• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Safest way to uses a MEP 804b as a backup generator

jarmagno

This is my first post on a forum....
What is the safest way to use a MEP 804b as a whole house generator? I have seen the Generlink transfer switches, which allow the main panel to remain as is, but they don't work with 3 phase generators. What are people using?
Joe

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The safest way is to use a double ended transfer switch. That makes sure you can't export power to the grid while you are on generator power.

Since the 804 is a 3 phase only generator you'll be limited to 2/3rds capacity max.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That has been discussed a number of times. The short version is - If you are doing backup emergency power don't worry about it. You aren't going to run the unit long enough to matter.

BUT - If you are off grid its not the right generator for the job. BUT BUT if you are off grid why not wire your setup for 3 phase, then its the right generator. ;)

Guyfang

Staff member
Chris, could not have said it better. The world will NOT end if you run an unbalanced load for a week or two, or even longer. All year long? then get the house set up for 3 phase power and be done with it.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good point on the duration of run. I have stayed away from the 804s because I didn't see much value to the homeowner/small business segment (all single phase requirement). Maybe I should reconsider, with the caveat known.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have seen it done and it does work. But you only have around 2/3 capacity of the generator. So you are back to running a 10k basically, just with a higher fuel draw.

Guyfang

Staff member
I have seen it done and it does work. But you only have around 2/3 capacity of the generator. So you are back to running a 10k basically, just with a higher fuel draw.
It would be interesting, when you have a 3 phase setup. Or a house, barn, shop and that kind of thing.

Triple Jim

It's possible to use one or more transformers to convert from three phase to single phase. You can find a lot of information about it with a search for "three phase to single phase transformer" or something similar.

But I would think that the 804 would be more than adequate for a whole house when using only 2/3 of it, unless you have a lot of electric heating requirements.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's possible to use one or more transformers to convert from three phase to single phase. You can find a lot of information about it with a search for "three phase to single phase transformer" or something similar.

But I would think that the 804 would be more than adequate for a whole house when using only 2/3 of it, unless you have a lot of electric heating requirements.
The phase converters cost almost as much as the generator.

Agreed that 2/3 of an MEP804 is plenty for a house. The difference in fuel consumption compared to an 803 is the issue. For occasional use, I don't think it is a big deal.

CMPPhil

Hi

Question, will 220 volt motors be happy running on 2 legs of 3 phase? I'm thinking of well pumps.

Cheers Phil

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The safest way is to use a double ended transfer switch. That makes sure you can't export power to the grid while you are on generator power.

Since the 804 is a 3 phase only generator you'll be limited to 2/3rds capacity max.
IMG_2007[1].jpgIMG_2008[1].jpg

This is the switch Chris was refering to, you can see the load (house) is the center poles, the bottom post (power company), top posts (generator). With this switch there is no way to get power from the genny to line, unless there is major ground issues.

If you have not read this thread, would be good reading.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?167498-Wife-is-now-a-green-iron-believer/page2

Also grounding grounding grounding, proper grounding is something that I have seen alot of times overlooked, dont know, or just lazy. Grounding is the safety that keeps the angry pixies from going thru you to the ground if something goes wrong.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi

Question, will 220 volt motors be happy running on 2 legs of 3 phase? I'm thinking of well pumps.

Cheers Phil
I have had no issues running 208 to a 240v water well, BUT it is a gamble. Our water well repair shop says the well motors are rated 240 +/- 10% for warranty issues, so 208 is outside the 10% but just a little bit for warranty. How would warranty know the difference between a brown out and 208 from a genny? unknown, except for honesty.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah most devices unless specifically listing auto switching voltage (100-240 (50/60hz) are only good for a +/-10% swing.

LEOK

Since this is turbo unit It will be interesting to see, let's say the average load works out at 7k will there really be a big difference?

The phase converters cost almost as much as the generator.

Agreed that 2/3 of an MEP804 is plenty for a house. The difference in fuel consumption compared to an 803 is the issue. For occasional use, I don't think it is a big deal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks