• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Extended range 118 gallon fuel tank install on a M923

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Alright well my extra tank from Deuceman showed up this morning on truck freight. Was a nice pretty afternoon after it has done nothing but rain for the past few weeks. So I got to work installing a M915A1 fuel tank on my passengers side on my M923. It turned out to be pretty straight forward. I was able to utilize about 6 already existing holes on the frame from the toolbox/tank bracket mounting and from the exhaust tower plate. I ended having to drill 9 holes in the frame though. The strap T bolts secure thru holes thru the frame. They were the hardest thing to drill as getting the right angle on them.

Had to loosen primary and secondary air tank bracket bolts and slide the tanks forward nearly touching the backside of the inner fenders. Removed one of the extended pipes on the primary tank and shortened it to get the right clearance.

I knew I was going to have to cut the steps on the battery box I had made off so I wacked it and the support off. I quick welded the air tank drain bracket on to the side of the battery box. That was simple. I am going to reinforce the battery box with a brace to the fuel tank or the frame. Not sure which yet.

The tank straps were a full blown PITA. Getting the slack out was no fun at all. BUT it is on. Took me about 4 hours start to finish by myself. Fighting the tank up with the straps having to go thru the slots on the holes was a pain.

I decided to run my main hose to this tank for now and transfer from my drivers side tank to this bigger one. The larger tank would flood the smaller tank on a transfer and lose fuel knowing my ADHD I will forget the pump is on cause I am distracted by squirrels. I have a plan to do this to the driver's side whenever I get around to getting the tank off the parts truck. That side will be a little more complex with all my other air tanks for the transmission in the way.

Adding this tank gave me an extra 40 gallons as it is a 118 gal tank with a 112 gal draw over the 71 gallon draw stock tank had. I will rhinoliner the tank tomorrow solid black.

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well I went to the local Murphy's to fill it up. $280 to the neck. Luckily it was only $2.36 a gallon. Was $370 total to fill the drivers side tank up as well for this run.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Drivers side tank got done today. It was pretty easy. I had to make a brace for the drivers step but that was simple. I will reinstall my toolboxes tomorrow I have to remove the fuel cap guard plate that goes on the spare tire carrier before I can reinstall that section. And spray it with some black rhinoliner.

Should be around 230 gallons total.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks