• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Roadside assistance that covers a deuce?

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just speaking from someone that does this for a living I would get some quotes on shipping by posting up a new thread on here in the transportation needs section. There are a few members that do this and it would be a lot better than going through a broker. If anything it will give you the option if you decide to do the recovery yourself have someone's number in your pocket as backup.
Mind you it has happened where a person has asked for a quote, then they decided to do the recovery themselves and for some unforseen reason they breakdown along the way the original price that was quoted is no longer valid.
Message_1512625868333.jpg

sidewinder770

I insured my M35a2 through Hagerty ($97 a year for full coverage) Since I have 2 other vehicles with them I got the "high-octane" roadside assistance with towing up to 150 miles that covers any vehicles on my policy. Once I got home with the duece I downgraded to the "premium" roadside assistance which covers all vehicles for up to 60 miles which is about as far as I drive with any of my classics anyway.

Bighorn

I carry no less than a complete standard and metric socket set from 1/4 7mm thru 1-9/16" 26 mm as well as a full compliment of metric and standard box wrenches. Snap ring pliers. Crescent wrenches. oil filter wrench, screw drivers, hub nut socket, brake spring pliers.
This is my "small" travel kit.
I would never consider leaving the trailer for a road trip without at lest this amount of tools.
Triple A.
What are they going to do?
Watch me while i fix their truck for them?
Personally i think anyone relying on triple A should avoid ancient iron altogether.
View attachment 722164

Last edited:

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Triple A.
They can bring you 5 gal of diesel.;-)

I don't rely on AAA, it's just another tool for the tool box. I also carry tools.

Life is short, have fun, worry about the problems when you're dead.

Last edited:

Mike944

Triple A.
Tow me home? That is what they do, isn't it? That's what i'm looking for. When i say "roadside assistance" i don't mean help on the side of the road, i mean "Tow my broken Sh_t home!"

i'm not worried one bit about my ability to fix anything that goes wrong. What i AM worried about is having to do it in a panic on the side of the road. The po-po normally don't take kindly to folks doing major auto repair on the side of the road.....

Bighorn

Different where i live.
No triple A out here.
Even if you can get a tow truck, it took 4 hours the last time someone punctured their oil pan.
As for bringing diesel, my tank holds 26 gallons.
Never come close to empty.

gentrysgarage

Tow me home? That is what they do, isn't it? That's what i'm looking for. When i say "roadside assistance" i don't mean help on the side of the road, i mean "Tow my broken Sh_t home!"
i'm not worried one bit about my ability to fix anything that goes wrong. What i AM worried about is having to do it in a panic on the side of the road. The po-po normally don't take kindly to folks doing major auto repair on the side of the road.....
EXACTLY!
I was only pointing out that Triple A in Los Angeles (in particular) was worthless and NOT an option...never got a tow less than 3 hours and sooner than 2 hours and 15 minutes less than time quoted. Also the fact that they said they had nothing to tow move it with and the truck that came out was a Duramax 1 ton dually with a wheel lift and Triple A stickers on the side!

I am also looking for a safety net. They impound first ask questions later in my part of the city.

So far It looks like we only have Haggerty as the only solid towing insurance offered.

Thanks for the suggestions.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter

So far It looks like we only have Haggerty as the only option.
Haggerty is not the only option but it’s against site rules to discuss insurance possibilities (specific companies) but several of the other collector companies offer excellent tow options. I had an $850 tow billed completely covered and they didn’t even ask why it needed towed.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you ever read the stuff about what AAA covers? They don't cover every vehicle and for the price they charge, I wouldn't expect them too. The average car weighs less than 2 tons and the deuce weighs over 6. I think it's a little unrealistic to expect AAA to tow a semi truck, and the deuce is pretty much in this class.

From the AAA website about Roadside Assistance towing conditions:

Box vans, cube vans, trailers with more than 2 axles, van or truck cutaways, taxicabs, limousines, shuttle vehicles, hearses, emergency responder vehicles, commercially configured vehicles including but not limited to: flatbeds, landscaping vehicles, vehicles that are larger than a 2 ton load capacity, dump trucks, school buses (including RV conversions), corporate fleet vehicles, vehicles used for competition and vehicles with a snow plow attachment are not covered by AAA emergency road service.

I've had AAA for 10 years now, and I think it's a very good service for a car.

rustystud

They can bring you 5 gal of diesel.;-)

I don't rely on AAA, it's just another tool for the tool box. I also carry tools.

Life is short, have fun, worry about the problems when you're dead.
Yes life is short, and yes I carry tools. I probably carry more tools then anyone on this site. That's not bragging it's because I'm terribly paranoid and a heavy truck mechanic so I do know what can go wrong. (My last trip I carried an "Oxy-Acetylene set" just in case). I've also been in a horrible roll-over accident 700 miles from home. I needed help not just "towing" but "hauling" my busted up truck. The bill just to get my truck off the highway cost almost a thousand. To have it hauled back to Woodinville, WA. cost more. So If I could get any kind of towing insurance that would be great, and I'm not going to "poo-poo" anyone else who also wants insurance.

gentrysgarage

Have you ever read the stuff about what AAA covers? They don't cover every vehicle and for the price they charge, I wouldn't expect them too. The average car weighs less than 2 tons and the deuce weighs over 6. I think it's a little unrealistic to expect AAA to tow a semi truck, and the deuce is pretty much in this class.

From the AAA website about Roadside Assistance towing conditions:

Box vans, cube vans, trailers with more than 2 axles, van or truck cutaways, taxicabs, limousines, shuttle vehicles, hearses, emergency responder vehicles, commercially configured vehicles including but not limited to: flatbeds, landscaping vehicles, vehicles that are larger than a 2 ton load capacity, dump trucks, school buses (including RV conversions), corporate fleet vehicles, vehicles used for competition and vehicles with a snow plow attachment are not covered by AAA emergency road service.

I've had AAA for 10 years now, and I think it's a very good service for a car.

AAA in Los Angeles has trouble with cars and 3/4 ton stock bed trucks also...

I simply was pointing out that AAA in Los Angeles was definitely not the answer to the question of this thread.

The purpose of this thread is to find a roadside assistance insurance plan that
WILL haul Deuces.

Last edited:

rustystud

AAA in Los Angeles has trouble with cars and 3/4 ton stock bed trucks also...

I simply was pointing out that AAA in Los Angeles was definitely not the answer to the question of this thread.

The purpose of this thread is to find a roadside assistance insurance plan that
WILL haul Deuces.
I totally agree with you. I was just referring to those who feel you don't need any assistance.

CMPPhil

Its all about thinking ahead

Hi

Back before SteelSoldiers forum and the possibility of reaching out for help on the internet, many of us with larger trucks 10,000 Lbs and larger were pretty much on our own. So a common practice was to cultivate local wrecker service AKA Joe the Tow, use them for hauling trucks home, object to find one that was interested in our MVs knew from experience that we were good for the tow charges. Heck of a lot easier to get somebody you have already talked with come get you when you really breakdown, particularly on a weekend, or at night.

Couple of years ago our club did a convoy from the bottom of New Hampshire to the Canadian boarder over a weekend, before that trip I went to my tow guy who had equipment that could handle anything from a jeep to a 10 tons. We negotiated a tow home agreement with a maximum price against his hourly rate. In this way even if he had to drive the 235 miles to the top of the state we knew that it would not be more than a max number. In our case the club agreed to pay the fee if it was needed. If we needed him at the top of the state would have to wait the 4 hours for him to get there.

My point is it takes some planning ahead of time, and being sure your tow company and your road side assistance insurance company know and acknowledge what they are being expected to tow. Just prior to the convoy mentioned I called my insurance company Hagerty to increase my assistance plan from basic to the best coverage. The gal on the phones first comment was "Oh planning a long trip" turns out they get a bunch of calls upgrading coverage before national antique vehicle events.

Cheers Phil

russojap

This is an incredibly helpful thread. The reason I stopped driving the Deuce was because I was afraid of a $500 minimum tow bill (that's what I imagined it would be). Fortunately I was wrong and a few weeks ago got a quote from the closest towing company between me and town for $250 for a 15 mile tow in the event of a breakdown. I do wonder if the price would still be the same if I was actually broke down on the road and called them up though.

Another reason was because my insurance company, State farm (can I say that?) had the deuce listed as an AM General M35A2 Sedan? So I felt like I may not have actually been covered.

So I'm trying to get a quote from Haggerty with the towing under the military vehicle option, but I need to know what the Deuce sub model is. Is it the M35A1? Thank you.

Last edited:

sandcobra164

russojap,
As mentioned earlier, find friends with capable vehicles close by and invest in a towbar. Sometimes insurance towing policies are stand up, sometimes not. When my 5 ton broke down due to a failed injection pump, I called a friend with a 5 ton and we connected the two trucks together with my towbar. Ran safety chains, ensured transfer case was in neutral and had my wife follow behind us with her hazard flashers on. The costs associated with purchasing the towbar are probably cheaper than calling a commercial towing company and I get to use it again if I should ever need it. Network, find friends and you should be good to go. And buy a towbar as they are worth their weight in gold when you need one.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to get one of my deuces hauled home 15 miles about two years ago. The local tow company charged me $100.00. I sent the receipt to my State Farm agent and they reimbursed me. I didn't even ask if it was covered. My State Farm agent knows exactly what my truck is.

russojap

russojap,
As mentioned earlier, find friends with capable vehicles close by and invest in a towbar. Sometimes insurance towing policies are stand up, sometimes not.
Ok thanks sandcobra, but I'm too paranoid about bothering somebody generally to do that. I'm in the local MV club but haven't met with them in years and don't know anyone with a big truck. Plus, I'm thinking more of a broke down in the middle of the road situation ( my biggest breakdown fear). I couldn't expect somebody to be ready at a moment's notice to come rescue me. Maybe if I was stranded in a parking lot yes, but again, I'm thinking of a 'I have to get this thing out of the road situation'.

​Edit: Don't forget, I need to know the sub model of the deuce.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks