• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need some help with a direction to go with charging system ?

Reworked LMTV

Is the heavy gauge shunt wire essentially negative (-) ?
I think the shunt is used for the diagnostics. The regulation voltage lead cones thru the cab power panel, which goes thru the polarity box. Although the fuel solenoid is a better connection, it’s still from the same source. If you are getting an intermittent drop in voltage at the panel, and the regulator senses it, and tries to bring the voltage up, and then a second later you have an over voltage situation and the alt shuts down. I would bypass the polarity box. You can temporarily run a fused/breaker protected wire from the 24v battery connection over to the regulator 24v connection. Take the lead that’s on there now off and tape it up, at least for now. See how it goes with a direct connection like I have described. You will want to pull the fuse when the truck is off since this connection won’t be disconnected when you shut the truck off. See what happens.

Ronmar

Yes, the heavy gauge wire runs from battery negative, to shunt. Another heavy gauge cable goes from the other side of the shunt to starter negative and then the main chassis ground strap runs from there over to drivers frame rail.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks