Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1955 mowag T1

Thanks

Default 1955 mowag T1

good day everyone,
    my name is Gil I am a returning steel soldier member since I had a M35 a few years back. I am now back in the game so do speak with an odd bird a 1955 Mowag T1 ex Switzerland troop carrier.
    I don t know much about the rig, I just landed it a few weeks ago as a favor from a friend to clear his barn....
    the Mowag is still oversea awaiting a tune up before migrating to Florida.
    I do believe it is fitted with a straight six flat head gas motor (could be dodge origin but not positive)
    if anyone has any additional knowledge this would be of great help
    cheers
    Gil
    mowag~2.jpgmowag~3.jpgMowag ~1.jpg

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gel69 For This Useful Post:

71m109a3 (03-16-2018), M813rc (03-17-2018)

Thanks

It is cool, I'll say that much!
    I've been driving all night, my hands wet on the wheel.

MVPA 23171
    http://www.scmvcc.com
    http://www.southernca.aths.org/
    http://aths.org

MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,923 Times in 1,256 Posts

I gather they used a lot of Dodge parts, mainly WC stuff, so it is likely that engine.

I have always wondered why so many Swiss military trucks (and some Italian) are right-hand drive.

Cheers
    Rory

M813A1 (USMC)
    V100 (M706) Armoured Car
    XM704 Armoured Car
    S404 Unimog (Swiss)
    M185A3
    M109A3
    M1009 (x2)
    M931A2 (x2)
    M715 (x2.5)
    M725
    M35A2 w/w
    M1030B1 (USMC) (x2)
    M274A5 Mule (USMC)
    M1028A2
    Austin Champ
    M270A1
    M1082 (x2)
    M146
    M116A3 HSTRU
    M1102 CMT-F
    M128A2C
    M129A4
    ADC-TSS-5
    M348A2C AN/MSC-25
    and some more stuff...

Thanks

thanks for your input, this is what I think too, although I will have additional engine pictures soon, I believe it has the 230 CID flat head six from the dodge power wagon of the same year. I am hoping that Mowag also borrowed the transmission and the axles from the same source , that would be of great help for maintenance. And who knows maybe the winch is from Braden too....I might be pushing my luck .
    As for the RHD I have been told that during black out mod the RHD position help the driver keep sight of the hedge of the road he is travelling on.
    cheers

Thanks

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gel69 For This Useful Post:

71m109a3 (03-20-2018), M813rc (03-17-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M813rc View Post
    I gather they used a lot of Dodge parts, mainly WC stuff, so it is likely that engine.

I have always wondered why so many Swiss military trucks (and some Italian) are right-hand drive.

Cheers
    hanks for your input, this is what I think too, although I will have additional engine pictures soon, I believe it has the 230 CID flat head six from the dodge power wagon of the same year. I am hoping that Mowag also borrowed the transmission and the axles from the same source , that would be of great help for maintenance. And who knows maybe the winch is from Braden too....I might be pushing my luck .
    As for the RHD I have been told that during black out mod the RHD position help the driver keep sight of the hedge of the road he is travelling on.
    cheers

mowag engine~1.jpgmowag ~11.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gel69 For This Useful Post:

71m109a3 (03-20-2018), M813rc (03-17-2018)

4 Star General
    Thanks

Hello Gil and congrats on you r new acquisition a Mowag is one of those trucks that you know is out there but you never give them any thought! The engine in you truck is definitely a Mopar likely a 230 but it could also be the Canadian 251? or something of that size. The main cross member of your truck sure looks M-37 to me along with the rear diff and stabilizer bar. Very neat truck! Please keep us posted as your improvements grow!

Karl

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Karl kostman View Post
    Hello Gil and congrats on you r new acquisition a Mowag is one of those trucks that you know is out there but you never give them any thought! The engine in you truck is definitely a Mopar likely a 230 but it could also be the Canadian 251? or something of that size. The main cross member of your truck sure looks M-37 to me along with the rear diff and stabilizer bar. Very neat truck! Please keep us posted as your improvements grow!

Karl
    Hi Karl, thanks for the kind words, the distance purchase along with limited information available, made the thing a little scary at first, the shared drive train is somewhat a reassurance ..;o))
    you mentioned a Canadian 251 CI, is there any distinct external differences between the two engines that we could be looking for?
    My plan is to go retrieve the Mowag next summer and bring with me a sorted amount of parts needed for the tune up, engine, carburetor and brakes.
    Do the 251 and 230 share the same parts?
    will keep you guys posted of the progress
    regards
    Gil

4 Star General
    Thanks

Hello Gil and just to reassure you on the Mowag, you have been in this game long enough to know that we do figure out virtually everything that goes on with our trucks, its part of the fun! Gil I would request some assistance from some of the other members on this site to let us know if there is any external discerning differences between the US engine and the Canadian engine. I have never knowingly seen a 251 M-37 in my time. It would be my guess, (remember that word) that the engines would share the same carbs and very likely the same electrical system? Why dont you for now put out a request for info on this post concerning the two engines and I will be doing some research on my end Gil and we can compare notes.
    Talk more soon
    Karl

4 Star General
    Thanks

Hey Gil I confirmed the engine is a dodge engine for sure and the easiest way to tell the diff between the 230 and the 251 is to measure the length of the head. The 230 ci =23" long head and the 251 ci engines head is 25" long. I have not found anything concrete on the running gear on your truck yet? Will talk more this week after I find some stuff out Gill.
    Talk soon
    Karl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast