Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: AcuTemp Refrigerator

Thanks

I called Acutemp (I'm in the Military) , and asked tech support. White is hot, Black is ground.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Magilla For This Useful Post:

Aussie Bloke (02-15-2018), DieselAddict (02-15-2018), rustystud (02-16-2018)

4 Star General
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,360 Times in 799 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Magilla View Post
    I called Acutemp (I'm in the Military) , and asked tech support. White is hot, Black is ground.
    Outstanding!
    Chris Medico
    MEP-003a (sold), MEP-803a, MEP-802a, & MEP-831a

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 811 Posts

Very cool Rusty!! I want one now ;P

It sounds like it will freeze water, or does it need to already be frozen? (no, I haven't read the whole manual yet)

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bloke View Post
    I have just had a look at the pictures you posted now I am home on my big laptop, Looks like a 40ltr fridge/freezer.

Aussie.
    According to the Operations manual, its Payload volume is 2 cubic feet, or 56.6 liters.
    NSN 4110-01-506-0895
    Section 1-3, PDF page 8
    https://www.steelsoldiers.com/upload...ns_5_13_05.pdf

Service Manual:
    https://www.steelsoldiers.com/upload/misc/HemaCool_Service_5_13_05.pdf
    Last edited by Valence; 03-06-2018 at 16:18.

4 Star General
    Thanks

The refrigeration system is pretty low capacity. It would take a long time for it to freeze something. It is more suited to keeping items at temp. Its not going to be good for freezing them.
    Chris Medico

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DieselAddict For This Useful Post:

Valence (03-06-2018)

Sergeant Major
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rustystud View Post
    The problem is those silly Canadians ! For some reason they don't like you starting fires along-side the roads up there ! LOL !!!
    Propane, or char or the vacuum stove with wood would be ok on side of road AFAIK as an adventuring canadian, people get excited if you move firewood from one spot to another though.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NATCAD For This Useful Post:

rustystud (03-07-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,617 Times in 3,251 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DieselAddict View Post
    The refrigeration system is pretty low capacity. It would take a long time for it to freeze something. It is more suited to keeping items at temp. Its not going to be good for freezing them.
    Actually no. Once it reaches it operating temperature of -23 Celsius it would freeze almost anything. It has a compressor almost as large as our 16 cubit Ft refrigerator. This is a serious unit guys. It weighs in at 148 Ibs. It's made to keep Blood cold or "Plasma" frozen in the Desert . Men's lives depended on them to work, and work properly in all conditions. It is not some little "toy" freezer "want a be" like those cute little beer coolers. That is the reason the "payload" is only 2 cubic feet.
    Any more and the unit would take three or more men to move.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rustystud For This Useful Post:

maa45069 (03-07-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,617 Times in 3,251 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maa45069 View Post
    So rusty how are you going to power the fridge?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    I'm sorry I forgot your question ! The main way I will be powering the freezer is with 24 volts DC when driving. At night I will be using the MEP-531 generator. When I need to stop for short rests or refueling the units "internal" batteries will keep it cold. The last time I checked the internal batteries capacity, they would keep the unit below freezing for 8 hours.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rustystud For This Useful Post:

maa45069 (03-07-2018), Valence (03-07-2018)

Thanks

Actually no. Once it reaches it operating temperature of -23 Celsius it would freeze almost anything. It has a compressor almost as large as our 16 cubit Ft refrigerator. This is a serious unit guys. It weighs in at 148 Ibs. It's made to keep Blood cold or "Plasma" frozen in the Desert . Men's lives depended on them to work, and work properly in all conditions. It is not some little "toy" freezer "want a be" like those cute little beer coolers. That is the reason the "payload" is only 2 cubic feet.
    Ha I know they are absolutely fun to move on my own. 148lbs wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so large. They are great units they got down to temp in a decent amount of time as well. I am impressed.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    1968 AM GENERAL M35A2C
    M105A2
    Wisconsin Robin Model WRDI-270
    MC-2A
    MEP-831A
    04 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY SE
    03 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY SE
    03 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY HSE7
    04 BMW R1150R

4 Star General
    Thanks

I respectfully disagree. Here's why, the compressor is DC powered. The motor is larger than an AC motor so the compressor looks larger. Second, the power input is only 50w. In contrast the compressor on you normal fridge is going to be in the hundreds of watts of input power. Input power is a reasonable indicator of how much work these systems can do. Lastly the size of the evaporator and condensers on these units are small. Yes they are fan cooled which makes them effectively larger but in the end their effective size will be much smaller than a normal fridge. They will have less heat capacity.

The fact act they can keep things frozen in the desert is as much the insulation design as it is the overall design of the refrigeration system (which is in my opinion great).

To demonstrate I'll do a test to show how long it takes to freeze a container of water in one set on freeze compared to my home freezer. Maybe I'll be surprised.
    Chris Medico

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DieselAddict For This Useful Post:

gimpyrobb (03-07-2018), Valence (03-07-2018)

Thanks

DieselAddict,
    Seems like you really know your stuff. But I guess my thoughts on this are if they are already running and have reached the desired temp then it would freeze as quickly as any other mechanism as long as the temperatures are the same. since rusty will be keeping his running 24/7 I bet he will be able to freeze whatever in no time lol. I am not speaking about the time it takes for this unit to reach the freeze mode temp from room temp or even a hot summer day but just thinking about how they would be used in his application. Please do the test because I am very interested in the results!
    1968 AM GENERAL M35A2C
    M105A2
    Wisconsin Robin Model WRDI-270
    MC-2A
    MEP-831A
    04 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY SE
    03 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY SE
    03 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY HSE7
    04 BMW R1150R

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast