• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Did the supply of M101A2s and 3s dry up??

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
AntennaClimber did a fantastic build with a M101A2 for the convoy last year.
Best one I’ve seen IMHO.

Plenty of others, including the above, that also did awesome builds.
All it takes is time and $$$
Plus space, ingenuity, skill, dedication.......

I’m definitely building one!!
Someday......!!

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Me too! ... Definitely! ... Someday! You are right that it takes some serious scratch to build one. You better have your plans in mind and material list priced out, or you are in for a shock if you just dive in and build willy nilly.

I started build on an adventure trailer from scratch. I went with Timbren independent axles, 4” drop. Just the axles and brakes alone ran close to $1k. Built the deck and box and that’s where I am. Have lots of the parts, but I’m sure I put $2500 in it. Would have been better off modifying a 101.

harleyhouse

Awesome trailers Great size and share a common 8 x 6.5 lug pattern to all early 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.

Attachments

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I recognize some of those pics from ex-po! I go by the same name over there. They don’t seem to have the same affinity for MV’s as we do. They do like to use the trailers as soon as the pintle hitch is removed (too noisy for them, funny, It doesnt seem to bother me). They like them just as platforms to build on though. Can’t blame them one bit. They have good taste!

I blame ex-po (expedition portal) for some of my trailer addiction. Great site. If you are weak minded like me, open to suggestion, Don’t go there unless you are ready to build!

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve had a few people drive up and ask if I wanted to sell
mine and then where to get them.
Mostly Jeep guys
Now I can tell them don’t bother to look at GP auctions since their all gone basically.

Some really great builds and great ideas are on that site and SS.

That’s why I wanted another one (or two).
It’s better to have and not need.......than need and not have.

I know that when they do pop here and there at auction, they will be very pricey.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a guy at Home Depot wait for me in the parking lot. He just wanted to reminisce about them. Had so many good things to say. He wanted one, but didn’t have the scratch to buy one. Even back when they weren’t too expensive.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I spotted two M105s in a motor pool on Fort Bragg today. Both looked serviceable from a distance, but one was stenciled “Metal Scrap” and the was labeled “Wood Scrap”. I’m curious if either trailer is on their property book. Not likely if I had to guess.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Occasionally you can see one here and there in the background of the GP auction pics.
Someday they will be auctioned off, or scrapped.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a few lots of NOS M105 beds out of OKC last year. Ready to mount to the frame! If I happen to have spare 105 frames laying around, which I don’t. The 105 bed is thick compared to a 101 bed. They are not the same beast. Just guessing, 11 ga or .125 on the 105 compared to the 101 bed at 14 ga maybe? Doesn’t sound like much, but it’s a big difference on a tow vehicle.

Plan was building a bed for a 931 out of two chopped 105 beds. And a dump trailer with two of the remaining beds, chopped and welded together. (I bought a few of them).

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a few lots of NOS M105 beds out of OKC last year. Ready to mount to the frame! If I happen to have spare 105 frames laying around, which I don’t. The 105 bed is thick compared to a 101 bed. They are not the same beast. Just guessing, 11 ga or .125 on the 105 compared to the 101 bed at 14 ga maybe? Doesn’t sound like much, but it’s a big difference on a tow vehicle.

Plan was building a bed for a 931 out of two chopped 105 beds. And a dump trailer with two of the remaining beds, chopped and welded together. (I bought a few of them).
I saw those listed. Quite a few were sold.
Couldn’t understand why they needed a EUC. The ones I saw listed required it.

The 105 is a big trailer.
Using thicker steel definitely made a difference in strength and also weight.

The M101A2/3 is the best trailer the Military used.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I knew it was 4K!!
Hard to convey the humorous tone I meant via text.

Someday I’ll start on a camper build on my second M101A2.
Yea.......Someday.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just spotted two M101A2 trailers in a motor pool at Ft Hood. They looked great, on line, clean and serviceable with good tarps. First M101 trailers I’ve seen in service in quite awhile.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just bought a drift boat for the summer, so was thinking about thinning my herd of 101’s. I know, I know, it’s hard to do. It’s like selling an organ, a child or a gun. I just never do it!

But, who needs 4 of them?

Me.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just spotted two M101A2 trailers in a motor pool at Ft Hood. They looked great, on line, clean and serviceable with good tarps. First M101 trailers I’ve seen in service in quite awhile.
There are a few around.
All that means is when they finally do make it to auction, they will be very pricey.

tobyS

I miss the days of buying the 105's just to get the tires (with nubs) and wheels to put new shoes (NDCC) on my F600 4x4 boomtruck. (bought 4). I had some 11.00 to replace them with and sold the 105's at a small profit. Man they were nice.

You guys have seen the 105 bed with Dexter axle....which is what I would do with the new 105 beds, not cut them up. Also posting a picture of the 1101 with hitch mods that gets an S-788, first time hooked to the truck, to show the tires/wheels off a Ford van.

I still want more M105 bed(s) (new are nice)(one for the deuce) once the budget is repaired.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I definitely miss the days of $200 M101A2’s.
Still kicking myself for not getting more.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks