Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: LOUISIANA PROPOSED NEW LAW : HB 549 Provides for Military Surplus Motor Vehicles

Colonel
    Thanks

I don’t believe senator hewett knew anything about this till I brought it up . So we can’t go blaming her for something the omv did . We believe the omv commisionor put this in motion . And bet she regrets it now . And hewett just signed some bull someone else wrote . The heads of omv , hewett and their lawyers is supposed to be there . Funny how they did not let us invite a lawyer . But we got that covered . Lol wish us luck . We are asking that they use the law already on books for vehicles of historic or special interest . Rs32:441 chapter 3 s441. And ad amendment to allow humvees to be titled . The omv commsioner has the power to just say to let humvees be titled and it would be in motion . But we want it in writing .

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Al Capone For This Useful Post:

cwc (04-11-2018), Flyingvan911 (04-10-2018), frodobaggins (04-10-2018), gentrysgarage (04-10-2018), timntrucks (04-11-2018), undysworld (04-11-2018), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (04-20-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,177 Times in 1,202 Posts

[QUOTE=Al Capone;2122712]I don’t believe senator hewett knew anything about this till I brought it up . So we can’t go blaming her for something the omv did . We believe the omv commisionor put this in motion . And bet she regrets it now . And hewett just signed some bull someone else wrote . The heads of omv , hewett and their lawyers is supposed to be there . Funny how they did not let us invite a lawyer . But we got that covered . Lol wish us luck . We are asking that they use the law already on books for vehicles of historic or special interest . Rs32:441 chapter 3 s441. And ad amendment to allow humvees to be titled . The omv commsioner has the power to just say to let humvees be titled and it would be in motion . But we want it in writing .[/Q

Good luck and God's speed!
    God bless,
    Tony

Thanks

Al if you get this done, name your beer it will be delivered!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to profo For This Useful Post:

Al Capone (04-10-2018)

Thanks

Sounds like a solid plan! I second the beer or whatever item we can use as a reason to celebrate. I wish I could be off work to support and share my opinion. I have my paperwork in my safe, the plan was to register mine last week while the kiddos and I were on vacation, they wanted to take a trip in the deuce. Summer is coming soon, they will be ready....haha
    Duke
    M35A2

Thanks
    Thanked 3,336 Times in 1,558 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Al Capone View Post
    I don’t believe senator hewett knew anything about this till I brought it up.. .
    This is directly contradicted by the statements made by the OMV employee.

I have no firsthand knowledge of what happened. I merely watch with interest to see how it turns out. Precedent and all...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,203 Posts

Default Attempted Minutes of Today's Meeting

Take Aways from Today’s Mtg

The meeting consisted of 4 owners and 4 dmv administrators but not the commissioner and Sen. Hewitt. Another person did pop in later and was never introduced.

How did we get here?

In another thread UNDYSWORLD hit the nail on the head. There is a national policy association/non profit of dmv administrators. They have pushed an agenda out there to all states and some are reacting to it. Basically they are calling all military trucks as unworthy and not meeting safety standards. Also there is an issue if they are allowed on Federal funded roads and Interstates? The topic of GP off road hmmwv titles also is part of this agenda but not the sole driving force. All trucks are lumped into one category.

LA DMV's Position

The LA dmv does not feel there is a clear and legal path to license & title any military vehicle in La. and a law needs to be passed to give clear legal language to all mv wheeled trucks. They are not totally against owning trucks and seem very receptive to help and want to do it “right”. They are the gate keepers providing technical assistance on La dmv statues, federal laws, AND BEST PRACTICES of other states to the senators. They are keenly aware of other states efforts and recent laws. They also are aware that many trucks have been registered in the past but feel they are not on legal ground with a statue to back them up. The Stencil law is not a clear path to registration or Title but just a provision not to use a plate.

Only 52 revocation letters have been sent and no more are planned presently. I tried to ask what was the criteria and I am afraid either the question was not answered or I did not understand the reply mixed in with all the dialogues.

As expected, La has modeled this bill with Virginia’s new law. Virginia’s law is based on language from the American Collector’s Insurance. Those who might have a policy from them, might need to evaluate your carrier. LA dmv feels this is a “good” law and feel restrictions are workable. They seem to like this one better than others. I requested they look at Idaho HB506 amongst others.

Sen Hewitt is an advocate and approachable

Sen. Hewitt clearly wants to help the owners and is not a roadblock but an advocate. But she is relying on dmv for expert advise on the technicalities , existing statues, and proposed language. I inferred she will not do anything counter to dmv’s advise. She wants to establish a path. I did not feel she wants restrictions but if dmv does, then she will not go against their advise.

Other ramblings

All 4 owners explained what we do with these trucks and tried to educate the difference from a WWII jeep, deuce, 5 ton, cucv to a hmmwv. We tried to explain the differences but in their mind they are all one big lump. I did explain that GP sells USMC hmmwv’s without restrictions for a premium price and I would say 4 sets of eyeballs got wide and pens were scratching paper. I did advocate against all restrictions but dmv does not seem willing to say zero restrictions. We briefly talked about equipment standards but nothing in the bill looks to be problematic.

Long technical discussion of fmvvs , 1180, AMG, Hummers, etc and federal standards also took place.

I did advocate a Grandfather clause to cover preexisting owners before a new law is enacted.

Potential GEM

There seemed to be some wiggle room from dmv on allowing self certification possibly by an ASE mechanic to allow compliance to standards. The bad is that the issue of Emissions compliance for the 4 parishes that require it came up. They were not aware that the vast majority of trucks are Diesel. The question of how owners in those 4 parishes would comply was left dangling? This could provide a path.

Final Thoughts

Only one hour was allocated to the mtg. On final wrap ups; They wanted only one owner to represent everyone (not me) and work with one administrator to iron out language and possible compromise(s) to submit to the senator.

They do want to present something to committee next week and bring to a vote.

I would rather the other 3 owners post if they desire but will keep them private until they chime in.

Please do not shoot the messenger/ reporting clerk.
    I have tried to report what has happened with very few of my personal beliefs to muddy the water.

I have not given my opinions yet here on ss as I want to see what develops from these point to point discussions and do not want to poison the well just yet. I and others have more wrenches in our tool boxes and as they say “It ain’t over till someone sings….”

I did stay at Holiday Inn once and in dire need to go to the French Quarter and visit Pat O”Brien’s and consume a hurricane(s) as my head still hurts…..
    1984 M923 "Maj. Zippidy" who now is equipped like a M925A1
    1991 M998 HMMWV

1990 Kasel M101A2
    1968 Case Master M101A1 with fuel tank and gen set up
    1991 Eastern Technologies M105A2
    60's ? m116a1? radar trailer flatbed
    xm1073 flat bed 7 1/2 ton

"Success demands a high level of logistical and organizational competence."
    - General George S. Patton, Jr

9. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to juanprado For This Useful Post:

98G (04-11-2018), bikeman (04-11-2018), Broke Down (04-11-2018), cwc (04-11-2018), Evil Dr. Porkchop (04-11-2018), Flyingvan911 (04-11-2018), frodobaggins (04-12-2018), gentrysgarage (04-11-2018), gerrykan (04-17-2018), Jbulach (04-11-2018), Lionel (04-11-2018), LouWon (04-11-2018), marchplumber (04-11-2018), ryanruck (04-11-2018), timntrucks (04-11-2018), Trailboss (04-16-2018), undysworld (04-11-2018), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (04-11-2018), Valence (04-12-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,177 Times in 1,202 Posts

Thank YOU for the update!! There are many members that aren't from LA that are closely watching and trying to help your cause!! God's speed!!
    God bless,
    Tony

Thanks
    Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,203 Posts

Yes Sir, and unfortunately; we are all dominos. What happened in Va is directly impacting La.

Who is next?
    1984 M923 "Maj. Zippidy" who now is equipped like a M925A1
    1991 M998 HMMWV

1990 Kasel M101A2
    1968 Case Master M101A1 with fuel tank and gen set up
    1991 Eastern Technologies M105A2
    60's ? m116a1? radar trailer flatbed
    xm1073 flat bed 7 1/2 ton

"Success demands a high level of logistical and organizational competence."
    - General George S. Patton, Jr

12. The Following User Says Thank You to juanprado For This Useful Post:

98G (04-11-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,257 Times in 781 Posts

That's good information. We know that it is an organized effort to influence every state. I wonder if the national association will be satisfied with each state making laws or if they will push against on-road use no matter what.
    It is a poverty when a dictionary must die so a person may spell as they wish.

Colonel
    Thanks

I’ve spent the last 1.5 hours on phone with one of others from meeting and briefly with other one who is working on the changes to bill to be approved by top omv person by Friday . Seems we were not able to get rid of everything on this go around but the self inspection by ase certified mechanic will give us interstate use . And on road use for humvees . Hopefully the section H removed at this time and modify penalty . If this bill passes senator said we can go back next year and do some changes . That’s all I know at moment . Wish I could have been there .

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Al Capone For This Useful Post:

98G (04-11-2018), bikeman (04-12-2018), marchplumber (04-11-2018)

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast