and your husband to lower the asking price by the cost of a good take out transmission and labor to swap. I don't think any of that is out of line. If the transmission won't shift through the gears, I would consider it to be bad or questionable at best. Personally, I would walk away from the truck if no price reduction could be agreed upon even if it shifted 1-5 tomorrow with no issues. Something went amiss and considering the age of the truck, it will go amiss again soon. Even driving it around while troubleshooting it could have caused unknown damage. I wouldn't trust it and replacing it would be my first priority. I have no dog in the fight as I don't know the thread starter and I live several states over. I respect most of the people you have responded harshly to because I do know them and they do offer knowledge, insight and help to members who own this big green iron.

Best Regards,
Joseph

K5Cruz

Well, that took an unexpected turn. The help from both sides of this purchase has been great. The forum was quick with replies other than the old "Read the TMs" and the sellers have been out in the cold trying to troubleshoot the problem. A problem that was voluntarily noted during my initial inspection.

Easy now! I have issue with people buying, driving and selling a huge price of equipment that can kill people when they know very little about it and how to operate it safely. Based on the info so far, you both don't seem to know much about it. Second, this guy is getting a loan to buy this piece of equipment (bad idea in my opinion) so I'd hate to see him buy something that has known issues and get hosed. Best thing you can do is get to know the piece of equipment your selling for your (and the buyers!) Safety.

The military doesn't just throw the soldiers the keys and say good luck.

Commercial drivers don't just jump in a semi without training and hit the road.

All I'm saying is get informed so nobody gets hurt and gives us all bad name!

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk
I hardly think Allison transmission diagnosis and repair falls under safe operation of any MV and is likely outside of any basic soldier driving or commercial driver training. Assuming that people who are not collectors are dangers to the hobby is painting with a broad brush. I'm not sure how anything here is considered unsafe. I was not advised to operate the rear winch while dangling from the crane. I was presented with a transmission shifting issue. While you're quick to be critical you've offered zero technical advice. I'm here to assure you that while I may not have rebuilt any MT654CR Allisons in my day I have been employed as both a wrecker operator and a heavy equipment operator.

sandcobra164

Well, that took an unexpected turn. The help from both sides of this purchase has been great. The forum was quick with replies other than the old "Read the TMs" and the sellers have been out in the cold trying to troubleshoot the problem. A problem that was voluntarily noted during my initial inspection.

I hardly think Allison transmission diagnosis and repair falls under safe operation of any MV and is likely outside of any basic soldier driving or commercial driver training. Assuming that people who are not collectors are dangers to the hobby is painting with a broad brush. I'm not sure how anything here is considered unsafe. I was not advised to operate the rear winch while dangling from the crane. I was presented with a transmission shifting issue. While you're quick to be critical you've offered zero technical advice. I'm here to assure you that while I may not have rebuilt any MT654CR Allisons in my day I have been employed as both a wrecker operator and a heavy equipment operator.
You are correct. You will not find mechanic level troubleshooting in the operator's level technical manual. There are many manuals available for this series of trucks available to download on this site. A quick breakdown of the numbering system. If at the end of the numbers, you see a -10, that's operator level. If you see a -20, 20&P, 34 or 34&P, those are the mechanics manuals. The &P indicates a parts manual which lists national stock numbers for parts which for the most part only the military parts system recognizes and some also have commercially available parts numbers. We're here to help. You're not the first person to look an M936A2 Wrecker, some of us have owned them too.

Respectfully,
Joseph

Attachments

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Well the -10 doesn't offer troubleshooting it , it offers proper operating techniques for safety and to prevent damage. You don't take a driver that only drove a F-350 with a wheel lift and put him in a Kenworth with a rotator without training. The military likes specing thing out that are not normal on civy trucks , take the lockout to prevent shifting into reverse on the M939 siries trucks because of a known problem with them spliting transfer cases. Or the spring brake override you won't find on a civy truck .
For a mechanic to have a truck for 5 years without any manuals really raises red flags , like where did he get torque specs for repairs ect.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks