• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1/2" air line

rustystud

Well I finally added the 1/2" rear air line to the deuce. Now I can use my 1" impact gun to bust the lug nuts off. I've been meaning to do this for a few years now, but it always seemed to get put on the back burner. So today I just did it. The air line is a 5/8" DOT poly hose to my rear mounted auxiliary 30 gallon tank, then it goes to my "quick-connect" brass fitting. You can see it here next to my rear tail light.

005.jpg

ThinkBig

Well I finally added the 1/2" rear air line to the deuce. Now I can use my 1" impact gun to bust the lug nuts off. I've been meaning to do this for a few years now, but it always seemed to get put on the back burner. So today I just did it. The air line is a 5/8" DOT poly hose to my rear mounted auxiliary 30 gallon tank, then it goes to my "quick-connect" brass fitting. You can see it here next to my rear tail light.

View attachment 715660

I always look look forward to your posts!
My main air compressor (in the garage) unexpectedly died yesterday. We were in the process of getting 8 new inches of the white cold stuff and it left me with an emergency. 3 kids and empty snow tubes! When they all asked me “what now dad?” I said “lucky we have a deuce”. My ole truck saved the day!

Anyway, I was pondering doing this myself and adding an auxiliary tank, for just such an occasion, or real roadside repair. Given the air over hydraulic brake system, I was thinking that there should possibly be separate circuits that are isolated with some sort of check valve in case a line gets snagged, chafed or melted.
Then if something happens that leads to rapid air loss, you still have a chance of keeping your brakes operational. I would like to do air seats someday too. I would hate to loose brakes because my sons ice skate somehow gets jammed somewhere it wasn’t supposed to be.

Brakes on one circuit, fun trinkets on another.

Am I looking too deep into it? What are your thoughts? Did you just plumb it in series? I would think an auxiliary tank with a check valve would be fairly easy to adapt. I’d love to see more pics! Your work is always very thought out and top notch. I’m not in anyway, shape or form questioning you. These were just some thoughts I’ve had and this is a perfect thread to pick your brain.

rustystud

I always look look forward to your posts!
My main air compressor (in the garage) unexpectedly died yesterday. We were in the process of getting 8 new inches of the white cold stuff and it left me with an emergency. 3 kids and empty snow tubes! When they all asked me “what now dad?” I said “lucky we have a deuce”. My ole truck saved the day!

Anyway, I was pondering doing this myself and adding an auxiliary tank, for just such an occasion, or real roadside repair. Given the air over hydraulic brake system, I was thinking that there should possibly be separate circuits that are isolated with some sort of check valve in case a line gets snagged, chafed or melted.
Then if something happens that leads to rapid air loss, you still have a chance of keeping your brakes operational. I would like to do air seats someday too. I would hate to loose brakes because my sons ice skate somehow gets jammed somewhere it wasn’t supposed to be.

Brakes on one circuit, fun trinkets on another.

Am I looking too deep into it? What are your thoughts? Did you just plumb it in series? I would think an auxiliary tank with a check valve would be fairly easy to adapt. I’d love to see more pics! Your work is always very thought out and top notch. I’m not in anyway, shape or form questioning you. These were just some thoughts I’ve had and this is a perfect thread to pick your brain.
Your question is actually spot on. On all big rigs and buses they have an "isolater" between circuits. Basically a one-way check valve. This effectively isolates whatever tanks you want. For instance, all buses use a separate air tank just to operate the doors. When you have three doors with rather large air motors opening and closing all day long you use a lot of air, but you never want to use your brake air. So separate air tanks, but all filled from one compressor. That is what I did. I have added three extra air tanks to my deuce. The latest is the 30 gallon one I mounted in the rear of the deuce. That air tanks sole purpose is to run my impact wrenches and apply air to my M105 trailer. So I keep it isolated from the rest.

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 715660
Nice, looks like I found my next mod!