• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SEE M105 Loadout Article-SUBJECT M35A2 Brake System

saddamsnightmare

:?: :twisted: :arrow:
January 30th, 2008.

SEE ARTICLE ON M105 LOADOUT BELOW:

In regards to the M35 series not having a split brake system on the air over hydraulic brakes- ISN'T IT TIME WE RECONSIDER REENGINEERING THE MASTER CYLINDER TO SPLIT THE SYSTEM? The fact that many of our M35's went through MWO rebuilds in the late 1980's early 1990's and Uncle didn't see fit to correct a weak design element from the original G742 brake system doesn't mean we can't go back and revise
the brakes. Given that so many M35's are now in civillian and industrial use, how hard would it be to adapt a modern 70 or 80 series master cylinder to split the system into two parts, front axle and rear bogies, to gain a small amount of redundancy over the unpowered hydraulic system?? Just splitting the system alone would increase our safety factors by what, 50 to 100% over the present system?
Even large truck brake air systems have a fail safe feature that when they drop below 60 PSI they lock up, WHY doesn't the M35's system do the same? I know the Army was looking for mission survivability and ease of maintenance, but an M35 in a combat zone with no brakes must have been a threat to the crew and personnel in the immediate area.
IF WE CAN ENGINEER LOCKING HUBS and other upgrades, NOW IS THE TIME TO SAY, CREATE US A NEW MASTER CYLINDER UNIT TO SPLIT THE SYSTEMS. I'm willing to cough a few up to get the safety factor on my truck, as I have to treat each present brake application as a potential BRAKE FAILURE, due to the truck's age and primitive brake design. Would JATONKA's guys be willing to come up with a modification or replacement kit to do just that- split the system? HIs engineering seems to be exceptional from all I've heard, and I'm sure Eastern Surplus and Boyce might be willing to weigh in also.

My two cents,

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan
1963 Mercedes Benz Unimog S.404.114 (Swiss)
1971 KAiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Vietnam and Desert Storm Veteran Deuce.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No need to create a new MC, get the one for the M35A3's/later USAF M35A2C's... Memphis has them. You'll also need the perportioning valve, another airpack, and the associated lines.. Might have to fab up a new mount for the MC.

The dual brake systems on the USAF trucks didnt come out until 1986/7.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks