• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I need a good source for dash screws & other fasteners

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The data plate screws and others dash screws are a mishmash of original, random, and hardware store bright cadmium screws of all head types.
I want to find original fasteners and I'm curious if there is a go-to source for such things?

Couldn't find any clues from searches here but I did come across this place that produces military hardware:

http://military-fasteners.elitefastenersinc.com/category/military-fasteners

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
that would help, wouldn't it? It's an M813 I want to find correct looking fasteners that have the right finish. Not quite black and definitely not shiny.

JDToumanian

Those are just standard Mil Spec 8-32 pan head Phillips screws... Yours are rusty and/or painted over, but when they were new they were yellow cadmium plated. McMaster-Carr has them.

https://www.mcmaster.com/

From the home page above, select: screws & bolts -> rounded head screws -> Phillips rounded head screws. Then, in the menu on the left, narrow it down by selecting 8-32 for the thread size, and cadmium plated for the finish. The mil spec page will be the only one that comes up as seen in my screen shot below. I'd post a direct link but McMaster's page links expire quickly so there's no point, you gotta find them as I posted here.

Jon

Attachments

Last edited:

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those are just standard Mil Spec 8-32 pan head Phillips screws... Yours are rusty and/or painted over, but when they were new they were yellow cadmium plated. McMaster-Carr has them.
I'll have to take your word for it as I'm probably too young to have seen shiny screws on M809 series trucks. I found the mil-spec screws and the black oxide coated stainless screws sound groovy for data plates & headlight switches!
Thanks for the link!

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ended up going with the black oxide stainless steel 8-32 screws from McMaster (p/n 90988A072) and they turned out great!
20180211_132503.jpg

JDToumanian

JDToumanian, what color is your dash? It's looks close to the same color mine USED to be...
That's Gillespie 24087 semi-gloss olive drab. I'm not a big fan of it, it's too brown, though it has faded to a nicer more green color since that picture was taken. Your dash looks like 383 green CARC to me...

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, the green looks like 383 but look at the brownish color beneath the green that is exposed with some data plates removed...

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Perfectionist stuff

Replace all the fasteners on the brakes and everything under your truck too.
Hey, how about rotisserie body off deep down powder coat everything,
and put all the grounds back with well nuts.

Hey, I can dream too.......................

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perfectionist stuff

Replace all the fasteners on the brakes and everything under your truck too.
Hey, how about rotisserie body off deep down powder coat everything,
and put all the grounds back with well nuts.

Hey, I can dream too.......................
This is the restoration section is it not? There is no place for home depot garbage fasteners in the restoration of a military vehicle. There is a mil-spec out there for everything - might as well adhere to it

JDToumanian

Yes, the green looks like 383 but look at the brownish color beneath the green that is exposed with some data plates removed...
Interesting, I hadn't even noticed the brown color under the data plates... My brain saw the picture as having the data plates in their proper places. That brown almost looks like the darker brown from desert camo... The correct Vietnam-era olive drab is much greener in vintage pics as well as on NOS parts.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have purchased new screws at some point, probably from Memphis. There are probably other places that have them. I also have removed them and used a bench grinder with a wire brush wheel to clean them up. They cleaned up very nicely. That could be a thought until you buy the new screws.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks