• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Roadside assistance that covers a deuce?

Mike944

Hi all,

Does anybody know if AAA, or some other roadside assistance company would cover a deuce?

I'm buying one, about 3.5 hrs away, and considering driving it back. Seller drove it 4 hours when he bought it 6 years ago. Hasn't gone more than a few miles at a time since then.

Flat bedding it that far gets expensive. I'd be much more comfortable driving it, if I knew I had some kind of roadside assistance that would cover me. Plus, having something like that for the first year of ownership, before I really know much about the vehicle, isn't a bad idea.

Thoughts?

dmetalmiki

Welcome to the site, hobby, friendships, and events to come. An excellent idea. And there surely must be plethora of companies that provide that service. Just google it. And I would think, that similar to over here in the U.K. Insurance companies offer that service for an extra fee. Good luck, Keep us informed and post some pictures of your pick up, And journey home, (which you will enjoy).

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hi all,

Does anybody know if AAA, or some other roadside assistance company would cover a deuce?

I'm buying one, about 3.5 hrs away, and considering driving it back. Seller drove it 4 hours when he bought it 6 years ago. Hasn't gone more than a few miles at a time since then.

Flat bedding it that far gets expensive. I'd be much more comfortable driving it, if I knew I had some kind of roadside assistance that would cover me. Plus, having something like that for the first year of ownership, before I really know much about the vehicle, isn't a bad idea.

Thoughts?
If you list it under your insurance as RV/Hobby vehicle and they offer roadside it will cover the cost of a tow up to around 60 miles.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anybody know if AAA, or some other roadside assistance company would cover a deuce??

According to the literature AAA does not cover a vehicle the size of a deuce.

However...

I have used AAA twice for my deuce. Both times when the AAA operator asked what kind of vehicle I answered and just didn't go into much detail. I said it was an American General truck, year: 1971. I guess I could've come clean and told them that I knew they shouldn't respond, but when you're stuck on a freeway, out of gas (other incident was for battery issue), your morals may become compromised (mileage may vary). In any case the independent tow truck drivers in both cases thought the truck was really cool and they didn't care that it technically wasn't covered by AAA.

That said, I would only call AAA if it was something that I knew they could handle on the spot. They won't be able to tow your truck. If you need this you'll have to call a truck tow and hope they know what they're doing because the independent axles are challenging. If your deuce is 24v be warned that 99.9% of tow companies out there only have a 12v jumper and that won't work - though they could recharge the batteries one at a time (if you have two 12v's).

If you want to be proactive, you could buy a 24v battery jumper before you go. Prices start around $100. And even if you never use it for the deuce, most will recharge your cell phone about 1000 times before they run out of juice.

There probably are commercial roadside assistance contracts out there, but they're gonna be a lot more expensive than AAA.

When I bought my deuce I drove it back about 1000 miles.

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hi all,

Thoughts?
You are not alone in here but may be alone out on the road. You need to approach and befriend all the military vehicle and Deuce like minded people in your area.
It would all be mo fun that way anyhow. There is members maps here.

Connecticut is big, make acquaintances.

mhb285

AAA said that they would & did cover me & my bike....... Specified that I tell the tow company weight & dimensions.... so as to no confusion on size of RV...........
Haven't used it as of yet..... hoping not to....

CMPPhil

I verify my coverage every year before renewing

AAA said that they would & did cover me & my bike....... Specified that I tell the tow company weight & dimensions.... so as to no confusion on size of RV...........
Haven't used it as of yet..... hoping not to....
Hi

This pretty much hits the nail on the head, be it AAA, Hagerty, or any other towing/road side assistance insurance, tell them up front when you purchase the insurance & the towing rider what exactly they are covering. When you call for assistance be sure to tell them how heavy, how tall, and how long. This important so they don't send equipment that is to small for the job. I have used my towing rider twice in 30+ years. Once on my 6800lbs CMP HUP and once on my 10,000+lbs CMP Radio truck. Currently I think my tow coverage is for 160 mile distance.

Cheers Phil

mhb285

more than makes up for the cost on the 1st tow........ I priced things by talking to tow drivers...... Have had AAA for 35+yrs., no problems so far....
YMMV.....

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've looked into this and called many truck towing companies. If AAA of any service like Goodie towed you, then you are lucky. You must be an RV or motor home to be covered by most, AAA says it does not cover dual well trucks, again if you have then good for you! Of all the companies that do Truck Road Service, no one will cover a payment plan for non fleet vehicles.

So the best we have is that like some say, find a Friend that can help. try using the map and contact people along your route first and ask for help if you need it. In the Army when ever we did long trips we would have a list of all the Maintenance shops along the route just in case. With no towing support plan this is a must! If you don't and break down, then plan to have your check book or a credit card ready, you'll need it!

I do not know why the providers won't except us, but they don't!

Were are you going, and when?, remember there also is a forum if case you bread down and need help, But better to try and have the help ready and willing before you go!

Could luck and hope all goes well! With a Deuce, it usually does!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check with you actual insurance company rather than a 3rd party vendor like AAA. I have collector's insurance on my LMTV that includes Roadside Assistance. I had to have it towed nearly 100 miles when the fan clutch exploded and they told me I was actually good for 200 miles from home. That coverage saved me an $850 tow bill and basically covered my insurance for about 4 years.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi all,

Thoughts?
My biggest concern would be the condition of the brakes , when were they last serviced ?
Sitting is bad on the wheel cylinders and with the single circuit breaks if one goes they all go. 2nd would be when the fuel filters were last changed and how old the fuel is. It will definitely need a full pre-trip inspection
(found in the -10 TM).

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you check out the condition of the truck before starting, do the proper thorough PM, and especially check out the brakes, you are not likely to have a problem. Read the TMs. Don't try to drive excessively fast. I normally keep mine at ~50 mph or less. I've recovered two deuces that I drove 17 hours and 28 hours respectively. Your trip isn't that long. Driving the deuce home will be fun.

Mike944

Thanks for the help everyone!
i'm going from Schenectady, NY to Haddam, CT. Taking a route to avoid highways (likely route link below) Not sure when, maybe sat or sun March 24th-25th. I'll be bringing at least one mechanically-inclined friend to follow, (i'm pretty good myself) and a whole pile of tools.

The whole reason i'm asking about this, is i had a very bad (and very expensive) experience with a large trailer that lost a wheel and shattered a hub, that i had to get flat towed off the highway by a heavy-duty wrecker service. I think the final bill ended up well over $2k, i was told that they "cut me a bit of a break" and that was just to get it off the highway! I still had to pay another $600 or so to get it flat-bedded the rest of the way.

The current owner hasn't serviced much of anything in the 6 years he's owned it. He said he probably hasn't put more than 1k or so miles on it in 6 years. I can, and certainly will do a good inspection before driving it, but it's kind of difficult to do an intensive PM so far from home. I want to get it home, and THEN do a full brake and fuel system refurb (along with numerous other things). Problem is how to get it to a location where i can do all those things.
Anybody have an idea what a transport service would charge for something like that? (2.5 hrs highway route)

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Sch...17!2m2!1d-72.5122763!2d41.4771433!2m1!1b1!3e0

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I came here to write mostly what Porkysplace said regarding brakes as your #1 concern followed by fuel. Beyond what he already covered, personally, my only other main concern to get it home would be wheel bearings. Do they have enough grease? Any grease?

I would be surprised if every single wheel seal was NOT leaking. What that'll mean is that gear oil has probably gotten on all bearings, and at least has started to wash away the grease. Gear oil still lubricates, but not nearly as well or what wheel bearings need in a long drive. That said, you can get away with driving the truck even under those conditions. Heaven knows that I did. I bought my deuce and it took me 5 years and about 1200 miles before I serviced my hubs, and I should have done so right away. There was gear oil intrusion in all bearings and hubs. Some of the rear outer bearings had virtually no grease, but all bearings and races appeared fine in my inspection and service and I'm still using them 3 years and 2500 miles later.

I don't know how long my truck sat before it went to auction (I bought it from another person in 2010 shortly after they bought it from a Government Liquidation auction). What the inside of my front knuckle looked like in 2015:
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...ce-this-week&p=1684985&viewfull=1#post1684985

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your mileage may vary. I recovered my Deuce over 1100 miles, crossing 4 states and one international border. I spent almost three days servicing the truck (new oil and filters, new fuel filters, brake bleeding, chassis grease job). I took it on a couple short local drives to get light bulbs and fuel to get familiar with it. I did not remove the wheels. All six wheel seals were leaking. I sprayed brake cleaner through the inspection hole in the drum while rotating the wheel, washing out as much of the mess as I could, prior to the trip and I did not top up the axles with gear oil (they were still within a knuckle of the fill hole). Brakes worked fine. Truck ran like a champ, never missed a beat.
The previous owner had no clue about the truck and did not drive it much and I had never seen one close-up and was learning ..like drinking from a fire hose. Good times.

Rational minds will suggest you have it transported, for a fixed fee, and avoid the risk and the thrills that come with the gamble of a recovery on its own wheels.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anybody have an idea what a transport service would charge for something like that? (2.5 hrs highway route)
When I was first looking for a deuce I toyed with the idea of getting one transported to me. My research showed that if you had all the time in the world and could afford to move it when it was convenient to a given shipper the price was close to a $1/mile. If you want it now, the price was closer to $10/mile or more.

You might want to look and see if there are any places near the seller where you can rent a garage (DIY auto repair shop) for a day to do a more thorough inspection. These places are usually found in larger cities/metropolitan areas.

gentrysgarage

Triple A in CA would not move my M135 10 feet...say their trucks won't handle it (2 airheads and a manger later). Ask them for a tow company, they give phone number, driver shows up with a AAA wheel lift tow truck and gets it the last 10 feet in the driveway. After 28 years of terrible service I too am looking for a towing policy...

mhb285

so far all my dealing with AAA have been positive..... unless I screwed up.
Still happy....
YMMV....as always
good luck & always travel with a MV with a clear $10K min on a clear credit card...... **** gets expensive when it go's south with weight far from home....

Last edited:

rustystud

so far all my dealing with AAA have been positive..... unless I screwed up.
Still happy....
YMMV....as always
good luck & always travel with a MV with a clear $10K min on a clear credit card...... **** gets expensive when it go's south with weight far from home....
Wiser words have not been spoken !!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks